Lending Bats...

Softball.com:

ntm1977

Addicted to Softballfans
I don't mind if someone breaks one of my bats swinging at a softball but throwing them I don't give a dang who you are now I will crack you upside the head with it, I can come up with receipts but it doesn't give you your og bat back

mikeforgette

Addicted to Softballfans
Maybe its with some people I play with but I just find it so disrespectful to just grab someone elses property and assume you can use it.

I play on two teams, one fairly competitive D team with all my friends, and one low-level rec team with a few friends. The D team, every player has their own bat and if they want to use someone else's, they will ask. The rec team, guys don't bring anything, and just grab peoples bats left and right, automatically assuming they can use whatever without asking anyones permission.

Just funny, my friends ask, and the people who are really just acquaintances have no problem just taking.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
I never loan my bats out and rarely let just anyone use them... ^^^^ i feel this brother cause it's sad that guys on rec teams just show up with a glove ( if that ) i deal with the same situation no problems with my comp team but the (scrub) team if one guy asks to use a bat i may let him but then have to put a stop to it when everyone else starts helping themselves to my bag.

Nacirema85

Addicted to Softballfans
Okay, so here is what kinda confuses me...

It doesn't appear that he took the bat and just beat rocks with it. It probably broke under normal stress. If you're lending a bat out, with the intent for them to use it to swing at a game, or BP... isn't that kinda expected? This is different than lending a bat out and a guy smashes it on the ground, or breaks it over a pole, or puts long cleat marks in it.

Edit: I just noticed you said it had about 5k hits on it. Well... that makes sense and probably the reason why it's cracked. A buddy of mine swung my Evo in a game, hit one out, but came back into the dugout with the bat in hand and said it cracked apparently. I looked it over. Sure enough. He apologized profusely, but realistically, I let him swing it. That's what bats do eventually. No harm, no foul.

Last edited:

ntm1977

Addicted to Softballfans
If someone uses it as intended no biggie but tossing hitting poles slamming it into the ground thats b.s.

Beauner

Starting Player
If I bring it, you can use it. I honestly don't mind a bit. But nobody borrows them. My bats come home with me.

Agreed. When I first started playing, with all of my teammates and I fresh out of college, I was one of the only guys on the team with a bat of my own. So I got used to sharing.
I basically asked that anybody who was going to be using it chip in 5-10 bucks so I could get a backup bat for me, but also give the team another option to use to try to limit wear and tear.

But if I'm playing on the team, I am more than willing to share bats. I've had one bat for 2+ years with between 3 and 5 teammates using the bat 3 nights a week + tournaments. I've never had an issue with people slamming my bats or throwing my bats. Seems like common decency--if you didn't pay for it, treat it with respect. Me on the other hand? I'll slam my OG DC-41 into the dirt if I miss a cookie.

will_reed

has been/never was
Several years ago, I played for a church that had two teams in a local league. The other team from the church didn't have a single bat or ball that wasn't from Walmart, so I loaned them a NIW bat and some TA's. I never saw either again.

Now no one swings my bats unless they're a trusted friend and I'm present.