Any Looking for input

umpodie

Addicted to Softballfans
This past spring season (for ASA and Little League) we saw the number of ejections higher than we have seen for the past few years and now we are trying to come up with a plan to help newer umpires with game management.

We realize that sometimes a manager/coach just has to go, but there are also many times when proper game management could/might have prevented the ejection.

So we are looking for some input as to what we, or you, should include when covering this topic for new umpires.

We are at ground zero so far, just trying put something together that might be a useful tool for these umpires to use. I understand that experience is a great thing, but they haven't gotten there yet.

Does anyone have, or want to volunteer, any information on what they may use to help new umpires with game management?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you.

-odie

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Well, you said it yourself, there are times when a guy's just gotta go. And it seems like there are some areas of the country in which it's just the norm to be a total alpha male douchebag out on the field. And yeah, I'm talking about areas like NY, NJ, MA, and so on (mind you, I'm not actually from NC, I'm actually a Northerner myself). I see more problems come out of those areas than anywhere else, and it's no wonder our umpire population is both dwindling and aging.

I'm sure most of us have seen the "umpire strikes back" video. I don't want to single out those umpires, but there's no way in hell I'd put up with half the mess that I saw in that video. Sometimes, yeah, you've got to dump about half the team and forfeit their game if they aren't willing to get their guys under control. Do I want to? No, of course not. I'm there to call a game. But I'm not there to suffer someone's abuse because they're angry at life and want to take it out on an umpire.

That being said, there are a few things I'll bring up that will hopefully help someone.
  1. There's an old expression that I've heard a lot - "Don't manage the players, manage the game." When someone's behavior is taking away from the game, then deal with it. Otherwise, just back off.
  2. Another old expression - "Don't look for trouble. It will find you soon enough." Trust me, this one gets a lot of umpires in trouble. You don't want to develop "rabbit ears." If you can hear it from a good distance (say, from the outfield), then that's one thing. But if you can barely hear it from the dugout, consider letting it go.
  3. Work through the coaches/managers. If a guy is getting close to the line, tell the manager that he's responsible for his player's behavior, and that #17 has got to calm down. I'll sometimes pull out my line-up card holder and pretend to be going over some line-up question, but I'm really having a conversation with a coach about his player's behavior. And if the coach isn't getting the hint, I've already got the line-up card holder out to point out to him he has no subs left, so he might want to get a handle on his guy.
  4. While an umpire does have to have a good "outside voice," there are times when you want to bring it back down a notch. Sometimes, it's up to us to lower the intensity of the game by staying cool, calm, and collected out there.
  5. When a coach comes out to talk, our body language tells a coach a LOT about how the conversation is going to go. If you've got your chest puffed up and your arms crossed, how is that going to be received? They'll see it as "I'm not going to listen to this guy." If you look relaxed, meet the coach halfway (unless he's being an ass - then he's going to walk the whole length to come talk to me), and keep your arms down at your sides or in front of your belly, they're less likely to see you as adversarial. Also, when a coach comes up to you, both of you should face the same direction. Don't square off to him, because that just sets you up for an argument. Face in the same relative direction, shoulder-to-shoulder, and talk about the play.
  6. Which brings me to my next issue - talk about the play, and ONLY about the play. If we're in the fifth, I don't care about the play from the third inning. Let's talk about what we just saw. What did you see, coach? What question do you have for me about what we just saw? Anything else, including comments about the umpire, should be left alone.
Game management is the hardest thing out on the field to learn. What works for some may not work for all. I'm sure every group has that one umpire who seems to be able to look a coach in the face, smile, and say, "sir, you're an idiot" without the coach getting remotely mad. Just as every group has that one umpire who seems to toss out a guy every week. You've got to find what works for you, experiment a little, and constantly tweak your formula until you get YOUR game right.

Good luck out there.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
This past spring season (for ASA and Little League) we saw the number of ejections higher than we have seen for the past few years and now we are trying to come up with a plan to help newer umpires with game management.

We realize that sometimes a manager/coach just has to go, but there are also many times when proper game management could/might have prevented the ejection.

So we are looking for some input as to what we, or you, should include when covering this topic for new umpires.

We are at ground zero so far, just trying put something together that might be a useful tool for these umpires to use. I understand that experience is a great thing, but they haven't gotten there yet.

Does anyone have, or want to volunteer, any information on what they may use to help new umpires with game management?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you.

-odie

Tell your umpires to NOT talk. If they are talking, they are not listening.

The managers job is to represent their players/team. You never know, they may have a point, but you will not realize that if you are not listening. They need to let the managers do their job.

When the manager is finished, and assuming he doesn't have a valid point questioning the ruling, in a calm voice give him/her the ruling and tell him you are moving on with the game. If the manager/player wants to continue the conversation, reiterate the conversation is over and move back to his/her position. If the manager/player doesn't return to the dugout, coach's box or position, send him/her to the parking lot unless they use the word "protest". That being the case, the umpire needs to once again, NOT talk, but follow whatever procedue the league/tournament has in place. Whatever, the umpire should never argue or scream.

But there is no doubt the one thing that should be noted is that it is NOT the umpire's job to keep people in the game and on the field. Too many of these alleged coaches believe arguing and putting on a show is part of the game. IT IS NOT and the moment the umpire takes part in that show is the minute the umpire has lost control of the game.

LIKEUCM

Great advice from NC and Irish! Best definition I ever heard of game management is: "Having the ability to keep your head when all those around you are losing their heads and blaming you!" Having a solid base of knowledge of the rules always helps too, as you will have confidence in discussions and tend not to argue to make your point. Start sentences with "in my judgement" and "by rule" to keep things on point. Listening is the key! Try to understand and appreciate the point of view being expressed. When emotions are high, slow down and keep your voice calm and professional. You will know when a player or manager has crossed the line and needs to go, but don't bait them with phrases such as "one more word, and you are gone". A good umpire can be in charge of a game without being a jerk. Lead by example, keep a good attitude and show them that you enjoy being on the field.

umpodie

Addicted to Softballfans
Good stuff! I am trying to cut and paste most of these comments into our training slides now.
Anyone else have anything to add?
I have all winter to tighten this up, but want to send an outline to our district UIC by the end of the month.

Thank you NCASA, Irish and Likeucm for your input.

--odie

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Good stuff! I am trying to cut and paste most of these comments into our training slides now.
I have all winter to tighten this up, but want to send an outline to our district UIC by the end of the month.

--odie

What specific issues, if any, have you noticed your umpires having?

umpodie

Addicted to Softballfans
Sadly, I do not see all the game reports, and many are not written anyway.

I work closely with our UIC's and know there were a large number of ejections this year, more than in the past. After listening in, some seem legit....just managers forgetting why they are there and needing to think about it in the parking lot. One time an umpire spent time near one dugout, he said talking to a co-worker that stopped by the field. As you can guess, when the first close call went against the team in the other dugout, coaches and mangers went nuts thinking hometown call.

We see that newer umpires tend to eject more often because that gets rid of the current problem. We do address these things in our annual clinics, but we were chatting and thought that maybe we could do a better job with this, esp with the newer umpires. I figured I'd go to an umpire board, or two, and ask what others do and maybe add a few things we might now cover, or find a way to cover it better.

We are not trying to eliminate ejections, most are earned by the coaches, we just want to make sure we are giving them good information when they go out there.

--odie

tntviper1

who is this god fellow?

I work closely with our UIC's and know there were a large number of ejections this year, more than in the past. After listening in, some seem legit....just managers forgetting why they are there and needing to think about it in the parking lot. One time an umpire spent time near one dugout, he said talking to a co-worker that stopped by the field. As you can guess, when the first close call went against the team in the other dugout, coaches and mangers went nuts thinking hometown call.

We see that newer umpires tend to eject more often because that gets rid of the current problem. We do address these things in our annual clinics, but we were chatting and thought that maybe we could do a better job with this, esp with the newer umpires. I figured I'd go to an umpire board, or two, and ask what others do and maybe add a few things we might now cover, or find a way to cover it better.

We are not trying to eliminate ejections, most are earned by the coaches, we just want to make sure we are giving them good information when they go out there.

--odie
i think your pre game sets the tone, in 12 years i have tossed a total of 3 players and one team :)

plus as players get to know you they will understand your skill and tolerance for BS

:)

SammyJaxxx

Starting Player
If ejections are an issue why not institute a rule that if you get ejected you get fined. The fines get progressively more severe and include suspensions. I would also consider that anyone ejected needs to meet with the league director before they can play again.
If that doesn't severely curtail ejectable conduct, the problem may lie with some quick triggered umps.

JabNblue

--odie
I have been taught and try my best to live by it. Take the path of least resistance, don't bait. Always stand side by side to the coach. Don't get in someone's face. This can seem aggressive. This happens on ALL levels. Be friendly yet make your point. This has faired me well several times. If you do have to eject a player don't do such like an authority figure, but as a game management participant.

JabNblue

--odie
Good rule here. Stay in your office, keep game moving. I know people on both sides usually, but avoid migrating to either side. If they come to your office, call for next batter.