Let's try a different discussion..........

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
I don't know if I agree with you on this one.......

Those "fewer choices" can make a big difference!
  • You have the option of selecting the CR leather shell. (BIG difference!!!)
  • Better felt padding on the Select.
  • More size choices.
  • Web selection.

I can't speak for others, but for me, these differences would mean a lot.

Right now, if I was looking at the Limited Series, I wouldn't be looking at the Custom. I'd be looking at the stock Limited's. With the sale going on right now, I would get a stock Limited 1251L for $59.99, a single post or H-web for $34.99 & replace the trapeze web myself. :thumb:

That's about as "custom" as I would go on a Glovesmith Limited Series glove right now.........

I am not sure if I am revealing a secret here, but Bart told me that since the Limited customs are made on the same line as the Selects and Elites, they use the same padding and lining leather. It IS true that the web choice is very limited, but the 13" web is either a H-web or a a single post (and you can get an H web on the 12.5" open back I beleive). And at one point I was asking for a forum member and Bart said he would do a CR leather shell if someone asked. I don't know why all this information isn't available on their web site, but Bart is very accommodating if you call and ask.

All that being said, at $60, the stock limiteds are on par with the $50 Spaldings in terms of value.

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
Another option I would consider is buy a glove for $5-20 (it's the fool not the tool) or borrow one from a teammate while I wait for the Ichiro model to ship across the Pacific.

SS_1AJGH12697_52_LL.jpg

davisrelacing

The Other Guy
Another option I would consider is buy a glove for $5-20 (it's the fool not the tool) or borrow one from a teammate while I wait for the Ichiro model to ship across the Pacific.

SS_1AJGH12697_52_LL.jpg

Is there a source for a replacement traditional Ichiro web for this color? The floating trap type, not the mod trap type?

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
Is there a source for a replacement traditional Ichiro web for this color? The floating trap type, not the mod trap type?

The color is 52 and they do have some gloves with the traditional Ichiro web. Getting just the web is going to be difficult unless you buy the whole glove and swap webs.

I have he same question. I am looking for a red or white replacement ichiro web for my GMP7C.
And you haven't tried liberty yet?

http://forums.softballfans.com/showthread.php?t=1411129

NYC

Swag on 100.
I may be wrong but Ive read on here that red gloves always turn pink, one of the reasons I didn't buy the bryce harper model glove even though it felt great. I like the look of the red gloves.

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
I always use more Lexol on red gloves and condition them more often to keep the leather from drying out, helps keep them from fading. I see alot of guys w glove so dry they start to look like suede leather, LOL

Laoch

Bearded. Drunk. Dominant.
I like my Gold Glove Elite 12.75" Trap. It's held up pretty well. The glove isn't stiff but it doesn't flop around. I'd go after another GG if I had to.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
I just went to Sports Authority to look at gloves while the wife was in Joanne's. HOLY S**T have gloves gone to crap! I couldn't believe how anything under a A2000 or HOH has gone to just utterly useless crap. They looked & felt like pleather toys, I can't imagine trying to game them for anything other than very low level rec ball, they actually seem dangerous if you were to catch a ball anywhere other than the pocket.

The other thing is they were 80-110 bucks, saw a couple that were 50-60, and none of these gloves should've been over 30 bucks. The best of the cheapies at 110 was a Rawlings with an "all leather shell" and a Nike with some Asian writing on it and a yellow stripe, have no idea if it was leather. None of them really seemed like leather gloves.

There was a couple cobby looking powder blue Mizuno's MVP Prime and Rawlings "Gamer" gloves that you could tell were leather by feel that were $150 which is flat out ridiculous, they felt like the $50-$80 gloves from 10yrs ago.

Guess the contrast just surprised me, 25yrs ago a cheap glove <$50 had tough serious leather on it with an actual leather liner, they were just trimmed with vinyl binding & wimpy internals compared to the top shelf gloves. 10yrs ago, cheap gloves $50-80 were still leather even though it was oil soaked cheap stuff with more vinyl found in more places and crappy liners but they were still serviceable.

MaverickAH

That's more of a Sports Authority issue than anything else! I haven't seen anything higher than an Easton Natural at any SA around here in years......

Fortunately, there are a few stores available to me that carry gloves that retail anywhere from $80 to $500. While I don't get to see everything, I do get to see what's generally available from the Big guys (Rawlings, Wilson, Mizuno, Louisville Slugger, Easton, Worth).

Let's be honest.......... Even the gloves you consider to be at an acceptable level have gone up significantly in the last 5 years. Anywhere from 25% & up.

Personally, I think that you're being overly critical on the MVP Prime but I don't know exactly what you looked at. It's a decent glove for the rec player who only plays once or twice a week & doesn't take the game too seriously. The same can be said for the GG Gamer. I have seen either of them selling anywhere near $150 but if you have........ :wtf2:

There are soooo many brands that offer good value below $200 but you'll never see in a store that it's a crying shame!

jkwoody22

League ball huer
Just another Sunday huh chrome, it is amazing what is available to the common person, dads go in, buy this cheap stuff, kids can't catch, get hurt, then quit the game, don't get me wrong, there is a market for it, but better selection would go along way with a decent price point, for all ages/levels

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
I just went to Sports Authority to look at gloves while the wife was in Joanne's. HOLY S**T have gloves gone to crap! I couldn't believe how anything under a A2000 or HOH has gone to just utterly useless crap. They looked & felt like pleather toys, I can't imagine trying to game them for anything other than very low level rec ball, they actually seem dangerous if you were to catch a ball anywhere other than the pocket.

Almost makes a $310 GS USA custom or a Rawlings $290 custom seem like good value!!!

There is a guy on my team that can hit the ball 350'. When no one is on base, he hits line drives. Last season I saw one travel 220'-230' before it one hopped to the left fielder. It never got more than 8' off the ground. Something like that hit at me, I don't want most $50 gloves being the only think between me and the ball.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
That's more of a Sports Authority issue than anything else! I haven't seen anything higher than an Easton Natural at any SA around here in years......

Fortunately, there are a few stores available to me that carry gloves that retail anywhere from $80 to $500. While I don't get to see everything, I do get to see what's generally available from the Big guys (Rawlings, Wilson, Mizuno, Louisville Slugger, Easton, Worth).

Let's be honest.......... Even the gloves you consider to be at an acceptable level have gone up significantly in the last 5 years. Anywhere from 25% & up.

Personally, I think that you're being overly critical on the MVP Prime but I don't know exactly what you looked at. It's a decent glove for the rec player who only plays once or twice a week & doesn't take the game too seriously. The same can be said for the GG Gamer. I have seen either of them selling anywhere near $150 but if you have........ :wtf2:

There are soooo many brands that offer good value below $200 but you'll never see in a store that it's a crying shame!

They were selling the Ultimate Weapon for 140 and metal Worth for $80 so their prices are ridiculous but there's not too many options around here do that's where most people will go. They had spots for 3 HOH gloves, only 1 actually there, all were full 249.99 retail, no A2000. The 2 Mizuno MVP's were powder blue with orange lace & I immediately put them back when I noticed an extra piece of leather over the heal of the glove, like a hood to cover the heel laces, cut edge of the leather just hanging out there.

Just another Sunday huh chrome, it is amazing what is available to the common person, dads go in, buy this cheap stuff, kids can't catch, get hurt, then quit the game, don't get me wrong, there is a market for it, but better selection would go along way with a decent price point, for all ages/levels

That's what I'm talking about, they easily had >200 gloves there, 195 of them were pleather toys with neon or some gimmick, 4 $150 mediocre gloves, and 1 HOH. Can't believe there isn't at least some decent mediocre options.

Visited the parents yesterday, mom busts out the photo albums to show my little clone pics of when I was young. The Wilson glove I had for little league looked badass, beautiful orange tan with clean split welting between each finger stall and I know it had to be a cheap cheapie back then. I don't remember much about that glove but I do remember my Dale Murphy Rawlings. Had a small one, then a big one, both a pain in the ass to break in but tough as hell and the thought never crossed my mind that a ball might have a chance at bending the glove over backwards.

I felt like Ron Burgundy in that store, time just passed me by.

Almost makes a $310 GS USA custom or a Rawlings $290 custom seem like good value!!!

There is a guy on my team that can hit the ball 350'. When no one is on base, he hits line drives. Last season I saw one travel 220'-230' before it one hopped to the left fielder. It never got more than 8' off the ground. Something like that hit at me, I don't want most $50 gloves being the only think between me and the ball.

Exactly, I used to think much over $200 was kinda silly for a glove but those customs aren't bad at all compared to the bricks and mortar around here. $250 for the one stock HOH they had there, absolutely ridiculous. I think $300 is my new $200 limit.

I'm a lowly E/Rec ball player but I hit about like you're buddy, there's a lot of guys around that hit every bit as hard as I do, and there's guys that hit harder. I couldn't imagine having to use some of those plastic gloves out there against the hot shots. I've had a couple guys comment on being afraid trying to field my hits, now I'm wondering if it was more their glove than my hitting. I have a $80 14" Rawlings GG from >5yrs ago that I didn't feel was safe and it's still better than what's out there now. Went back to my smaller quality gloves and never worried about it again.

It makes more sense to me now how the myriad of different Mexican customs have taken off around this area in recent years. They are a hell of a lot more solid option for the price than this box store stuff. Use to be able to buy high end gloves locally 20yr ago, my USA HOH's and Japan A2000's were all local purchases.

Is 37 too young to be old & crotchety or do I meet the age requirement?

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe

The other thing is they were 80-110 bucks, saw a couple that were 50-60, and none of these gloves should've been over 30 bucks. The best of the cheapies at 110 was a Rawlings with an "all leather shell" and a Nike with some Asian writing on it and a yellow stripe, have no idea if it was leather. None of them really seemed like leather gloves.

There was a couple cobby looking powder blue Mizuno's MVP Prime and Rawlings "Gamer" gloves that you could tell were leather by feel that were $150 which is flat out ridiculous, they felt like the $50-$80 gloves from 10yrs ago.

Guess the contrast just surprised me, 25yrs ago a cheap glove <$50 had tough serious leather on it with an actual leather liner, they were just trimmed with vinyl binding & wimpy internals compared to the top shelf gloves. 10yrs ago, cheap gloves $50-80 were still leather even though it was oil soaked cheap stuff with more vinyl found in more places and crappy liners but they were still serviceable.

Guys this is what I been saying for a real long time. The local chains in So Cal have crap, the closest place to any decent gloves and good proces is Cheap Bats and HomRunApes.
As for pricing, I saw the same thing at SA and a local retailer, Big5. Overpriced junk shoved in the dorner. No one in the chains know crap and dont ask them about a softball glove, your lucky if the know what fastpitch is much less slow pitch.
Rous, I am with you, young shaved bats mutants hit the crap out the ball and I wear my absolute best (Vinci Limited or Optimus in my case) when I get to play even rec co ed. In Senior single wall my Vinic Fortus will do the job, but I usually use a PC steer hide I am breaking in. Its scares me seeing the rec players using crappy gloves, even some of the seniors need to up grade, if no other reason than safley. I always say, look at inflation, price of a loaf of bread, gallon of milk/gas, 40 oz beer, LOL.
I been working local fields and most rec players may have a passing interest but any bat will catch there eye.

jkwoody22

League ball huer
The bat will always win out over the glove, instant gratification with a bat, with a glove it could be too late, so for most, no sense of urgency

MaverickAH

They were selling the Ultimate Weapon for 140 and metal Worth for $80 so their prices are ridiculous but there's not too many options around here do that's where most people will go. They had spots for 3 HOH gloves, only 1 actually there, all were full 249.99 retail, no A2000. The 2 Mizuno MVP's were powder blue with orange lace & I immediately put them back when I noticed an extra piece of leather over the heal of the glove, like a hood to cover the heel laces, cut edge of the leather just hanging out there.

That's the current reality for brick & mortar operations. The inherent costs of operating such a business (employee's, utilities, rent, insurance, etc.......) dictate the price premiums on low traffic items (baseball/softball items fall into this category). The only items that you usually see discounted are high traffic items such as clothes or sneakers. Stuff that gets customers into the store......

That's what I'm talking about, they easily had >200 gloves there, 195 of them were pleather toys with neon or some gimmick, 4 $150 mediocre gloves, and 1 HOH. Can't believe there isn't at least some decent mediocre options.

Visited the parents yesterday, mom busts out the photo albums to show my little clone pics of when I was young. The Wilson glove I had for little league looked badass, beautiful orange tan with clean split welting between each finger stall and I know it had to be a cheap cheapie back then. I don't remember much about that glove but I do remember my Dale Murphy Rawlings. Had a small one, then a big one, both a pain in the ass to break in but tough as hell and the thought never crossed my mind that a ball might have a chance at bending the glove over backwards.

I felt like Ron Burgundy in that store, time just passed me by.

Different time, different era, different mentality............ :(

I don't know how old you are but I can tell you that from my own perspective, a lot of things have changed & not all of the change has been for the better, IMHO. When I was of LL age, all serious gloves were made in the USA. Anything "plastic" was considered a toy for toddlers & made in Japan or China. All bats were made of wood. No tape on bat handles. No one wore batting gloves (callouses were a rite of summer). No one complained about their child being on the bench. You either practiced & got better or you stayed there! Nobody played down.........

My first A2000? Well, I was HS age & I worked & paid for it myself!
I had the 1st color TV in our house. Same story there as well!

Exactly, I used to think much over $200 was kinda silly for a glove but those customs aren't bad at all compared to the bricks and mortar around here. $250 for the one stock HOH they had there, absolutely ridiculous. I think $300 is my new $200 limit.

And herein lies the problem..........

Do you, as a consumer, accept it & continue to give your business to companies who are giving you a lesser product while continuing to increase the price or do you look for alternatives? I say, "Look for alternatives!" They're out there....... You have Glovesmith, for one, but there're many, many more (Kelley, Nokona, Vinci, Akadema, etc.......). Personally, I would rather search for an alternative & send a message to the big guys. It's the only thing they'll understand. Doing it your way by adjusting your pricing perspective plays in to what they want. Now's not the time to be myopic.

I'm a lowly E/Rec ball player but I hit about like you're buddy, there's a lot of guys around that hit every bit as hard as I do, and there's guys that hit harder. I couldn't imagine having to use some of those plastic gloves out there against the hot shots. I've had a couple guys comment on being afraid trying to field my hits, now I'm wondering if it was more their glove than my hitting. I have a $80 14" Rawlings GG from >5yrs ago that I didn't feel was safe and it's still better than what's out there now. Went back to my smaller quality gloves and never worried about it again.

It makes more sense to me now how the myriad of different Mexican customs have taken off around this area in recent years. They are a hell of a lot more solid option for the price than this box store stuff. Use to be able to buy high end gloves locally 20yr ago, my USA HOH's and Japan A2000's were all local purchases.

Is 37 too young to be old & crotchety or do I meet the age requirement?

There is little doubt that the current trend of the average rec player searching out higher quality gloves is related to the advent of "plastic" bats. Is it just coincidence that as composite bats became the norm, midrange gloves were dumbed down & the high-end glove market pushed upwards price-wise? First Worth tenuously entered the high-end softball glove market followed by LS & now Wilson. I wouldn't be surprised to see both Mizuno & Rawlings do something at some point.

Mexican gloves, especially in your area of the country, are nothing new. It's just that with the increase of OEM manufacturing almost anyone can now have a startup glove company.

Your being crotchety is not a function of age. It's more due to the inability of being able to walk into a store & handle a glove that you're interested in. It can be frustrating playing the guessing game on the internet.

I remember my first internet glove purchase in the late 90's. It was 2 Nokona's. An AMG600 & a BM76. Even then it was only after handling an AMG600 in a store first & I still wound up not keeping either one. Nowadays buying a glove is a bit like playing the stock market. You gather as much info as you can & take your chances..........

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
The local mom and pop shop I've frequented over the years blows these corporate stores out of the water. I can't say anything bad about it when you can walk out with an A2000/A2K/HOH/PP for $50-100 off the MSRP. And they often carry Rawlings Team Dealer and Spring Training models.

MaverickAH

The local mom and pop shop I've frequented over the years blows these corporate stores out of the water. I can't say anything bad about it when you can walk out with an A2000/A2K/HOH/PP for $50-100 off the MSRP. And they often carry Rawlings Team Dealer and Spring Training models.

Your local mom & pop probably doesn't have a website. They have to keep high ticket/low traffic items in-store. Big chains all have websites for those types of items now. No need to occupy precious floor space.

Sounds like this has gone the way of every other glove discussion

True, but at least the conversation is somewhat relevant.

Let's see if I can't get it back on track.............

Other reasonable priced gloves that I've been impressed with:
LS HD9: Very good leather that needs some time to break in. Not crazy about the mesh back though. Still, a good glove for the $$$.

Easton Mako Pro: I haven't handled this glove yet (hope to soon) but all indications suggest that it offers good value.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
Wasn't looking to derail the thread, just happened to be next to SA & thought it would be fun to sift through the cheapies/midrange stuff to find the best useable value gloves. Just disappointed when I didn't find anything even safe to hide behind.

My new solution for a cheap temporary glove would be PIAS for an older used glove to get me by until my new leather arrived. For the record I hate used gloves, it's like marrying a used up hooker, she can get the job done but doesn't know how to act right.

davisrelacing

The Other Guy
I handled the new youth Mako at around $75 and was not impressed. Very lightweight and flimsy. I don't know how the adult models (at $249+) would stack up.

a28-626.jpg

MaverickAH

I handled the new youth Mako at around $75 and was not impressed. Very lightweight and flimsy. I don't know how the adult models (at $249+) would stack up.

Oh come on........... :rolleyes:

Do you really think that you can make the translation from a $60 glove made for kids to a $249 glove made for adults? Please don't tell me that you even remotely think that the construction/materials used are the same. Two totally separate gloves using vastly different levels of materials with the same MAKO name.

Reckless of you to even post...........

Captain10

E skills playing D Ball
Oh come on........... :rolleyes:

Do you really think that you can make the translation from a $60 glove made for kids to a $249 glove made for adults? Please don't tell me that you even remotely think that the construction/materials used are the same. Two totally separate gloves using vastly different levels of materials with the same MAKO name.

Reckless of you to even post...........

Do you know this as fact?

If you buy Nike shoes (shox/air max/fingertrap/etc.) for your infant child, and the same model for yourself, wouldnt you think they use the same materials, just more of said materials to make larger, adult size shoes? My nikes are going to cost alot more than my sons nikes but since Im buying nike, I would expect them to be made of the same high quality material.

MaverickAH

Do you know this as fact?

If you buy Nike shoes (shox/air max/fingertrap/etc.) for your infant child, and the same model for yourself, wouldnt you think they use the same materials, just more of said materials to make larger, adult size shoes? My nikes are going to cost alot more than my sons nikes but since Im buying nike, I would expect them to be made of the same high quality material.

Yes, I do know this as fact.

A simple search will tell you the materials used in their Mako Youth model & their higher end Mako models. Completely different...........

We're not talking shoes, we're talking gloves........