Joe Mauer to Red Sox

utcw201

☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼
I'm wondering if this will happen. The Red Sox just cleared all that dead weight and now are considering Mauer?

joee5

Addicted to Softballfans
don't think he has much left to offer. Couple years ago he would've fit in anywhere.

utcw201

☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼
It would be a great chance to pick up a position player, starting pitcher, and bolster the farm system.

3XC

Big Truss
I hope they turn into the MLB Redskins. Spend, spend, spend, lose, lose, lose.

Won't happen. Wins in baseball are bought and paid for.

mossman

That's how we dooze it!
As a local msp boy I hope so.
Agreed

If they just want more dead weight... They are welcome to him.
Agreed

Worst contract the Twins ever offered.
Agreed

Won't miss the first pitch taking,(95% of the time strike), fragile, GIDP kid.
Although if the Twins would've let the local boy go when his contract was up, there probably would have been a lynching in the front office. So in fairness their hands were tied.

tds

Addicted to Softballfans
Minnesota fans don't get baseball. Our market will always pay these "local heros"

freak98guy

Place Clever Title Here
Sports contracts should be performance based IMO... Give the guy a few million as a base salary (if he's a stud) and then make the remainder based on the number of hits, OBP, HR, RBI's, etc... I'd be willing to bet you'd see alot less guys go from amazing in a contract year to average after they get all their guaranteed cash.

This year, Joe is a $2 million a year guy, not $16 mil or whatever it is... It will NEVER be like that but most sports would be more fun to watch if it was.

juice64011

Addicted to Softballfans
It was a terrible contract for the Twins because it is so long and for too much but he is more than a 2 million dollar a year per guy. He has played all but 10 games this year and is batting .309 with a .403 on base percentage. His lifetime OBP is 3rd or 4th among active players and top 50 of all time.

utcw201

☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☼
Minnesota fans don't get baseball. Our market will always pay these "local heros"

If he really wanted to be the "local guy", face of the franchise, and have his family be at every home game he should have given them a home town discount. I can see him being worth $10-$12 million a year, but $23 is out of hand.

BB15

Ape Raids
Mauer is not worth the dough Minny is paying him (he wasn't when he signed his current contract), but he's hardly a slouch. Dude is still putting up an OPS north of .800. All the Twinkies fans wishing for him to be dealt...be careful what you wish for.

To answer the question in the OP though, no. Nobody is going to deal for Mauer. Not unless Minnesota eats a TON of his salary or takes on some other ****ty contract.

SMAC

mmmmmm...beeeer
If he really wanted to be the "local guy", face of the franchise, and have his family be at every home game he should have given them a home town discount. I can see him being worth $10-$12 million a year, but $23 is out of hand.

They paid him based on his fluke season where he hit 28 HR's and the last 3 seasons he has 20 total. I can't imagine any team is dumb enough to take on his contract. The only hope is if a team thinks the Twins hitting philosophy is holding back his power production and they think they can tweak his swing. I mean, he definitely hits the ball hard enough to be a 20-30 HR guy.

tds

Addicted to Softballfans

He doesn't wanna be. Our fans just think he does. I mean **** he basically threatened the twins when his contract was ending.

niteshadow

Addicted to Softballfans
Mauer is not worth the dough Minny is paying him (he wasn't when he signed his current contract), but he's hardly a slouch. Dude is still putting up an OPS north of .800. All the Twinkies fans wishing for him to be dealt...be careful what you wish for.

To answer the question in the OP though, no. Nobody is going to deal for Mauer. Not unless Minnesota eats a TON of his salary or takes on some other ****ty contract.

If we can get a couple players for him and some prospects, it's definitely worth trading him.

BB15

Ape Raids
If we can get a couple players for him and some prospects, it's definitely worth trading him.

Well yeah...of course it's worth it if the Twins get "a couple players and some prospects". But keep dreaming. If they moved him it would be a salary dump. Every GM in baseball knows that, so the package MINN gets in return would likely be pretty underwhelming...unless the Twins eat half his contract.

Hammerin' Hank

Addicted to Softballfans
2 things:

If they are willing to eat some of the $$ the Sox might jump on him.

Mauer has a no trade clause, and grew up in Minn, owns houses there, i doubt he wants to leave.

Id rather see the sox go after Mike Napoli to be honest. FA after this season.....

Last edited:

SMAC

mmmmmm...beeeer

I am not optimisitc on what prospects a team would be willing to part with considering the bloated salary. $23 million per year, $33 the final year.

BB15

Ape Raids
2 things:

If they are willing to eat some of the $$ the Sox might jump on him.

Mauer has a no trade clause, and grew up in Minn, owns houses there, i doubt he wants to leave.

Id rather see the sox go after Mike Napoli to be honest.

He's on a team that sucks that doesn't want him anymore. Any team who claims him is likely to be a contender, or close. Unless it's somewhere ****ty, don't expect for him to veto a trade.

hedge

life takes guts
He's on a team that sucks that doesn't want him anymore. Any team who claims him is likely to be a contender, or close. Unless it's somewhere ****ty, don't expect for him to veto a trade.

i'd like to see where you got this info

Hammerin' Hank

Addicted to Softballfans

red sox = ****ty

4th place, 6 games under 500....