Just heard no more double points for playing up?

Naugle40

Addicted to Softballfans
I've just confirmed this with our state director who just returned from the USSSA board meetings...

There ARE still double points for playing up in all qualifiers next year.

So, are there double points or not for playing up? You say there is but everyone else says only for NIT's, State and Nationals.

dychen

Phoenix SuperDraft
I have a feeling that USSSA heard all the complaining and is backtracking and going to implement double points for everything.

slamit93

<font color="#CC0000">SBF Fund Donor</font>
So, are there double points or not for playing up? You say there is but everyone else says only for NIT's, State and Nationals.

The email I received from our state director who just returned from the utrip board meetings said this:

Re. double points. This is a long story and a messy one. But yes, there will be double points this year again. If you want all the sordid details give me a call

Another director who was not at the meetings, but was in contact with our state director while he was at the meetings posted this on our local message board:

It's official: USSSA will continue to award double points in 2012.

I agree with post above mine, there was probably a whole lot of bitching and moaning going on and they reversed their decision. As far as I can tell, though nothing has changed.

dychen

Phoenix SuperDraft
Triple the points they don't mean **** anyway.

The only good thing about points that I have noticed is that the more you have usually equates to a later start time at World. Which is nice if you have a team that likes to sleep in. LOL

slamit93

The only good thing about points that I have noticed is that the more you have usually equates to a later start time at World. Which is nice if you have a team that likes to sleep in. LOL

Yeeeeeepppp... I think we were right around a "10 seed" going in to worlds this year. We didn't play before 1PM the first two days. I can't say that we had an "easier draw" than years past, because of the first round bye, and we didn't exactly play our best ball, but we definitely had the latest draw I've ever had. Also, I believe we were the top seed going in to our nationals, and we didn't play until the afternoon that day either.

synergy40

Addicted to Softballfans

This is the only advantage but if you play 10-13 tourneys you should have enough points to get at least a 10am start.

dychen

Phoenix SuperDraft
This is the only advantage but if you play 10-13 tourneys you should have enough points to get at least a 10am start.

10am might be late to you but for West coast teams 10am is still 7am. So I like when we go east and get the 1pm starts. :D

Naugle40

Addicted to Softballfans

They also help with seedings/later starts at Nationals which is a good thing if you're in Ocean City. :D

MR.PISSILE

Addicted to Softballfans
yeah great pay with credit card and pay the extra $15 in transaction fees.... another way for usssa to collect $$$$...... just like with new bats...:(

tnacty

Director
So we can put this to bed. I spoke to my boss, the Western VP as well as the Cinci area director this morning (the state director quoted earlier)

No double points for playing up in qualifiers.

Double points if you play up in an NIT, State or National.

If it's listed under 'qualifier' in the USSSA system, it'll be single points.

Bulldogg

<font color="#696969">OG Villain</font>
they'll still have C/D , D/E nit's.
but E teams wont receive dbl points for participating in the D/E nit
same with D teams playing in the C/D no dbl points.

there are very few single class tourneys in our area...
3-4 maybe for each class... so if you only want to play the class your approved for your season could be very limited.

E teams WILL be forced to play in this D/E nits if they want to play softball

class D will be the class that benefits the most from this.

C teams will have to break up unless they want to play the same 4 teams every weekend. D teams have no incentive to play up now either

WELCOME TO THE DEATH OF USSSA....

I really wish there was another option in southern Michigan other then USSSA.

Stevie I think you got this totally wrong here.. When at the manager's meeting Tony said that D/E NIT and C/D NIT still get the same double points, it is just those crap qualifiers that are D/E or C/D where you have one D or C team and have teams chasing the points when there is only 6 teams in the tournament.

Plus looking at the E tournaments this year, there are plenty of E tournaments by themselves for the E program in michigan to get by without any D/E tournaments..

No one gouges points in BS state level II or qualifiers in the northeast? :rolleyes:

http://www.usssa.com/sports/Team3.asp?TeamID=1602949

One of the most over hyped teams I have seen play.. Truly shows you that points don't matter, especially here in Michigan when you don't win money for having the most points in the region anymore.. Only thing points are good for is to sleep in on Saturday's locally..

Blame states like Michigan for this rule. They abused the hell out of the double points.

Yeah we truly abused it last year.. all we did was play in NITs basically.. maybe one or two qualifier.. Michigan has had a lot of NITs for a reason.. they are worth more than qualifiers.. Now if you would talk about Michigan sandbagging, I might have agreed with you.. But you can look at teams from Ohio who play in 2 tournaments a weekend.. Were not allowed to do that here in Michigan..

synergy40

Addicted to Softballfans
No one gouges points in BS state level II or qualifiers in the northeast? :rolleyes:

http://www.usssa.com/sports/Team3.asp?TeamID=1602949

One of the most over hyped teams I have seen play.. Truly shows you that points don't matter, especially here in Michigan when you don't win money for having the most points in the region anymore.. Only thing points are good for is to sleep in on Saturday's locally..

Just to let you guys know that team is horrible. They have been in E their entire existence and will always be E. They have no shor at any of thd good teams on thd island. Bulldog I'm not really sure where you got one of the most over hyped teams from, they are not hyped up from where they are from that's fir sure.

dychen

Phoenix SuperDraft
So we can put this to bed. I spoke to my boss, the Western VP as well as the Cinci area director this morning (the state director quoted earlier)

No double points for playing up in qualifiers.

Double points if you play up in an NIT, State or National.

If it's listed under 'qualifier' in the USSSA system, it'll be single points.

Someone forgot to tell the web guy then.

http://www.usssa.com/sports/Tournament3.asp?TournamentID=802008

TTK E team playing in C Qualifier got 110 pts for 2nd place. So did everyone else.

Also notice that the double points notification is still up on the USSSA website.

simpsonps121

Addicted to Softballfans
I don't care about double points or not... whatever is fine with me.

But I will not pay extra money for more points. It is not worth it.

But you can look at teams from Ohio who play in 2 tournaments a weekend.. Were not allowed to do that here in Michigan..
I would assume this is done in more than Ohio, but yes teams play a qualifier on Saturday and another on Sunday, heck, I have even seen some teams play Saturday morning, Saturday evening and Sunday morning.

Why would you not be allowed to do that is what I am wondering? Unfortunately this format leads to more smaller tournaments and less large tournaments, but there are still plenty of big tourneys in Ohio.

Bulldogg

<font color="#696969">OG Villain</font>
Just to let you guys know that team is horrible. They have been in E their entire existence and will always be E. They have no shor at any of thd good teams on thd island. Bulldog I'm not really sure where you got one of the most over hyped teams from, they are not hyped up from where they are from that's fir sure.

well when you come into a world tournament ranked as the #1 seed you tend to get hyped by that alone.. Plus it really did put a bulls eye on their back for teams who check the rankings prior to a tournament like that.

I would assume this is done in more than Ohio, but yes teams play a qualifier on Saturday and another on Sunday, heck, I have even seen some teams play Saturday morning, Saturday evening and Sunday morning.

Why would you not be allowed to do that is what I am wondering? Unfortunately this format leads to more smaller tournaments and less large tournaments, but there are still plenty of big tourneys in Ohio.

IDK why exactly we aren't allowed to, we use to be allowed but things have changed over the past few years.. Their are still plenty of qualifiers here in Michigan, but we also have a lot of NITs as well and most teams play in those, qualifiers tend to get less teams here.

Also yes I am sure other states besides Ohio does that, that is the state closest to us that we check to see their progress, honestly to me points don't mean a single thing. We don't get travel money for winning the region like they use to give away, so if you have a legit team the points really don't matter, only thing that is nice about it is that you can get a later start than some teams..

synergy40

Addicted to Softballfans
Ok well now you're talking about two different things bulldog. If the team liked to talk and hyped themselves up then they would be thd most over hyped team. If other teams talk **** about them then they are not over hyped. Teams are just talking, it's not their fault. This is two totally different scenarios.

Country35

Banned User
points do not ****ing matter, if you play your game and are legit better then most teams in class the sceding dont mean ****

slamit93

points do not ****ing matter, if you play your game and are legit better then most teams in class the sceding dont mean ****

They mattered to us when we didn't play before 1:50 for Nationals or the first two days of worlds... That and the sponsor that we picked up when we showed him that we were on the first page of the point rankings...

Country35

Banned User
They mattered to us when we didn't play before 1:50 for Nationals or the first two days of worlds... That and the sponsor that we picked up when we showed him that we were on the first page of the point rankings...

still if you are that good playing early aint gonna bother you

slamit93

Someone forgot to tell the web guy then.

http://www.usssa.com/sports/Tournament3.asp?TournamentID=802008

TTK E team playing in C Qualifier got 110 pts for 2nd place. So did everyone else.

Also notice that the double points notification is still up on the USSSA website.

I talked to our state director again... Double points are gone again... It's an ongoing debate... The website has not yet been updated to reflect the decision.

I personally think this is a horrible decision for utrip. I know at least locally, and I'm sure it's worse in other areas as Cincinnati is a fairly large softball area, but at least locally, the upper teams depend on teams playing up to fill their tournaments. This pretty much removes any incentive that was left for teams to enter the upper tournaments.

chest

Banned User
They needed to do sometging because of states like ohio and the point whoring. They were getting double points for lil bs 4 team tourneys. That is ridiculous! The people taking advantage ruined it for everyone....per usual with most rules lol

Country35

Banned User
They needed to do sometging because of states like ohio and the point whoring. They were getting double points for lil bs 4 team tourneys. That is ridiculous! The people taking advantage ruined it for everyone....per usual with most rules lol

the onyl times points clash with how other states is at nats and worlds....and if u have a **** ton of points you will more likely be playing a team that has a few points and plays another sanction most of the time, so it does nothing for you.

chest

Banned User
the onyl times points clash with how other states is at nats and worlds....and if u have a **** ton of points you will more likely be playing a team that has a few points and plays another sanction most of the time, so it does nothing for you.

Not true...we were a middle of the road team last year and played the team with the,second highest points at worlds. We smoked them and wondered why they assent very good (being honest) well most of it was point whornig online. Got them a really nice draw too. It helps more than most know.

Country35

Banned User
Not true...we were a middle of the road team last year and played the team with the,second highest points at worlds. We smoked them and wondered why they assent very good (being honest) well most of it was point whornig online. Got them a really nice draw too. It helps more than most know.

You got lucky bro. I can tell you at least a dozen tournaments where the lower scede pounded the higher seed. IT does not matter. Any tourney where sceding would actually maybe matter, there is enough teams in it that you are going to have to beat quality teams to win it. Either way, you gotta beat good teams, and if you cant you aint gonna win anyway. Its random ****ing luck bro, I assure you, until utrip requires you to earn your way into events instead of buying yor way in they wont matter. ANd if anything what you said shows I am correct.