ASA line up question ....

dshoaf9

Addicted to Softballfans
playing asa coed question about lineup card , had ten to start game early game and the other two where in parking light , handed the ump card w ten before first pitch was thrown can you not add the 11 girl and 12 guy , i know some as long as the first pitch is not thrown , is it best to list all 12 but then if they dont show , its a out or a forfeit ??

The lineups are official when "1. Line-up cards are to be completed and submitted to the official scorer
and umpire at the start of each game. A starting player shall be official
when the line-up is inspected and approved by the plate umpire and
team manager at the pre-game meeting."

It doesn't have anything to do with the first pitch.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
Lineups are official as soon as the umpire accepts them from you (and you confirm that it's accurate). Don't put people on the lineup that aren't actually there and ready to go in. You can't play short 2, so if you "start" with 12, you can only go down to 11, not 10.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
The lineups are official when "1. Line-up cards are to be completed and submitted to the official scorer
and umpire at the start of each game. A starting player shall be official
when the line-up is inspected and approved by the plate umpire and
team manager at the pre-game meeting."

It doesn't have anything to do with the first pitch.

^^^^
This.

Lineups are official as soon as the umpire accepts them from you (and you confirm that it's accurate). Don't put people on the lineup that aren't actually there and ready to go in. You can't play short 2, so if you "start" with 12, you can only go down to 11, not 10.

^^^^
And definitely this.

All players listed on the line-up card must be present and accounted for either in the field or in the dugout, not the parking lot. I've heard the ol' "he's in the parking lot, Blue!" stories too many times, along with the "he's just 5 minutes away."

If he's not here, then he's not here.

Gulf Coast Blue

Addicted to Softballfans
One other thing.

Lets say you started the game one short.....when the player of the correct gender arrives, that player must be inserted into the line-up in the vacant spot.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
And don't forget the usual disclaimer...local leagues can modify these rules as they see fit. Quite often, a local league will be more lax in enforcing line-up issues. They often have their own special rules about who you can add once the game begins. Leagues that strictly follow by-the-book ASA rules are probably the exception more than the rule.

joncon

Addicted to Softballfans
is it best to list all 12 but then if they dont show , its a out or a forfeit ??

It's best to find another league/tournament/city/state/hobby if this is an issue.

For me, that kind of **** would suck every bit of fun from the sport.

How about it?

I thought "maybe incorrectly" we had situation "thread" where the coach listed the DP in the line-up, lead off I believe and that player wasn't there yet. Then, if memory serve me right the Flex came into bat for DP who was not there yet?

That being said I know nothing about fast-pitch the DP/Flex or how any of it works.

:D

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
I thought "maybe incorrectly" we had situation "thread" where the coach listed the DP in the line-up, lead off I believe and that player wasn't there yet. Then, if memory serve me right the Flex came into bat for DP who was not there yet?

That being said I know nothing about fast-pitch the DP/Flex or how any of it works.

:D

If the name is on the line up card, there has to be a body to go with it. Don't care what type of story or promise the coach has, no body, the name comes off the card.

Gulf Coast Blue

Addicted to Softballfans
And don't forget the usual disclaimer...local leagues can modify these rules as they see fit. Quite often, a local league will be more lax in enforcing line-up issues. They often have their own special rules about who you can add once the game begins. Leagues that strictly follow by-the-book ASA rules are probably the exception more than the rule.

That is why I kept a laminated card in my line-up card holder.....all different rules for different cities.

Every league in my district had different rules for certain situations......two districts.....about 15 leagues.....no wonder we make mistakes every now and then and get called idiots.

I once went 115 games in a row without so much as a ripple......do you think that mattered when the 116th game happened.....:rolleyes:

I have only umpired about 225 SP games......probably about 200 more than I wished I had done.....I would not do it for a living.

Joel

beernbombs

Abby's dad
List only those actually there. No reason to take any chances and it's the players fault for not being there on time. You can add players as available substitutes at any time during the game when they arrive. Assuming they are on your roster.