last wilson leather question

Jomatty

Starting Player
So this is similar to a question I asked a few months ago. I've been trying to decide whether to go with a Rawlings or Wilson custom. I purchased a 303 and already have a 302 to try and find a Rawlings pattern that I like as well as the 1799 but it just doesn't exist. I would much prefer Rawlings leather and rough welting but anyways...

So I've got a deal worked out and am going to pull the trigger on the custom by Monday. I want to do something with a nod to the Orioles but don't want to sacrifice on leather quality while doing so. Even though a very reputable source has told me the orange leather is nice I am still worried that it will not be as nice as the orange tan. I know what I am getting with the black, and while I don't love it, I like it fairly well. I have no experience with the orange tan, but I know that it is thought highly of.

How much stiffer is the orange tan to the orange? How about orange tan compared to black? The look I like the best is probably black with orange on the thumb and wrist. At the end of the day this is gonna be my gamer though, and I am willing to sacrifice aesthetics for better leather. What say you Wilson Guru's? Is orange tan the best and if so how much better than black and how much better than orange?

dford42

Addicted to Softballfans
I thought the orange tan on my EL3 was soft to be honest. Very buttery. If you're going to do it in small areas for aesthetics I think it would be fine.

Jomatty

Starting Player
That actually makes it easier. I had it in my head that the OT was the stiffest, so I was thinking about doing the palm and back of the glove in OT for that reason. If it is no stiffer than the black, Ill just go with a black glove with an orange web and thumb, which is the look I prefer.

dford42

Addicted to Softballfans
yeah I think youd be safer going that route in my opinion but others might chime in differently.

beeblebobble

Starting Player
Not sure if this is for a2000 or a2k but on both my 2013 A2K's 1786 and G4 the OT is softer than the Black.

MNCFer

Mr. Glass
I thought the orange tan on my EL3 was soft to be honest. Very buttery. If you're going to do it in small areas for aesthetics I think it would be fine.

I will echo this statement. My OT EL3 was also soft, felt amazing on the hand though.

I agree the leather is butter soft, but I didn't think the glove overall was soft. It took me forever to break in my 1781.....while the 1799 A2k was gamer in a day. I get the A2k to A2000 difference but id have no problems ordering an OT custom again, especially since it is only going to be used on parts of your glove.

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
There is orange tan, orange and Jose Fernandez orange. The latter glows. The BW38 in the back right is orange and the custom 1781 on the top left is OT.

image.jpg1_zpsnyzcfyaw.jpg

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
Almost every colored leather does not hold up as well as black. That said buttery leather is not bad just not as stiff.The rolled dual welt on Wilson gloves is IMO better than the rough flat welt of Rawlings, I feel the dual welt lends more structure and looks bad ass. I say go Orioles and use the orange as an accent color, the glove will be stiff enough and still emulate one of the greatest small market franchises go ever. BTW Brooks Robinson is my fav player of all time!

David the Gnome

The Veteran
Almost every colored leather does not hold up as well as black. That said buttery leather is not bad just not as stiff.The rolled dual welt on Wilson gloves is IMO better than the rough flat welt of Rawlings, I feel the dual welt lends more structure and looks bad ass. I say go Orioles and use the orange as an accent color, the glove will be stiff enough and still emulate one of the greatest small market franchises go ever. BTW Brooks Robinson is my fav player of all time!

I agree with all of this except for the greatest small market franchise ever bit. :biggthumpup:

Something like this would look pretty BA. Or maybe with black welting to tone down the orange a little bit.

npq6hi.jpg

Jomatty

Starting Player
I agree with all of this except for the greatest small market franchise ever bit. :biggthumpup:

Something like this would look pretty BA. Or maybe with black welting to tone down the orange a little bit.

npq6hi.jpg

That is very similar to what I am thinking except I was leaning towards an orange thumb. Also wondering if an orange web would be too much.

Jomatty

Starting Player

I agree that we are not talking a better worse situation when it comes to softer, buttery leather. It just is not my preference. The dual rolled welting I think looks good also but am not sure about it adding more structure. I'd rather go split but it's not a big deal.

Jomatty

Starting Player
Do you guys think that an orange thumb and/or web is overkill? That's what I was gonna do but looking at gnomes mock up, his looks much classier. I'm kinda torn. I like the orange welting but could do an orange thumb and black welting. Or I could do just the wrist in orange.

Another thought is to leave the glove how David mocked it up but have the binding in orange and use black lace for the heel.