League Poll

bostonpete

Addicted to Softballfans
I am doing a little research for our softball league in upstate New York. It is the Hudson valley Men's Softball League which currently is a 10 Man league with no bunting or stealing. My question to leagues around the states is: What are your entry fees, and what does it include? Currently our league is $450 and that includes only the balls for play. Each team pays the umpire $25 per game ($50 total for 1 ump), and the scorekeeper gets $10 from each team ($20 total per game). Additionally each player has to pay a $15 fee before even stepping onto the field for insurance. We usually play 20 games, so the fee is $450, the umps are $500, the insurance is $225 (minimum of 15 players) and the score keeper is $200. Grand total=$1375.

How does this stack up against other leagues?

Elohssa6

Addicted to Softballfans
Rockland county

$1800 lg fee. Approximately 18 games plus playoffs
And
$40/team/game to the umpires

Legends15

Addicted to Softballfans
Sudbury, MA 16-20 team league, 3divisions. $1,800/team includes 2umps, lights, balls for 16 games and 2 rounds of playoffs.

gofisch

I knew our league was charging too much and I had done some research on it. But now I'm positive.

7 teams, 24 games, only four teams make round robin playoffs, 2 umps, lights when necessary, balls. $3000

Coachb12

Addicted to Softballfans
Staten Island $900 entry fee $100 forfeit fee 15 games plus playoffs lighted field scorebook $50 for umps you have to buy own balls and a set of bases
umps 16x50=800
balls 16x7=112
entry fee and forfeit fee $1000
total $1912
bribes and under the table payments tbd

blakcherry329

Park Ridge, NJ-$1900. 18 game schedule. Includes everything, except balls. Nice turf field with a fence all around. Worth every penny. :D

tsmoke18

Addicted to Softballfans
ELANCO League
Strasburg, PA
11 teams, 2 divisions, 25 games plus 8 teams make playoffs (3-3-5 format)
2 nice fields
$950 league fee includes field rental, lights, insurance, and balls
$35 umpire fee for each game (not playoffs) $875 total
$100 one time entrance fee to take fines out of, when you drop out of the league you get it back
*mandatory to work one state tournament we hold at the park to raise money

buildingmaint

Addicted to Softballfans
To the best of my knowledge, our Modified league charges, $500.oo sponcer fee, $40.00 player fee. Which includes 28 game schedule, playoffs, umps, balls, insurance, lights. If they charged more , there would be no modified league. The cities we play in own the fields, so no rental charge, who owns the fields that the leagues have to rent ?????

strategy8

i'd rather be golfing...
hmmm... i'm not exactly sure, but i know it's close...

-PA - something like $400 entry fee for new teams; $3-350 for returning teams... includes field, lights, umps...
(umps get paid out of pocket for forfeits by forfeiting team)...
-a lotto-ticket sale is league mandatory, roughly 5 per player, $20 per ticket, ticket is a month long pick-3 number/calender with prizes for your number varying by day...
(those things don't sell very well either, and difference from unsold tickets comes out of pocket)...
-they make up alot of extra cash with concession sales (and beer sales) at the games...
-balls, uni's, extra cirricular tournament fees, eveything else is paid out of pocket...
and no insurance, play at your own risk...

so roughly $18-1900 per team with the ticket sales covers a 16 game schedule + playoffs, and all games for all teams are on saturdays and sundays only, 1pm, 3pm, and 5pm, all at the same field which is owned by the league sponsor... so at 500 per, +concession(beer) sales for 3 games saturday and 3 games sunday, i'm sure they do ok...
especially considering all other team expenses are paid out of pocket... all they do is pay the refs, keep the field maintained (with our help), and occasionally turn on the lights when late games run into the darker hours of the night, which is pretty late in the summer time so doesn't happen often, unless games run late, pushing other games back which then run late...

Last edited:

strategy8

i'd rather be golfing...
(minimum of 15 players) Grand total=$1375.

How does this stack up against other leagues?

tell ya what though, that's still not too bad... less then $100 per player...

figure the mandatory "ticket" sales we have at 5 per guy, comes to $100 a player right there + entry fees... so i guess ontop of the entry fee, sure we're selling the tickets, which "might" sell so we're not paying out of pocket, but if we can't seel 'em we are paying out of pocket, and they "might" win or might not being based on the lottery numbers...

it's still another $1500 more per team that the leagues making ontop of the entry fees, for 10 teams (maybe 12 this year), the leagues banking $20000 + concession sales, and if someone wins on a ticket, they might have to pay out $2000, or $100 depending on what day of the month it is... roughly roughly $7500 for ref's... they're definitely making at least 10k every summer...

(i need to own a softball field and sponsor a league... if i build it, you think they'll come?)...

OllieCut

Addicted to Softballfans
Middletown, NY league is $1100 for everything including insurance. Good league although it is light on teams. That and at time it doesn't seem like anyone cares. Nobody takes care of the fields properly. It has changed a lot since it switched from windmill years ago. I remember watching my father pitch and there was always someone in the booth with a score book and running the scoreboard. Havnt seen the scoreboard used during league play in the last 12 years. Would be nice if they could kick back something to the players at the end of the year. Maybe a banquet dinner and give out awards or something. That will never happen tho.

goup24

Addicted to Softballfans
keene n.h league is 650 40 per player includes state registration lights umps balls scorebook, 18 games plus playoffs, team awards and player awards, 57 teams this yr 6 divs

bostonpete

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks For The Input

Thanks to all who have responded so far. I should note that this fee allows us to play at two complexes with lights; although neither charges us for the use of fields or lights. We also have an end of the year awards ceremony/banquet.

muddog099

Addicted to Softballfans
whats up pete we pay $825.00 league fee includes fields and balls we pay $24.00 a game for umps so total we pay around $1200.00dollars a year up here in andys we get a total of around 75mens team and 75 coed teams here most of those 75 mens team are not good.

midnite6

Addicted to Softballfans
Staten Island

We pay &750.00 league. It includes..........playing. Umps are $42.00 per team per game double headers total $84.00. We supply balls at $7.00 each and bring all bases except for home and first. Usually have a 18 game season plus playoffs best of 3

adtsoftball

Addicted to Softballfans
Rochester NY:

I thought we were high, HOLY CRAP!!!
Average league cost is about $600. Average amount of games is 12, then playoffs. Almost all leagues include balls AND ump fees (no extra out of pocket). Most league are U-Trip umped so the insurance is paid for in you u-trip reg fee. 4 digits for a league is way nutty. But as i read, some are 20+ games, but paying for umps at the field is dumb IMO, that's wasted beer cash for after :).

Last edited:

patdapitcher

Addicted to Softballfans
ISA Central Jersey $850 for new teams, $750 for returning teams. $45 per team for the umpires paid at the field. 12 games then playoff. Grand total not including playoff umps: $850 +$540= $1390

Daniel3_28

Addicted to Softballfans
wow

im totally blown away by how much you guys pay to play modified! we (league teams) were grumbling when it went up this year from 550 to 600. we might be the only league in california that plays modified (central cali). 17 games including 2 week playoffs. our end of the year round robin tourney,where all 18 teams get to participate, gets umped by players and coaches. we also only play on friday so that might make a big difference when it comes to light cost. asa league balls are included in the price.

pickup76

Addicted to Softballfans
Mst League South Boston, MA (sbsports.com) is $500 league fee includes 18 games plus playoffs, lights, and balls. 1 ump $20 per game per team.

NBRYAN

The Rookie
Warren PA, we have 2 to different modified leagues, A rec and an over 30. Both cost $300 league fee and $300 player fee for a total of $600. This includes everything, balls, umps, ect.. 16 game schedules plus playoffs. Both leagues have between 12 and 15 teams seems kind of reasonable after looking at the other posts now.

buildingmaint

Addicted to Softballfans
I remember when I played seasons ran from Mid May - September, 28 game regular season , and playoffs, now 12-18 game seasons seem to be the norm , at two games a week softball is over before August.