Other Little League Umpiring

Hope it's ok for me to put this in this thread. I live in Colorado Springs and I am looking for somewhere to umpire, preferably 16 and younger. Most of what I have found is volunteer. I would love to do it as a volunteer but in need of money with the wife not having a job. So if I am going to umpire, I would like to make a little money. Back home in NC we made between $100 and $120 for two games depending on the age group. I don't expect to make that much anywhere else. If you have any info please let me know.

thesteve

Addicted to Softballfans
Hope it's ok for me to put this in this thread. I live in Colorado Springs and I am looking for somewhere to umpire, preferably 16 and younger. Most of what I have found is volunteer. I would love to do it as a volunteer but in need of money with the wife not having a job. So if I am going to umpire, I would like to make a little money. Back home in NC we made between $100 and $120 for two games depending on the age group. I don't expect to make that much anywhere else. If you have any info please let me know.
Have you checked out AAU/traveling teams? From what I remember, Little League umps are mostly (if not entirely) volunteer, at least at the league level. I think the traveling teams might be a bit more serious about their umpiring.

BigBL87

29 oz, you say?

Prepare for pedophile jokes, IJS. ;)

Anyway, I agree with thesteve. Most city/local leagues are volunteer umpires, although not all.

BigBL87

29 oz, you say?
At least he's not looking for girl's softball leagues 16 and under...or would that be better? :rolleyes:

Haha, might be! The fact that it's in the Ask the Umpire section might save him from what he might have gotten on the OSPB or Lounge.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Have you considered calling high school?

Otherwise, I'd call your local chapter and see if they're looking for anyone to call games.

Gulf Coast Blue

Addicted to Softballfans

From Colorado Springs through Broomfield up to Fort Colling Co. have some of the largest and best attended youth softball tournaments in the country (usually around the July 4th holiday).....the biggest being the Firecracker. It is so big registration is a year in advance. They bring in umpires from around the country. I have been as a coach and been invited as an umpire but never was able to umpire there.

As others have noted.....LL umpiring is in many places volunteer only.....I don't think that LL is very strong in softball in that part of Colorado......ASA is the main youth organization.

You won't be making $50-$60 bucks per game.....probably around $15-$20.

Here is the information for the ASA State UIC......he should be able to put you in touch with the staff in your district.

Dan Gooding
Umpire in Chief
[email protected]
720-318-7853 cell
303-986-5143

Good luck.

Joel

Last edited:
I figured when I posted this that there would be some jokes haha.

The problem with high school is that you have to get three books and pay for the test. That is $77 I don't have right now. Plus the test for the rule book is tomorrow. I'm sure I could pass it but I'm in the middle of fighting the flu. Good news is that the wifey might have found a job.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I figured when I posted this that there would be some jokes haha.

The problem with high school is that you have to get three books and pay for the test. That is $77 I don't have right now. Plus the test for the rule book is tomorrow. I'm sure I could pass it but I'm in the middle of fighting the flu. Good news is that the wifey might have found a job.

Congrats to the wifey. I've been unemployed before, and it's nerve-wracking. Hope it works out!

If NFHS isn't an option, contact your local Little League chapter and see if they can put you in touch with whomever handles the booking.

mrcub8

maybe next year!-Cub fans
I cut back on my SP umping and focus more on FP HS level spring/summer and BB HS/amatuer.......all these pay between $60-90/game.........and FP is nice as they usually have a 70 min time limit in summer.......

I'm a former BB pitcher so I have a very pitcher friendly zone.........nothing to crazy but very consistent and we all know that is the key........

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
If not actual "Little League" baseball (the corporate entity and trademarked brand name) then there is probably plenty of "youth baseball" in your area. PONY, USSSA, Babe Ruth and Cal Ripken leagues are all over the country- none of which have any affiliation with "Little League Baseball, Incorporated".

There may even be "independent", community-based leagues in your area that run their own umpire programs- and you might not even need to have any sort of certification to umpire those, especially for the younger age groups.

Use your phone book, the internet, Google, whatever to search out as many youth sports associations, leagues or teams in your area. Usually they are dying to find people to umpire games. Also search out and contact any umpire associations around you- they are should be able to provide you with contact information for leagues needing umpires, and possibly even assign games for you.

If you really want to umpire, now is the time to start looking into it. Be proactive. The key is to contact as many people as you can, get your name out there and get as much information as you can now, before the season gets into full swing in a couple of months.

mrcub8

maybe next year!-Cub fans
I actually also umpire thru 4 different associations............I'm certified thru NFHS for BB and FP and also Gopher State here in MN.........the 2 combined get me more $ per game for additional certs......

plus the NFHS tests are great and way better than the "optional" test in slowpitch.........plus test is scored instantaniously online