John Calipari

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Obviously you don't get the local shows from Memphis. I was just pointing out that fans here were certainly critical of him. Like I said, I don't care at all what he does in KY. Good luck with him and I hope he leaves before the violations catch up to the program. And, yes, I would expect a coach to look into possible violations.

As would I, but you used a statement to media as your evidence. I wouldn't expect any coach to cast a cloud over his program in the media when asked that question.

I also think the phrase, look into, means slightly more than jack**** by anyone that uses it including myself most of the time.

eHall

Base burglar
60k in items stolen and 40k were fur coats? Was shaft playing for memphis.

I liken bob knight to rupp. Both won ballgames but had serious character flaws. Knight could never adapt nor admit that what he did was wrong. He couldnt/cant do the very thing he required of his players, to submit, adapt and play unselfishly within the system.

Rupp had many of the same problems with ego and adapting to a changing game and social environment.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
60k in items stolen and 40k were fur coats? Was shaft playing for memphis.

I liken bob knight to rupp. Both won ballgames but had serious character flaws. Knight could never adapt nor admit that what he did was wrong. He couldnt/cant do the very thing he required of his players, to submit, adapt and play unselfishly within the system.

Rupp had many of the same problems with ego and adapting to a changing game and social environment.

I am not saying anything Rupp did was right, but he has been credited for things that he never even said. This is another reason that people don't like Kentucky(shhh Bush Leaguer, not crying, just saying). They watch Glory Road and think it's a documentary instead of a film. His name was Adolph for goodness' sake.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ Wasn't Rupp like the last guy to play black characters? Legit question.

No, and that's what everyone thinks about him.

This is obviously a pro UK site, but it's the first to come up in Google.

http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/rupp.html

Even though they constantly say things like, everyone talked this way back then, etc., it does show for facts that he wasn't the last SEC coach to recruit black players, and he was one of the first to play against teams with black players out of conference. There's even a mention of how Miss St. had to sneak out of town after dark to go play in the NCAA tournament because it was integrated, and that they'd actually declined multiple invitations to play in it in years prior.

In my lightly biased opinion I think he was the same as everyone else from that era. Not the best, but definitely not the worst. He just happened to be the first coach to take an all white team against an all black team in the National Championship and lose. If they'd have won that game I don't think his reputation is half as bad as it ended up being because people made it about him being bitter about a loss.

AdamDawgDude

Addicted to Softballfans
Mississippi State had to deal with the retarded, racist state government. The university wasn't declining as much as they were not allowed to go ahead and play in the tournament. The state has rules for the university and it's not easy to go against those rules. It was even tougher in the 50s and 60s.

Babe McCarthy was an awesome coach in his day and it was VERY ballsy of him to sneak out and play in that tournament. He was also Bailey Howell's coach. Howell is the only player that has a retired number at Mississippi State. It was a shame that one of the best programs in the nation in the late 50s and early 60s didn't play in the tournament.

No, and that's what everyone thinks about him.

This is obviously a pro UK site, but it's the first to come up in Google.

http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/rupp.html

Even though they constantly say things like, everyone talked this way back then, etc., it does show for facts that he wasn't the last SEC coach to recruit black players, and he was one of the first to play against teams with black players out of conference. There's even a mention of how Miss St. had to sneak out of town after dark to go play in the NCAA tournament because it was integrated, and that they'd actually declined multiple invitations to play in it in years prior.

In my lightly biased opinion I think he was the same as everyone else from that era. Not the best, but definitely not the worst. He just happened to be the first coach to take an all white team against an all black team in the National Championship and lose. If they'd have won that game I don't think his reputation is half as bad as it ended up being because people made it about him being bitter about a loss.