Any Looking to get certified to Ump

jclark7

Coach
I am calling it quits for tournament ball, would like to get some information on getting certified in ASA, USSSA, NSA, ISA etc.

If I can't play I can at least ump.

Will be umpiring in MS, AL, GA, TN, FL & SC

Thanks for the help

jclark7

Coach
I am located in Birmingham, about 2 hours from MS, TN, GA. Thought it would be good to be certified in the region for state tournaments and larger tournaments. I have seen a few of the same guys (typically the better umps) at larger tournaments.

Just thinking about other states for now but def. want to be certified in AL

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I am located in Birmingham, about 2 hours from MS, TN, GA. Thought it would be good to be certified in the region for state tournaments and larger tournaments. I have seen a few of the same guys (typically the better umps) at larger tournaments.

Just thinking about other states for now but def. want to be certified in AL

Just my honest 2 cents...

I'd get registered in the area in which you think you can have the most opportunities to learn and grow as an umpire. Build a strong relationship with the local leadership first, and then branch out.

Loyalty means a lot to an assignor, and a lack of loyalty tends to cast the perception that you are either A) not reliable or B) just a paycheck umpire who will drop an association at the drop of a hat.

For the last 10 years that I've been calling in NC, I've only called for one assignor. As a result, he's been very good to me. I'm not saying you should stick with just one assignor for 10 years, but I would recommend sticking with one for at least 3 or 4 years.

If you don't mind my asking, what exactly are you looking to get out of umpiring?

jclark7

Coach
Thanks for the advice NCASAUmp, I am not getting out of umpiring, I am retiring from tournament playing and getting into umpiring. Cant play at the level I want or used to and have a love for the game. Just looking to stay involved in softball

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Thanks for the advice NCASAUmp, I am not getting out of umpiring, I am retiring from tournament playing and getting into umpiring. Cant play at the level I want or used to and have a love for the game. Just looking to stay involved in softball

No no... Not "why," but what are you looking to get OUT of umpiring? What goals do you have for umpiring? A few extra bucks now and then? Giving back to the sport? Doing a good service? What? :)

Dakota Deerwood

Addicted to Softballfans

This is exactly why I started umpiring... I umped for 1 full year, then starting getting the itch to play again... Dont be surprised if that happens to you...

Best of luck...

jclark7

Coach
Oh, my bad,

Since I have a love for the game I am looking to hopefully provide quality umpiring and to better help the umpiring reputations in the area. As with all parks and circuits there are good and bad umpires and even those who seem to favor one team over another. Want to help make the game fair and fun for all teams and players. The money will simply be to cover my cost, not looking as a retirement plan.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Oh, my bad,

Since I have a love for the game I am looking to hopefully provide quality umpiring and to better help the umpiring reputations in the area. As with all parks and circuits there are good and bad umpires and even those who seem to favor one team over another. Want to help make the game fair and fun for all teams and players. The money will simply be to cover my cost, not looking as a retirement plan.

Best answer I've heard in a long time.

archangel

Addicted to Softballfans
Oh, my bad,

Dont be surprised if you are actually accused of it sometime. Players are very biased and dont see close plays as does a non- biased umpire....

joncon

Addicted to Softballfans
Kudos for wanting to help the game!

I couldn't do it.

A) Not enough patience. I'd be throwing guys out right and left until they didn't have enought to play. I'd have to keep a Tazer in my ball bag.

B) I don't like guessing on close plays and I know for a fact I'd be guessing a lot. I can't necesarily see a trap in the OF or a close tag. I'd be blowing a lot of calls so it's best if I stay out of it. My brain is slowing down too and I'd be one of those umps that called "out" then..."sorry, I meant safe"

batting4th

Addicted to Softballfans
i thought about umping down the road. some good advice i got was "go to umpiring camps". apparently you learn a lot about positioning yourself for the right call as well as learning the uncommon rules

BIG JOE

One hit left!
And this guy NCASA ump calls games that I am sure I have played in and won't reveal his identity.

Good call or not on his part. If you are gonna talk all this bs, let us know who you are so we can see if you are talk or not!

Or in my case, just to introduce myself to you!

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
And this guy NCASA ump calls games that I am sure I have played in and won't reveal his identity.

Good call or not on his part. If you are gonna talk all this bs, let us know who you are so we can see if you are talk or not!

Or in my case, just to introduce myself to you!

Considering some of the **** storms I've been in on here, probably a good call. :D