Leather color durability

chavist93

If I can't find a used 1781 for a decent price, I'm going to just order a custom. Are there any colors that are inherently more or less durable than others? I'm mainly considering charcoal grey or saddle tan.

huntaholic21

Addicted to Softballfans
What about the tf-21? There is one fs on the board for $205. Almost the same glove, but with an h-web.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
All colors fade. Black fades least. Otherwise think about what it will fade to. Grey fades to light grey. Tan to lighter tan. Red to pink. Blue to lighter blue, etc. Black, tan. brown, and orange tan are probably the best bets.

DatDuke

In my experience, black fade the least, Red fade the most. along with Blue. Camel is OK but they get dirty easily, Orange Tan is great as long as you dont compare it with a new orange tan later on. Gray has been fine with my A2K. But I hardly use the glove. I purchase mainly used glove, and thats what I have seen with my purchases and season after season of use by my kids.

chavist93

That's about what I figured. Any idea why wilson won't allow you to use gunmetal grey on they palm? They just say for "performance reasons."

etnstudios

Addicted to Softballfans
i thought the gun metal had some kind of flake in it to make it sparkle. my guess is that it would end up tearing through itself if it was used in the palm or web

fuzzai

Starting Player
I had a KP92 in gunmetal.
Although nice, the leather feels like a pleather. cheap, but its not, just the feeling of whatever they put in the leather to make it look gun metal. It could also be pretty slippery...You'd have to make ur glove look like Brett Lawries to keep a ball from popin' out.

bigmac25

Extra Hitter
Lot of truth in this thread.
When I 1st got back into gloves I found out my go to 1b pattern was out of production for the 1st time in yrs.Its since come back, but all I could find new was a AP5. Same as the CMHC, just with a red web as most of you know. The more I looked into it after I got it, the more I started finding pictures of my beautiful cardinal red and black glove that had turned pink and black. Even after the 1st lexol application my sponge was now red and I could was ready see the change happening before my eyes so I got out of it as my OCD would have gone through the roof.

This spring I made a red/navy/camel custom cmhc. Red Palm, Navy Shell. I figured dye color and leather had improved in the last 5 years so I gave it a shot. Bad call... but not even because of the red. Truth is, the Navy faded a bit but in stead of being a deep vibrant blue it just kinda turned a flat worn looking blue. So it faded in that sense, not to a light blue. The red stayed pretty much the same after one season BUT the pocket looks crummy as the ball obviously wears it when being caught. Not a good look as its a greyish color under the dyed layer.

That bring me to my final bit of advice. These colors wear poorly. Fading aside, ANY little blemish such as when you dive for a ball and drag you glove across the dirt and it gets a little scrape.. that scrape POPS!!!! It just blends in on a tan or even to a lesser extent black. I get gloves are meant to be used and scrapes and wear happen as thats natural. I'd guess that because just the top on the leather is dyed, if its a deep enough scrape to get to the grey underneath it stands out because its more contrasting than a black or tan? no clue why, but the colored gloves even LOOK more used than they really are and its prob due to the afore mentioned reasons.
Good luck!