Legal Bats Taken Up After Failing Compression Test

toad_2

Semiretired Player
I vote test 'em all before hand or let the LD provide the bats. I would suggest going wood but someone would try to cork it...

photo_lg_corked_bat_collection.jpg

Hebrew Hacker

Derby Jew
Test a handful of bats when an issue comes up, or test every bat in the tournament (easily 100+) before the tournament starts?The original issue wasn't about a stock bat getting thrown out; it was about a stock bat being destroyed or its owner getting banned.

It's pretty easy to test every bat before the tourney. Each team can have 20 bats tested, no more. Bats that fail are tagged with the owner's name, address, phone, and team, and they get them back at the end of the tourney (or when their team is eliminated). Bats that pass are put in a bucket/trash can with the team's name on it. Umpires are responsible for bringing the cans to the field before the game they're working, and they're kept in the on-deck area. If a bat is carried to the bench area by accident, it is no longer able to be put back in the can.

During play, if a pitcher gets drilled, they test the bat again, and if it fails, it gets sent to the manufacturer.

chest

Banned User
Here is what happened here at a local Tourny. A bat was taken and failed compression. The bat was then sent back to the manufacturer where it was deemed legal. The Tourny told the individual the if he used the bat again in one of their tournies he is suspended for knowingly using a HOT bat (Stock or NOT!).

Now what the person did was he sent the bat back to the Manufacturer and told them what happened, they in turn sent him a WARRANTY Bat back for the one he sent in.

Everyone was happy!!
This is,exactly how it should happen every time!

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
It's pretty easy to test every bat before the tourney. Each team can have 20 bats tested, no more. Bats that fail are tagged with the owner's name, address, phone, and team, and they get them back at the end of the tourney (or when their team is eliminated). Bats that pass are put in a bucket/trash can with the team's name on it. Umpires are responsible for bringing the cans to the field before the game they're working, and they're kept in the on-deck area. If a bat is carried to the bench area by accident, it is no longer able to be put back in the can.

During play, if a pitcher gets drilled, they test the bat again, and if it fails, it gets sent to the manufacturer.

And it's hard to get umps to move from behind the plate during the game....now you want them doing heavy lifting before the game too? :D

How does that work in a place like Mercer or Medford where the fields are geographically separated?

Primetime2

Addicted to Softballfans
Test the bats before the tourney. If the bat passes then it is cleared for the tournament. No need to test again even if a player is hit because that bat has already passed before hand. That simple.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
Test the bats before the tourney. If the bat passes then it is cleared for the tournament. No need to test again even if a player is hit because that bat has already passed before hand. That simple.

Right, because there have never been stories about guys rolling bats in the parking lot......ya know, AFTER they were tested. :rolleyes:

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
Compression testing is a joke plain n simple. Waaaaay too much room for error...

It's based on pseudoscience in the first place, so you're bound to get erroneous results. I was on a crusade for a while to find out exactly how the hell 220lbs of compressive force equates to a certain expected BBS in the lab, and when I finally found someone knowledgeable enough the answer I was given was basically "It doesn't; it's mostly smoke and mirrors."

On the one hand I welcome it as an attempt to clean up the game. On the other, knowing it's pretty faulty science and highly subject to user error, I'm less inclined to be thrilled when it becomes more commonplace. That, and it'll probably fail 4 of my 5 OG Easton FP bats...:mad:

Hebrew Hacker

Derby Jew
And it's hard to get umps to move from behind the plate during the game....now you want them doing heavy lifting before the game too? :D

How does that work in a place like Mercer or Medford where the fields are geographically separated?

It's a question of scheduling and logistics more than anything else.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
It's a question of scheduling and logistics more than anything else.

There are 2 more flaws.....guys have been known to "lend" friends on other teams their bats. If their bat fails and is kept until they are eliminated, what is stopping them from handing it off? Some bats have failed a couple of times then passed (the human element to testing). On the other side, a player shouldn't have to stay until midnight to get his bat back when he was eliminated by noon.

Also, most players aren't comfortable leaving their equipment unattended with someone else who is "supposed to be" responsible for it. I can see the umpires talking about a particular bat, pull it out of a trash can to look at it or whatever, then forgetting exactly which can they pulled it from. Now what? Different color stickers for each team?

Good concept, just some flaws with it as well. Now if every tourney was like Nationals where there is a main complex, with a centralized Umpire Station, and had a full-time TD and UIC on site then it would work as you stated. Reality though, most tourneys don't have that luxury.

Hebrew Hacker

Derby Jew
There are 2 more flaws.....guys have been known to "lend" friends on other teams their bats. If their bat fails and is kept until they are eliminated, what is stopping them from handing it off? Some bats have failed a couple of times then passed (the human element to testing). On the other side, a player shouldn't have to stay until midnight to get his bat back when he was eliminated by noon.

Also, most players aren't comfortable leaving their equipment unattended with someone else who is "supposed to be" responsible for it. I can see the umpires talking about a particular bat, pull it out of a trash can to look at it or whatever, then forgetting exactly which can they pulled it from. Now what? Different color stickers for each team?

Good concept, just some flaws with it as well. Now if every tourney was like Nationals where there is a main complex, with a centralized Umpire Station, and had a full-time TD and UIC on site then it would work as you stated. Reality though, most tourneys don't have that luxury.
They can hand it off, but the bats used in the game (and not for BP in between or before games) are not kept with the team, they're kept in the on-deck area. If a player gets into the batter's box with a bat not taken from his team's bucket, he's out. It's the responsibility of the next batter (or catcher going into the field, if the 3rd out is made) to put the bat that was just used back into his team's bucket.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
They can hand it off, but the bats used in the game (and not for BP in between or before games) are not kept with the team, they're kept in the on-deck area. If a player gets into the batter's box with a bat not taken from his team's bucket, he's out. It's the responsibility of the next batter (or catcher going into the field, if the 3rd out is made) to put the bat that was just used back into his team's bucket.

Yeah I know how it would work during a particular game.....I am talking about what happens in between games.

Also, what if we have a 3 hour break and I want to take some BP...or get dialed in with a particular bat?

Like I said, good concept, just a lot of holes. I do not know what the solution is other than to fix the real probelm....the retarded bats. Hi metal, I would love to say welcome back some day. ;)