ASA League Director allowing a Utrip bat??

JJR12

Addicted to Softballfans
Okay ASA umps gotta question for you.

a LD that does the compression test on bats, test a Utrip bat and it passes the test, puts the sticker on it and allows the team to swing this bat because "they didn't know it wasn't on the list." Bat was a Miken Psycho. The LD claims that the bat wasn't that hot of a bat anyway... :rolleyes::rolleyes: So he gives them a letter allowing them to use the Miken Psycho.

So as an umpire umping this game what would you do if the opposing team decides to go over and use the approved Utrip bat?? Would you allow the opposing team to use the bat because the League director approved it?? Or would you make the team with the bat put it away if both teams can't use it??

Basically this is a situation where ignorance pays off...

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Just because a league plays under ASA rules doesn't mean that League Directors are 100% bound to every single rule within the book. They are free to modify the rules as they see fit, including bat restrictions.

So long as I don't suspect that the sticker's a fake, I'd probably allow the bat. If the team has a letter from the LD that states that he approved the bat, then the liability is on him, not me.

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
^^ Makes me feel better that all three of my Recoils are stickered for use in a local ASA league.

I just wanted to see how much attention the LD paid to the bats that were being approved, so I handed over all three at the same time and he didn't blink at them being different colours. I was disappoint. Haven't used it in a game, almost certainly won't, but it's fun to have.

JJR12

Addicted to Softballfans
Just because a league plays under ASA rules doesn't mean that League Directors are 100% bound to every single rule within the book. They are free to modify the rules as they see fit, including bat restrictions.

So long as I don't suspect that the sticker's a fake, I'd probably allow the bat. If the team has a letter from the LD that states that he approved the bat, then the liability is on him, not me.

But would you allow the other team to use the bat as well?? Even though the team without the letter does have Utrip bats but no stickers and the LD won't allow any other Utrip bats to be used...

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
But would you allow the other team to use the bat as well?? Even though the team without the letter does have Utrip bats but no stickers and the LD won't allow any other Utrip bats to be used...

My explanation is simple: "Look, this league is going by modified bat rules, and the rules say it must have a sticker. I don't know why your bat doesn't have a sticker, and that's not up to me. If you have an issue with the rule, take it up with the LD."

For all I know, the team consciously decided to not let the LD do the compression test. If the LD didn't sticker their bat, that's not my problem.

JJR12

Addicted to Softballfans
My explanation is simple: "Look, this league is going by modified bat rules, and the rules say it must have a sticker. I don't know why your bat doesn't have a sticker, and that's not up to me. If you have an issue with the rule, take it up with the LD."

For all I know, the team consciously decided to not let the LD do the compression test. If the LD didn't sticker their bat, that's not my problem.

LD response was "I felt sorry for the guy that spent that much money on a bat."

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
If the now-uneven playing field bothers you, acquire a Psycho. They're easy enough to come by. If it passes compression testing, LD has to either allow yours or disallow the other one -- in which case yours is easy enough trade away.

bamaboy1626

You need my opinion!!!
OMG people.... there isn't that much difference and there is no liability on anyone. You signed waivers saying you may get hurt and it's on you. I'm sure the waiver didn't say that you are only safe if the other teams is using bats strictly approved by one money hungry overly controlling association that sucks.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
OMG people.... there isn't that much difference and there is no liability on anyone. You signed waivers saying you may get hurt and it's on you. I'm sure the waiver didn't say that you are only safe if the other teams is using bats strictly approved by one money hungry overly controlling association that sucks.

Waivers are barely worth more than the paper upon which they're printed. A waiver sets the expectation when there's an incident that prompts a lawsuit, but it's a judge and jury who decide whether to carry it out.

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans

Not that much difference?

Wow, the furor over the Voltage had me fooled. I thought all that was because there was a colossal difference in bats. There much be absolutely no difference between a top tier USSSA bat and a top tier ASA bat...and definitely not when they're using .44/375 balls. :rolleyes:

And NCASAUmp is right, waivers are rarely worth more than the paper they're printed on.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans

You haven't a clue.

You, nor anyone else, has the authority to sign a waiver releasing anyone from liability.

bamaboy1626

You need my opinion!!!
You haven't a clue.

You, nor anyone else, has the authority to sign a waiver releasing anyone from liability.

i hear ya buddy...... remember that when you try to file some frivilous lawsuit because you get hit bay a batted ball. You guys are a bunch of sissies. Altered equipment is one thing, but whining about every single thing you can come up with is retarded.

Fin09

Addicted to Softballfans
Allowing USSSA bats in an ASA event because they pass the compression test is irresponsible at best, but it's his event, and if he wants to allow any bat that passes the test, it's his prerogative, I guess. The ASA testing procedure does not involve a compression test, so the results will not be accurate. If he allows one Psycho, he should allow all of them. He's going to end up testing every USSSA bat out there, though, and he's going to regret having to do that.
He's opening a can of worms by doing this...

JJR12

Addicted to Softballfans
Why dont you call the LD and see if you can convince him to let you use some Utrip bats?

I did, and he said no... Asked if any of my Utrip bats pass the test if I could get a sticker for it... he said NO.

Allowing USSSA bats in an ASA event because they pass the compression test is irresponsible at best, but it's his event, and if he wants to allow any bat that passes the test, it's his prerogative, I guess. The ASA testing procedure does not involve a compression test, so the results will not be accurate. If he allows one Psycho, he should allow all of them. He's going to end up testing every USSSA bat out there, though, and he's going to regret having to do that.
He's opening a can of worms by doing this...

Like I said earlier, he only allowed that ONE bat because he felt sorry for them because they spent all that money on a bat and nobody caught it that it didn't have an ASA stamp on it when they bought it and also the tester didn't catch it when he tested it....

If the now-uneven playing field bothers you, acquire a Psycho. They're easy enough to come by. If it passes compression testing, LD has to either allow yours or disallow the other one -- in which case yours is easy enough trade away.

He wouldn't allow any UTRIP bats to be tested.... and he continued to allow the other team to use theirs....

I'm just trying to get an idea to what an umpire would do if this ONE and only Utrip bat allowed in the league is allowed to be used by this team, what would an umpire do/say if the opposing team decided to walk into the other dugout and use the other teams approved Utrip stick??

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I'm just trying to get an idea to what an umpire would do if this ONE and only Utrip bat allowed in the league is allowed to be used by this team, what would an umpire do/say if the opposing team decided to walk into the other dugout and use the other teams approved Utrip stick??

GTFO of that dugout and don't go back in there again.

Second offense, gone.

Fin09

Addicted to Softballfans
I'd have a serious problem with a LD who allowed one team to break the rules because someone wasn't smart enough to buy a bat with the right stamps on it. This kind of inconsistency is what gives a lot of LDs bad names. Making up rules as they go along always ends badly. If one team showed up with a dozen Psychos to play the team with one, the LD wouldn't allow the team with 12 of them to swing them? I'll bet he'd end up being talked into allowing all of them, or he'd have one really upset team on his hands.

baseman

in your face nancy grace
personally i wouldn't care if the league director approved it. It would not be allowed on MY field. I laugh at guys in my league that go out and by the wrong associations bats "by accident" and want to use cause they have nothing else. Then i tell them about this site so they can trade the bat for a proper asa approved bat.

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
He wouldn't allow any UTRIP bats to be tested.... and he continued to allow the other team to use theirs....

Don't walk up with just a USSSA bat to have it tested, walk up with a Psycho. He can't disallow an identical bat if it passes testing.