Jim Thome's 3B glove.. what was it? A2000 XL? XLO?

ibjr25

Addicted to Softballfans
It's been quite a while since I posted here, but I need some help guys.. I'm trying to hunt one of these down, but don't know exactly what I'm looking for..

Based on pics I've seen and baseball cards I have, it looks to be Jim Thome was using a USA made A2000 XL OR XLO.. I'm not quite sure.. If someone could chime in and help me out based on these pics, that would be great.

I am looking to purchase this model if I can find it.. Let me know, and any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

ibjr25

Addicted to Softballfans
Beautiful glove. What does it measure at ? If that's a true 12.5, that's a pretty big glove Thome was using at 3B..

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
Sorry sir, I'll have to measure it for you and it's not here at work with me. It's not as long as my 12" Pro12TC but that Rawlings is a long 12" glove. The XLO is definitely much wider though. There's a couple of XLO's on the bay right now.

MaverickAH

Beautiful glove. What does it measure at ? If that's a true 12.5, that's a pretty big glove Thome was using at 3B..

That glove could be a XLO or it could be an ELO. No way to really tell from those pictures. I will say that although they both were spec'd at 12.5", the ELO had a narrower pocket, played a little smaller & would've been more suitable for 3B.

It's also very likely that his glove is not stock. He probably had it made to his personal specs. It could be 12.5" or 12.25" or maybe even 12". If it is a pro issue, it might have a numerical ID as opposed to an alphabetical one.

gtb4

Star Player
It definitely looks like an XLO. Same web and overall shape. Thome is a big dude and that glove still looks pretty big on him. Wouldn't be surprised if it was a narrow 12.5". My early 80's USA XLO isn't wide at all. I doubt it's USA made though. Pretty sure all of Wilson's production moved overseas by 1987, so this would be Japan made.

Crusty

Addicted to Softballfans
I believe the Wilson SCELO was based off the Tome model. Basically the same glove as Tome just was made for youth outfield by closing up the hand opening.

NYC

Swag on 100.
You shouldn't be surprised that he used a 12.5 glove. These pro players are like 6'4" and 230 lbs. They are big boys.

gtb4

Star Player
I have one with a date code that indicates 1986. It is also made from Ansonia leather which means that Wilson would have exported it to Japan to made the glove.

You have a Japan-made A2000 with the Ansonia stamp code? You sure? I've never heard of that before.

ibjr25

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks all for the info. I see a couple on the bay, and am tempted to pick one up.

ibjr25

Addicted to Softballfans
Found this tonight.. I'm convinced it's an XLO.. I just with I could make out the text on the thumb.

MaverickAH

You have a Japan-made A2000 with the Ansonia stamp code? You sure? I've never heard of that before.

What is an "Ansonia stamp code"? I'm not familiar with this.

I do know that USA Wilsons can have a code indicating which factory they were made at but I never heard of or seen a leather code.

In any case, Ansonia leather has a very distinctive smell because of its tanning process that's unmistakable.

Also, when Wilson was making gloves both here & Japan, do you think that they were using different leather for each? I don't think so........

NYC

Swag on 100.

I do know that USA Wilsons can have a code indicating which factory they were made at but I never heard of or seen a leather code.

In any case, Ansonia leather has a very distinctive smell because of its tanning process that's unmistakable.

Also, when Wilson was making gloves both here & Japan, do you think that they were using different leather for each? I don't think so........

Not familiar with ansonia, how does it compare with horween?

gtb4

Star Player

The date code is on USA gloves - it's a 2 letter code by the "nylon stitched" wording on the outside of the thumb. First letter was year, second letter month. The gloves were only made at the Ironton factory in Ohio so there's no need for a factory code. And a2000 USA gloves were only made with Ansonia leather.

Ansonia leather is really incredible and compares favorably with the old school Horween leather. It literally feels like butter once it breaks in and it lasts a really long time if taken care of.

Were the gloves in Japan also made with Ansonia leather? No, I don't think they were. I have a bunch of each and the leather is distinctly different. A bunch of the old-timers at the vintage glove forum came to the same conclusion a few years back if you want to search through their archives.

gtb4

Star Player
Found this tonight.. I'm convinced it's an XLO.. I just with I could make out the text on the thumb.

That MLB logo tag on the wrist might put this in the "Pro Select" family of Wilson A2000's from the early 90's. Not sure. If it's a standard XLO then that writing on the thumb probably just says: "THE A2000"-XLO

MaverickAH

The date code is on USA gloves - it's a 2 letter code by the "nylon stitched" wording on the outside of the thumb. First letter was year, second letter month. The gloves were only made at the Ironton factory in Ohio so there's no need for a factory code. And a2000 USA gloves were only made with Ansonia leather.

Ansonia leather is really incredible and compares favorably with the old school Horween leather. It literally feels like butter once it breaks in and it lasts a really long time if taken care of.

Were the gloves in Japan also made with Ansonia leather? No, I don't think they were. I have a bunch of each and the leather is distinctly different. A bunch of the old-timers at the vintage glove forum came to the same conclusion a few years back if you want to search through their archives.

The date code is not only on USA gloves. It's also on foreign made glove except it's a 3 digit code with the first letter designating country of manufacture.

I've owned & used Wilson A2000 gloves since the late 60's through to this day. All of my A2000's were USA made until the late 80's & the 1st Japan made glove I purchased was the stiffest, hardest glove I've ever owned! I never could get that thing to fully break in! I kept it around for about 8 years & only used it a couple of times a year when I played against Major/Class A slow pitch players. Never felt a thing playing 3B with that glove! I would up giving it away. I now wish that I had held on to it but I wasn't a glove head back then. Until recently, I bought my last A2000 in 1996. It was an ELO & became my gamer then backup until I retired. I never even gamed another brand until the late 90's when I tried Nokona. Didn't fall in love with them & then tried Glovesmith which I was satisfied with until I switched to Vinci. I didn't get in to collecting until I retired from playing. I used A2000's exclusively for almost 30 years. Over that period it was 3 USA's (maybe 4?) &
2 Japan's & I still have my college glove squirrelled away somewhere.

I strongly disagree with you on Ansonia not being used on Japan gloves. I know what Ansonia smells & feels like. It's very distinctive. Almost "sweet" smelling. This glove is the same leather & my USA's were.........

If you're referring to the VBG Forum, I'm very familiar with the discussions there. There is no consensus on Ansonia not being used on Japan made gloves. FTR, neither of the made in Japan A2000's I've gamed smelled or felt like the one I now have in my possession & this one predates both of those. What may be unusual about this one is that the date code is inside the back of the wrist near the thumb. There is also a "2" stamped in there. I have no idea as to its significance.

gtb4

Star Player
The date code is not only on USA gloves. It's also on foreign made glove except it's a 3 digit code with the first letter designating country of manufacture.

I've owned & used Wilson A2000 gloves since the late 60's through to this day. All of my A2000's were USA made until the late 80's & the 1st Japan made glove I purchased was the stiffest, hardest glove I've ever owned! I never could get that thing to fully break in! I kept it around for about 8 years & only used it a couple of times a year when I played against Major/Class A slow pitch players. Never felt a thing playing 3B with that glove! I would up giving it away. I now wish that I had held on to it but I wasn't a glove head back then. Until recently, I bought my last A2000 in 1996. It was an ELO & became my gamer then backup until I retired. I never even gamed another brand until the late 90's when I tried Nokona. Didn't fall in love with them & then tried Glovesmith which I was satisfied with until I switched to Vinci. I didn't get in to collecting until I retired from playing. I used A2000's exclusively for almost 30 years. Over that period it was 3 USA's (maybe 4?) &
2 Japan's & I still have my college glove squirrelled away somewhere.

I strongly disagree with you on Ansonia not being used on Japan gloves. I know what Ansonia smells & feels like. It's very distinctive. Almost "sweet" smelling. This glove is the same leather & my USA's were.........

If you're referring to the VBG Forum, I'm very familiar with the discussions there. There is no consensus on Ansonia not being used on Japan made gloves. FTR, neither of the made in Japan A2000's I've gamed smelled or felt like the one I now have in my possession & this one predates both of those. What may be unusual about this one is that the date code is inside the back of the wrist near the thumb. There is also a "2" stamped in there. I have no idea as to its significance.

No disrespect meant. You're absolutely right about the feel of Ansonia leather and I'm sure you know the difference. Maybe the Japan-made a2000's you've had are pro issue and they used Ansonia for pro issues back then? And maybe that's what the "2" stamp on the inside signifies? I don't know. I was just going off of the 4 or 5 vintage Japan a2000's I've had and the leather that was on them. I thought what I had read on VBG was a consensus but I guess not.

MaverickAH

No disrespect meant. You're absolutely right about the feel of Ansonia leather and I'm sure you know the difference. Maybe the Japan-made a2000's you've had are pro issue and they used Ansonia for pro issues back then? And maybe that's what the "2" stamp on the inside signifies? I don't know. I was just going off of the 4 or 5 vintage Japan a2000's I've had and the leather that was on them. I thought what I had read on VBG was a consensus but I guess not.

No disrespect taken........;)

When Wilson officially moved all manufacture to Japan, they experimented with all different types of leather. Prior to that official move, I can't say for certain but I'm pretty sure that they exported leather from here for the gloves made in Japan. Since their gloves were still being made here, there would be very little reason for MIJ gloves to be sold here. Some may have made their way back here as samples (this might explain the "2" stamp) or maybe even through military personnel who bought back gloves purchased while stationed overseas. Just a guess........

My first MIJ A2000 that I talked about actually turned me away from further Wilson purchases at the time. The only reason for the purchase of the ELO in 1996 was because my favorite sports store was going out of business & was closing out all of its stock. The only thing high-end they had left was a Rawlings HOH, a Mizuno Classic Pro (don't remember the Model #'s) & the Wilson A2000 ELO. I really didn't need another glove but I couldn't pass on the $70 closeout price! I actually used it as an experiment on theories I had about breaking in a glove & that glove fortuitously turned out to be one of the best gloves I've ever owned!

I'm pretty sure that this XLO is not a Pro Issue. It's stock. I base this on having a 1793 from '91 that is a Pro Issue. The build quality & weight are immediately noticeable.

The XLO is 12.5" & 21.3oz on the scale.
The 1793 is 12.25" & 26.2oz on the scale.

The question of MIJ Ansonia A2000's was asked but never answered. I believe that I have the answer in my hands....... :thumb: