Local league question..

vcj104

Addicted to Softballfans
I run a local utrip league here and in the past we have had a major problem power teams loaded with tournament players some being upper level players. We do not have enough upper teams to separate the two. The league teams numbers are down. Just like to hear some ideas or maybe hear somethings that some leagues have done to control this problem. Ive thought bout run spots and of course limiting upper level players on a team. Any thoughts would be appreciated. ..

Dogue

Evil Genius
How many teams total and how many are "upper"?

BTW, this is typical of most leagues I would bet.

vcj104

Addicted to Softballfans
In fact all the league's around here like this and have been for years. ....thats why im trying to fix it. Started end of last year.

Last edited:

stillballin

The Veteran
put the top teams in their own division (league 1) even if there is only one or two top teams... league 2 should be the next level of teams and so forth on down... let league 1 teams play down to league 2 to give a variety in schedule and limit to hr rule of lower league has set... W-L standings would be up to you if you count all games or only count games played in your league...it works here and besides it just league...

trippy1313

Starting Player
How many teams total do you have anyways?

Our league kind of has upper and lower within each division, and for most part we play in our upper or lower with a couple interdivision games. Then depending on standings, playoffs will bring the lower over both together and upper of both together.

This is the same everywhere. Good players want to play with peers and they will normally play together. Bad teams don't like losing, so any time a bad team loses they are going to complain and/or quit playing. Most good players were once bad players and took their lumps on their way to getting better. These days no one wants to. You'll never be able to create enough "divisions" to keep everyone happy. You could just adjust the schedule to have the better teams play each other more, but it's not going to cure things. Someone has to lose the game.
In the last 10 years, participation numbers are down almost 50%. It's a dying game. A couple of teams of good players isn't the reason.

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
are you sure thats the reason the league numbers are down? Don't change something on a hunch. that is pretty typical of almost every league i've ever played in.

if it is, i would divy up the teams into divisions and then that will allow you to enforce certain rules on certain teams mostly revolving around home runs. you can still play a same schedule but if you are in div a, you only get 1 hr as opposed to 4 where the other team is allowed their 4.

The other thing to do is have a conversation with the coaches of the far and away better teams. tell them to take it easy. elite tourney teams around here are pretty chill during league nights. they get their hacks and aren't trying to run up a score. they spent the gas money too, there is no fun for them getting 2 AB's, waiting 40 minutes then gettng 2 more AB's and going home.