Looking for a new glove and what brand fits my options??

Tictac020

Addicted to BP
Ok, I like a glove to be 13"...have a Velcro strap, and I have like size medium to alittle bigger then medium....just on the shorter side of hands....fingers are relatively thin(no sausage fingers) and I don't care about the web pattern really! I play left field and Centerfield.....I have been playing with a 14" worth glove and it's kinda cheap and floppy and if I don't 2 hand some hard hit liners, the ball has popped out before(rarely, but it happens enough to tick me off).....wondering about the vinci's, nokona, spyder's.....any other brand that's nice? Rawlings and Wilson don't normally have Velcro straps, and they cost a lot more to customize them just for a strap? Consider it weird, but I just like my glove to be real tight on my wrist...thanks for any help and guidance! Always buy bats and stuff, figured it's time to get serious about buying a nice glove this year!

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Absolutely look at the Nokona L-V1300. Both the L-1300 and L-V1300 are made of the sandstone leather (which I like a lot). The L-1300 is their 12.75" baseball pattern now sold at a 13" softball pattern (they measured big for 12.75"). The L-V1300 is based on the 13" fastpitch pattern so has Velcro and a smaller hand stall. If you like to wear a glove TIP (two in pinkie), the L-1300 with the button lap tightened is the better glove, but for traditional grip, the L-V1300 is the way to go.

L-1300 (open back)
_DoIL3c_g97A_O2PMFPRKiqwFfLq4vV9NZ4_iQpZ6iE__32240.1446830593.1280.1280.jpg

L-V1300 (closed, Velcro back -- this may be a pic of the 12" version, but they look similar)
7Lo5mMbrDkpgyUlRNzXLnL1FU2zK2xZhqLoDs5IZ1ak__58750.1446841019.1280.1280.jpg

Tictac020

Addicted to BP
Button lap tightened??? What's this? Sorry for the noob question! But yes, I do put two in pinkie.....

hawkins3

Land of the Midnight Sun
Rous- not to hijack but I like that H web a lot. Do they have one in a smaller 12.25 version? Also have you handled these? I don't have any experience with Nokona

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Button lap is the wrist strap. Got its name when the strap was attached with a button. The L-1300, as I recall, has a pretty large hand stall. As hand stalls are on the outside of the pocket, any glove with a big pocket is going to have a larger hand stall. Tightening the wrist can help a lot, but it won't have snug finger stalls. I had Bart at Glovesmith make me a 1300USA with a smaller hand stall (and a larger pinkie slot for TIP. It still is not as snug as my PRO302-CVDM. Mizuno might still make a high quality 13" fast pitch glove (I think it is a GGE).

Looks like the only H webs are the 11.75", the 13" and the first base mitt. Their 12.25" is a basket web and closed back. I really like the sandstone leather and I have heard good things about the Generation leather too.

My Glovesmith (mine is the closed back, but they make an open back 13" glove too).

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Three other things. Especially when gloves get larger, gloves sizes can vary a lot. My 13" Glovesmith measures 13", but the 13" Vinci BMB I had was 12.5". I doubt your 14" Worth actually measures 14". Only once have I relaced a 14" glove that measured 14". Most are closer to 13".

Second, Glovesmith does make a Velcro back version of my glove. That, with asking Bart to thin out the finger stalls and have it modified for TIP, might be a nice option.

Third, I relaced a Nokona 13" with the Velcro for an A player with smaller hands. He had broken it in TIP and it worked, but I am sure it took him a while to get it broken in like that. The issue is that the Velcro strap tightens up on the pinkie side, shifting your hand towards the thumb.

Gators21

Manager
Rous- not to hijack but I like that H web a lot. Do they have one in a smaller 12.25 version? Also have you handled these? I don't have any experience with Nokona

I just returned the 13" because it's way too wide for baseball OF, and am waiting for the 12.75" Mod Trap version to arrive. The leather is fantastic.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
I have never had them side by side, but my sense is that the Nokona 13" and the Wilson 1799 are pretty similar patterns... but maybe the Nokona is even bigger. It went from being marketed as a 12.75" baseball glove to a 13" softball glove (with basket web), to a 13" baseball glove with the H-web.

Tictac020

Addicted to BP
Absolutely look at the Nokona L-V1300. Both the L-1300 and L-V1300 are made of the sandstone leather (which I like a lot). The L-1300 is their 12.75" baseball pattern now sold at a 13" softball pattern (they measured big for 12.75"). The L-V1300 is based on the 13" fastpitch pattern so has Velcro and a smaller hand stall. If you like to wear a glove TIP (two in pinkie), the L-1300 with the button lap tightened is the better glove, but for traditional grip, the L-V1300 is the way to go.

Man, you are right! That sandstone leather is nice and clean looking!! Its a cool look to it! I don't like the crazy colored gloves!! Thanks for the input man!

MaverickAH

Ok, I like a glove to be 13"...have a Velcro strap, and I have like size medium to alittle bigger then medium....just on the shorter side of hands....fingers are relatively thin(no sausage fingers) and I don't care about the web pattern really! I play left field and Centerfield.....I have been playing with a 14" worth glove and it's kinda cheap and floppy and if I don't 2 hand some hard hit liners, the ball has popped out before(rarely, but it happens enough to tick me off).....wondering about the vinci's, nokona, spyder's.....any other brand that's nice? Rawlings and Wilson don't normally have Velcro straps, and they cost a lot more to customize them just for a strap? Consider it weird, but I just like my glove to be real tight on my wrist...thanks for any help and guidance! Always buy bats and stuff, figured it's time to get serious about buying a nice glove this year!

One thing you don't mention is price point. How much are you looking to spend?

These are gloves that, based on what you're looking for, I'd put on my short list:

Vinci RCV1300-22 (13") [$159]
A very good, solid glove made from 5 oz. steer hide leather. It is true to size & will require a week or two of break-in. It will remain relatively stiff if broken in & maintained properly.

Wilson A2000 FP1799 SS (12.75") [$249.95]
A2000 leather w/Wilson's SuperSkin. Being that it's the 1799 pattern, it'll probably play bigger than spec & closer to 13".

Those along with Nokona, which Rous already mentioned, would be first options. Below them, I would look at:
Mizuno MVP Prime Fastpitch
Wilson Onyx
Worth Liberty Fastpitch
Mizuno Global Elite Fastpitch
Mizuno Global Elite VOP Fastpitch

Tictac020

Addicted to BP
One thing you don't mention is price point. How much are you looking to spend?

These are gloves that, based on what you're looking for, I'd put on my short list:

Vinci RCV1300-22 (13") [$159]
A very good, solid glove made from 5 oz. steer hide leather. It is true to size & will require a week or two of break-in. It will remain relatively stiff if broken in & maintained properly.

Wilson A2000 FP1799 SS (12.75") [$249.95]
A2000 leather w/Wilson's SuperSkin. Being that it's the 1799 pattern, it'll probably play bigger than spec & closer to 13".

Those along with Nokona, which Rous already mentioned, would be first options. Below them, I would look at:
Mizuno MVP Prime Fastpitch
Wilson Onyx
Worth Liberty Fastpitch
Mizuno Global Elite Fastpitch
Mizuno Global Elite VOP Fastpitch[/QUOTE

Thanks man! I am looking to spend about $250 or so and less....so those both meet the criteria! Thanks again!!

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
With your budget I'd go for the Nokona Rous mentioned, the FP 1799 if you don't mind buttugly superskin, or a custom 13.25 Vinci, it will measure 13" & is a great great pattern for softball.