USSSA Just a bit of help understanding a rule

Moose40

I make turtles look fast
Clarify.

You first say that the runner was a step or two away from the plate when you threw the ball.

Then you say he was a step or two away when it arrived. Arrived where? At the plate? That's a good arm :)

These are two very different scenarios.

If the runner was a step or two away when the catcher had the ball, he's the douche.

If he was a step or two away when you tried to throw him out, you're the douche. You are not going to throw someone out who is running and only 3-6 feet away from the plate. All you are going to do is hurt someone.

I understand it is an instinctive move and **** happens but, if that was the case, don't pin it solely on the runner.

If I painted a picture of him being a step or two away, when i threw the ball, I mistyped my scenario.

I originally typed:
The ball and runner met my catcher roughly the same time

and then typed:
I turned and threw the ball. My opinion, the runner was still a step or two away from the catcher. Again, my opinion, the ball arrived a step or two before the runner did

I don't believe either of those statements infers that the runner was a step or two when i threw the ball. But if I painted that sort of picture, I apologize.

What I can say is, I turned to throw the ball, the catcher received the ball, turned towards third base, got his glove ready to make the tag, and BAM, collision.

I was trying to say (maybe incorrectly previously) that the runner was a step or two away when the catcher had received the ball and attempted to make the tag. Again, I understand that even two steps, when running, isn't much time.

I still think the runner was kind of a douche, but my team also needs to teach our catcher not to play on the tracks like that.

joncon

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks for the clarification. If the catcher has the ball, he can have the plate....but it's still a very bad idea :)

Just tell him to stand a couple feet in front of the plate, slightly up the 3B line and try to carefully swipe tag the runner. Remind him that it's rec softball and the runner is likely a 200+ pound meat train without brakes.