Keepers Choices

Gallops

Addicted to Softballfans
I may be the minority, but I go Reyes. High avg, runs, and SBs. Unless there's solid SS's available in the draft.

ssf

Too tired to care
I may be the minority, but I go Reyes. High avg, runs, and SBs. Unless there's solid SS's available in the draft.

You're definitely in the minority. He's had up and down seasons before. I think Cano is the safer bet.

bom

The Veteran
It's Cano or AGon. Cano edges out though only because of 2nd base. His ceiling and floor is the same as he is very consistent. 100/25/100/5 .300avg.

I'll make my case for Adrian Gonzalez as last year I believe will be his floor for the next 5 years.
This year he will be fully healthy as last year he played through shoulder pain and was unable to fully swing. :eek:
Everything will be up: runs, hrs, rbi. Would not be surprised if hits 40 hr again like he did at Petco. 120 runs maybe 140 rbi.

You can find a cheaper alternative for 50 steals from.

jtdavis7

Star Player
I vote for Adrian Gonzalez. 1B is not as deep as usual with a lot of question marks after the top 5. Cano is going to hit 28 HR with 100 Runs and 115 RBI. Gonzalez 35 HR 100 Runs and 115 RBI. Take the extra 7 to 12 HR's ! He could easily hit 40 HR's and 120 RBI !

Madbeers

Boss Awesomesauce
I almost want to change my avatar so I'm taken seriously. But the answer is AGone. Everyone is gonna be talking about him being the number 1 fantasy player next year. Write it down.

BAplaya11

Bombin' Outa Control
I vote for Adrian Gonzalez. 1B is not as deep as usual with a lot of question marks after the top 5. Cano is going to hit 28 HR with 100 Runs and 115 RBI. Gonzalez 35 HR 100 Runs and 115 RBI. Take the extra 7 to 12 HR's ! He could easily hit 40 HR's and 120 RBI !

comparing the 2 players above like you did makes you look like a megatard. Sure AGon might get you an extra 7-12 HR like you said, but Cano plays 2B and thats HUGE. The average 2B does not come close to the average 1B in terms of fantasy production, therefore making 2B a more VALUABLE position.

Now to answer the original question, i would keep Cano based on the reasons above. If you keep Cano and take even the 10th best 1B that duo will out produce the Agon and the 10th best 2B. Also if your league has MI and CI positions this makes Cano even more valuable.

jtdavis7

Star Player
comparing the 2 players above like you did makes you look like a megatard. Sure AGon might get you an extra 7-12 HR like you said, but Cano plays 2B and thats HUGE. The average 2B does not come close to the average 1B in terms of fantasy production, therefore making 2B a more VALUABLE position.

Now to answer the original question, i would keep Cano based on the reasons above. If you keep Cano and take even the 10th best 1B that duo will out produce the Agon and the 10th best 2B. Also if your league has MI and CI positions this makes Cano even more valuable.

1B is not as deep as usual and 2nd base is fairly deep. Not saying 2nd base is deeper than 1st but it's close which negates the "HUGE" impact of Cano playing 2nd. By your analysis it sounds like you would take Cano over Pujols and Miguel Cabrera. I think after this year A Gonzalez will be in their category.

The Crimedog

Best ASA Baterator
1B is not as deep as usual and 2nd base is fairly deep. Not saying 2nd base is deeper than 1st but it's close which negates the "HUGE" impact of Cano playing 2nd. By your analysis it sounds like you would take Cano over Pujols and Miguel Cabrera. I think after this year A Gonzalez will be in their category.

1B is plenty deep. You just don't have 7 guys going .300/30/100.

Late in the draft: Ike Davis, Chris Duda, Mark (I can't hit above .250) Reynolds, Adam Dunn.

Dunn is not done, the man was a consistant 35HR guy who had one of the worst seasons in baseball history. :rolleyes: I swore off Dunn (again) but that was until I saw his draft position.

Gallops

Addicted to Softballfans
1B is plenty deep. You just don't have 7 guys going .300/30/100.

Late in the draft: Ike Davis, Chris Duda, Mark (I can't hit above .250) Reynolds, Adam Dunn.

Dunn is not done, the man was a consistant 35HR guy who had one of the worst seasons in baseball history. :rolleyes: I swore off Dunn (again) but that was until I saw his draft position.

It's Lucas Duda.

And I'd still keep Reyes. After Reyes, Rollins, and Tulowitzki, there's a pretty big drop off at shortstop (assuming you count Hanley Ramirez as 3B now). SS is always one of the least deep positions, where at 2B there's Brandon Phillips, Dan Uggla, etc who can give some power numbers. SS gets very thin.

Keep Reyes and you won't regret it. Keepers aren't necessarily about keeping the best overall player, but keeping the player who will help you most. I'd rather take a pitcher or outfielder in a round where you would take a shortstop who will give you average production and not 50 SBs.

BAplaya11

Bombin' Outa Control

seriously?? you should stop talking before you look even dumber than you already are. i never said i would take cano over cabrera and pujols but over Agon, yep everytime.

The Crimedog

Best ASA Baterator
It's Lucas Duda.

And I'd still keep Reyes. After Reyes, Rollins, and Tulowitzki, there's a pretty big drop off at shortstop (assuming you count Hanley Ramirez as 3B now). SS is always one of the least deep positions, where at 2B there's Brandon Phillips, Dan Uggla, etc who can give some power numbers. SS gets very thin.

Keep Reyes and you won't regret it. Keepers aren't necessarily about keeping the best overall player, but keeping the player who will help you most. I'd rather take a pitcher or outfielder in a round where you would take a shortstop who will give you average production and not 50 SBs.

Oh hell, as a Met fan you'd think I wouldn't have f'd it up. :eek:

tattt3

Coach
It's Lucas Duda.

hell Reyes couldnt stay healthy in a contract year,now he has a huge contract.....REALLY? ...........Cano in my opinion as i to believe there are only a cple top 2nd base guys and there are maybe not as many at first as ushual,stilldeeper than 2nd

Gallops

Addicted to Softballfans
hell Reyes couldnt stay healthy in a contract year,now he has a huge contract.....REALLY? ...........Cano in my opinion as i to believe there are only a cple top 2nd base guys and there are maybe not as many at first as ushual,stilldeeper than 2nd

And there are even fewer at shortstop. At second base, you've got (in no particular order)

Cano
Pedroia
Uggla
Phillips
Kinsler
Zobrist
Michael Young (I know in Yahoo he has 2B eligibility)

Plus a few more solid starters at second base. At shortstop, you've got

Tulo
Reyes
Rollins
Hanley (if your league has him as eligible still)

After those, it's guys who had 1 good year and aren't necessarily locks to repeat performance. Second base is deeper with proven talent, while SS lacks the proven talent in depth. This is why Jose Reyes is the best option as a keeper, because you can always draft a Dan Uggla or Brandon Phillips. Instead of having Cano and say, Erick Aybar.

tbatti

Addicted to Softballfans
So consensus sounds like keep Cano, draft Reyes round 2 (if available) and then 1B round 3?

The Crimedog

Best ASA Baterator
Sure but you'll miss out on a top 10 pitcher if you do that, be warned. I like to grab one of the top 5 guys if I can.

Gallops

Addicted to Softballfans
You likely won't get Reyes round 2. That's why you keep him. Cano is a great player to have, don't get me wrong, but there are pleanty of other players who will put up very good numbers at 2B out there, and not nearly as many shortstops who will. You gotta take position scarcity into account with keepers. Especially if you only keep one player.

tbatti

Addicted to Softballfans
Sure but you'll miss out on a top 10 pitcher if you do that, be warned. I like to grab one of the top 5 guys if I can.

We keep 1 pitcher and it was Lincecum. No worries there. Basically keepers were round 1 - Cano and then round 2 Lincecum.

I kept Cano and missed Reyes by 2 spots. Oh well, I ended up drafting Votto with my first pick (3rd round) and then Longoria (4th round) with the snake format. Gambled with Rollins at SS with my next pick (5th round). Thanks guys.

Last edited:

The Crimedog

Best ASA Baterator
We keep 1 pitcher and it was Lincecum. No worries there. Basically keepers were round 1 - Cano and then round 2 Lincecum.

I kept Cano and missed Reyes by 2 spots. Oh well, I ended up drafting Votto with my first pick (3rd round) and then Longoria (4th round) with the snake format. Gambled with Rollins at SS with my next pick (5th round). Thanks guys.

Not the worst thing in the world,like i said, Cano is not BAD by any means. A .300/30/100 guy at 2B is awesome.

Cano/Longroia/Votto/Lincicum is a solid 1-4.