Other Just trying to get my head around this

IrishBlue

Addicted to Softballfans
Ok umpires. I am a slow pitch umpire and so some of the fast pitch mechanics escape me but in the linked video can I ask a couple of questions. Don't get me started on the "Wearing a camera on the field" bit because that is just wrong in my opinion. Posting the video publically deserves a flogging.

First the video:

1: Isn't the plate umpire responsible for the dead ball call and award?
2: Possible obstruction on the slide play into 2nd but let's let that one go.
3: With runners on 1st and 2nd and 2 man mechanic is the field blue really supposed to start halfway between 2nd and 3rd like that? If so then who has what bag?
4: Calling obstruction? Is that a different discipline? What's wrong with the hand signal?
5: In the final play it looks like there is only a runner on 2nd and the field blue is back over in the left infield position and he has to get over and call at 1st?

Last edited by a moderator:

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
My take on your questions:

1. Any umpire can declare a dead ball. That particular play is one I've been involved with on countless occasions (overthrown ball to first) as both the PU and the BU. The batter-runner is the BU's responsibility all the way there and the PU should be watching any leading runners. In this situation, there was nobody on base, so both were watching the batter-runner. BU makes the award there typically but either can do it.
2. That's a judgement call, but I don't have obstruction there. She was sliding all the way whether that fielder was there or not and the girl had access to the base.
3. Yes, the BU starts in that "C" position between 2nd and 3rd with multiple runners on or a single runner on 2nd or on 3rd. BU has the initial play in the infield (other than home) and any play on the batter-runner. PU takes any play at home or any play on a lead runner (except the initial infield play).
4. That is the correct mechanic in both SP and FP. You are supposed to give the DDB signal and announce obstruction. Perhaps this person was a little overzealous with his screaming of it, but remember that his camera is amplifying the sound as well.
5. See my response to number 3. He is in the correct position and moves toward the base to make the call on the play on the batter-runner.

More seasoned guys may have different opinions and will not be shy about correcting me :D

Comp

Addicted to Softballfans
The batter-runner is the BU's responsibility all the way there

The batter-runner is actually the responsibility of the plate ump until 1/2 way to 1st base.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
2. That's a judgement call, but I don't have obstruction there. She was sliding all the way whether that fielder was there or not and the girl had access to the base.

Lame and inaccurate reasoning. Doesn't make any difference what the runner's intention was or if any or all of the base was accessible, either the fielder has possession of the ball or not when the OBS occurred.

3. Yes, the BU starts in that "C" position between 2nd and 3rd with multiple [runners on or a single runner on 2nd or on 3rd. BU has the initial play in the infield (other than home) and any play on the batter-runner. PU takes any play at home or any play on a lead runner (except the initial infield play).

No, the BU would not have a lead runner @ 2B except possibly on a tag-up on a caught fly ball.

4. That is the correct mechanic in both SP and FP. You are supposed to give the DDB signal and announce obstruction. Perhaps this person was a little overzealous with his screaming of it, but remember that his camera is amplifying the sound as well.

Verbal is a bad mechanic. Not saying that is not what is requested, but I have found it to create more problems than help. I did it twice when they first directed a verbal from the umpire and both times the players stopped playing because they heard the umpire say something when there was no immediate play being made. Since then, I will make a verbal, but only I am going to hear it.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
Lame and inaccurate reasoning. Doesn't make any difference what the runner's intention was or if any or all of the base was accessible, either the fielder has possession of the ball or not when the OBS occurred.

I see what you're saying. I don't see OBS in this situation there, though.

No, the BU would not have a lead runner @ 2B except possibly on a tag-up on a caught fly ball.

I don't think I said that. Or I confused myself. It happens. The "initial infield play", if on the lead runner, wouldn't that be the BU? I'll take your word and experience over my misremembering on that.

Verbal is a bad mechanic. Not saying that is not what is requested, but I have found it to create more problems than help. I did it twice when they first directed a verbal from the umpire and both times the players stopped playing because they heard the umpire say something when there was no immediate play being made. Since then, I will make a verbal, but only I am going to hear it.

Can't say I disagree.

AH23

Addicted to Softballfans
Pretty sure BU is responsible for the runner that is starting on 2B until the runner reaches 3B. Force at third would be BU call. At least in FP.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
I don't think I said that. Or I confused myself. It happens. The "initial infield play", if on the lead runner, wouldn't that be the BU? I'll take your word and experience over my misremembering on that.

Think about it. Other than on a possible tag up on a caught fly ball, when do you see the PU have a call @ 2B, even if it is a lead runner.