Looks like Horween?

NYC

Swag on 100.
item-25493l.jpg

The PROTT2 was just re-released. Check out the gold rawlings logo (nice touch). Looks like horween to me. Doesn't say specifically but it doesn't say Jtan either. Its on the rawlings site and this site. I bet these don't last too long, the ak2 on the bay from the east just looks like pale yellow crap compared to this one.

Last edited by a moderator:

bigmac25

Extra Hitter
people seemed pretty excited about this a few weeks ago when it was announced and everyone was talking about it... but now its being torn apart... gloves a glove. I dont see why a little wrinkle is such a big deal but i guess it is what it is...
Date Duke and I were having a convo and it kind of pertains to this....
For the most part, USA glvoes are worth big $$ minty because no one thought ' hey, ill keep this new and in 20 yrs itll be worth a ton'.
There is a pattern to ALL collectibles that are not made of precious metals...
Before people collect or think to preserve, things can be worth something.
As soon as that item is deemed to be 'worth money' there is a spike.
Once the company itself recognizes there is $$ to be made as a collectible it will pump out as much as it can and bleed it dry until the trend has ended.... at which point nothing is worth anything because the bubble has burst and no one will care any more.
Wilson has been at it with the GOTM, but this is the start of Rawlings realizing its collectible potential.
Sadly, its all down hill from here...

Pick your trend! Baseball cards, Beanie Babies, Starting Lineups, Sports Picks, Star Wars toys etc etc...

Lets use baseball cards for example...
Whats worth something? Pre 1970 cards..
Why? Because they were thrown out, put in bike spokes, played with etc .
No one thought to save them and as a result few survived so when the hobby took off, everyone was scrambling for a limited supply in good condition (much like usa rawlings for example)
Then companies started to take notice and pumped out as many as they could and more than people needed or wanted even if they thought they needed them. Each company would put out many different series each year. There is enough 1991 donruss printed to go all the way around the world. People started thinking of it as an investment and bought cases and put them in storage unopened so they could put their kid through school on it someday.
Now? they are worth less then they paid in the early to mid 90s and thats even with inflation.
Eventually people stopped caring and the hobby imploded. People jumped off the bandwagon and cut their losses.
It eventually came back a bit and there were hardcore guys who never left, but its nothing like the old days when candy distributes stocked them and every gas station you went to had a nice selection.
The hobby still exists, but everything thats not an autograph or jersey piece is essentially filler and even those are watered down and not really worth anything. If you collect, its for fun- not to make $$.

With the exception of maybe game used equipment ( which, is still worth more if its back from when people didnt think about saving/collecting it) or maybe shoes- which i know nothing about but it seems to thrive... every hobby has followed the same pattern.

So, unless you have a pro dept glove or something 1 of 10 or something, odds are gloves wont make you rich.
All these limited editions rawlings is pumping out? not very limited. Most can be replicated by making a custom.
Now, 10 yrs from now all these poeple will have kept their 'limited' gloves on a shelf so they wont be as difficult to obtain because people are aware of it and because so many gloves are being kept mint - it wont have the same 10 or 20 year spike in price like gloves that are from 10 or 20 yrs ago to current, in the now.

This is common sense to most, but for the people complaining about a small issue in their craftsmanship if it bothers you because you are ocd about it thats totally cool. But if you are concerned because itll be devalued thats just silly. This is a glove, its made to be used. Collect what you like to collect because you like it and it gives you joy. Not to save it for 10 years from now to cash in on a sale. You arent the only one with that idea lol. Nothing coming off of the production line at the moment will be worth much and when horween becomes common place among custom and people arent searching for it, even that minty pro200-1 you might be hoarding wont be worth much more than a glove because everyone can buy one. The old ones should still carry value because of how they came to be rare and extinct, but when the hype dies down and not as many people are competing for them who knows if they will still be a constant value gain.

There will be exceptions, super low # exclusives, something that cant be replicated with a custom, autographed or game used gloves... but all in all this isnt a way to get rich. Its a way to have fun. I really think that someday after the fad is passed these 'special' gloves will just be bought for normal glove prices to use like they were intended. The hard core guys who just appreciate leather will still be there and probably trying to seek out what is collectible ( older gloves, pro dept and the like) and maybe when the dust settles it wont be all that different from 5 yrs ago before this glove collecting trend became a thing.

I could be wrong, but this has happened SSSOOO many times with anything 'collectible' my $$ is on history repeating itself.

Last edited:

DatDuke

Preach On BigMac. You have shed the light on Glove Collecting and I am a believer. Only way to get rich is to use those gloves, work hard and hope to get pick up by the Major. Once that happen, sign all those glove you own and put them on IG.

Last edited:

beeblebobble

Starting Player
Most of those complaining never held a made in usa those were all filled with imperfections. Part of having to go to the store was finding the glove that would best fit your hand cause plenty of the same model would all have unique quirks to them. There are some unique cases but I find most of these complaints to be petty and part of the throw away self entitled culture that permeates our youth.

milocoman

Administrator
Staff member
I get the feeling most complaining are flippers. None of them seem to have ever had a plan to game them. Leather will have issues. Granted some of the TT2's are a little rougher than they should be but for me to have people returning cause the feel is not good is just outrageous. We still have decent stock for anyone interested.

milocoman

Administrator
Staff member
BTW NYC I edited your post. No need to mention other sites here especially when this site carries the same product!!

bigmac25

Extra Hitter
Id bet most of the kids who want a horween glove would have a reaction of 'wtf is this?!' If u dropped one in their lap.
And if horween is the big thing, u can bey ur bottom dollar rawlings will make it an option. What makes the horween gloves from 5 yrs ago speical at that point if a custom will produce the same result?? Maybe the leather is different and hardcore guys will care, but most people would be indifferent. Its really cool having all these options avbl, but the flip side is it kills prior 'special' makes. Swag series is a perfect example!! Whos gonna pay a ton for a 1 of 6 glove when u can make or buy the same thing? Those of you who got out of them when u did for a profit were smart...

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Horween glove leather is notoriously difficult to work with and nice neat straight seams are almost impossible. I have asked Bart about going back to it if he could get his hands on more and he said no, too many complaints about how crude the gloves look. He much prefers the much more supple JT leather or oil tanned leathers.

If you want a pretty glove, stay away from the Horween. Horween is for players who want their gloves to get dirty and used up over 10-20 years.

Jchap

Horween glove leather is notoriously difficult to work with and nice neat straight seams are almost impossible. I have asked Bart about going back to it if he could get his hands on more and he said no, too many complaints about how crude the gloves look. He much prefers the much more supple JT leather or oil tanned leathers.

If you want a pretty glove, stay away from the Horween. Horween is for players who want their gloves to get dirty and used up over 10-20 years.
I feel my dry Horween custom is exceptionally well made.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
I am not saying it is impossible, but any given glove could have more flaws. Also, the Horween glove leather is designed for function, not a sofa, the leather itself might have wrinkles or not be as perfect as a nice smooth kip.

huntaholic21

Addicted to Softballfans
I am not saying it is impossible, but any given glove could have more flaws. Also, the Horween glove leather is designed for function, not a sofa, the leather itself might have wrinkles or not be as perfect as a nice smooth kip.

They have been complaining about the Zobrist pro preferred also.

NYC

Swag on 100.
What is the complaint on this glove? I will give it a try and form my own opinion. If it's indeed oiled code 55 then I can live with that, I'm getting to the age where 2 seasons of breaking in a glove is pointless.

NYC

Swag on 100.
people seemed pretty excited about this a few weeks ago when it was announced and everyone was talking about it... but now its being torn apart... gloves a glove. I dont see why a little wrinkle is such a big deal but i guess it is what it is...
For the most part, USA glvoes are worth big $$ minty because no one thought ' hey, ill keep this new and in 20 yrs itll be worth a ton'.
Once the company itself recognizes there is $$ to be made as a collectible it will pump out as much as it can and bleed it dry until the trend has ended.... at which point nothing is worth anything because the bubble has burst and no one will care any more.
Wilson has been at it with the GOTM, but this is the start of Rawlings realizing its collectible potential.

Pick your trend! Baseball cards, Beanie Babies, Starting Lineups, Sports Picks, Star Wars toys etc etc...

No one thought to save them and as a result few survived so when the hobby took off, everyone was scrambling for a limited supply in good condition (much like usa rawlings for example)
Then companies started to take notice and pumped out as many as they could and more than people needed or wanted even if they thought they needed them. Each company would put out many different series each year. There is enough 1991 donruss printed to go all the way around the world. People started thinking of it as an investment and bought cases and put them in storage unopened so they could put their kid through school on it someday.
Now? they are worth less then they paid in the early to mid 90s and thats even with inflation.
Eventually people stopped caring and the hobby imploded. People jumped off the bandwagon and cut their losses.
It eventually came back a bit and there were hardcore guys who never left, but its nothing like the old days when candy distributes stocked them and every gas station you went to had a nice selection.
The hobby still exists, but everything thats not an autograph or jersey piece is essentially filler and even those are watered down and not really worth anything. If you collect, its for fun- not to make $$.

With the exception of maybe game used equipment ( which, is still worth more if its back from when people didnt think about saving/collecting it) or maybe shoes- which i know nothing about but it seems to thrive... every hobby has followed the same pattern.

So, unless you have a pro dept glove or something 1 of 10 or something, odds are gloves wont make you rich.
All these limited editions rawlings is pumping out? not very limited. Most can be replicated by making a custom.
Now, 10 yrs from now all these poeple will have kept their 'limited' gloves on a shelf so they wont be as difficult to obtain because people are aware of it and because so many gloves are being kept mint - it wont have the same 10 or 20 year spike in price like gloves that are from 10 or 20 yrs ago to current, in the now.

This is common sense to most, but for the people complaining about a small issue in their craftsmanship if it bothers you because you are ocd about it thats totally cool. But if you are concerned because itll be devalued thats just silly. This is a glove, its made to be used. Collect what you like to collect because you like it and it gives you joy. Not to save it for 10 years from now to cash in on a sale. You arent the only one with that idea lol. Nothing coming off of the production line at the moment will be worth much and when horween becomes common place among custom and people arent searching for it, even that minty pro200-1 you might be hoarding wont be worth much more than a glove because everyone can buy one. The old ones should still carry value because of how they came to be rare and extinct, but when the hype dies down and not as many people are competing for them who knows if they will still be a constant value gain.

There will be exceptions, super low # exclusives, something that cant be replicated with a custom, autographed or game used gloves... but all in all this isnt a way to get rich. Its a way to have fun. I really think that someday after the fad is passed these 'special' gloves will just be bought for normal glove prices to use like they were intended. The hard core guys who just appreciate leather will still be there and probably trying to seek out what is collectible ( older gloves, pro dept and the like) and maybe when the dust settles it wont be all that different from 5 yrs ago before this glove collecting trend became a thing.

I could be wrong, but this has happened SSSOOO many times with anything 'collectible' my $$ is on history repeating itself.

Good thing for me I'm not looking to sit on it for 30 years and then sell it for a 40% profit. I use all my gloves, if even for a little bit and then sell it lightly used. Kids today are jumping on the old school glove bandwagon.

MaverickAH

You forgot to mention sneakers!!!! Back in the 70's when I was a teen, we had a sneaker outlet factory that used to sell leather & suede Clydes, Chucks & Pro Keds for $15 a pop! If I had a crystal ball back then, I'd be rolling in dough now!

Here's what's going to be the problem with gloves as I see it......... I can see that 10 to 20 years from now, leather gloves just might finally be replaced by synthetic gloves. There are already rumblings......... It'll be just like what happened with composite bats. Certain metal bats like early Demarini doublewall's & Easton ZCore's & Connexion ZCore's were valued at a premium. We all know what happened once composites hit the market in force........

bigmac25

Extra Hitter
Good thing for me I'm not looking to sit on it for 30 years and then sell it for a 40% profit. I use all my gloves, if even for a little bit and then sell it lightly used. Kids today are jumping on the old school glove bandwagon.
This wasnt directed at you in a negative way or anything, just in general. A 40% profit would be doing well. Keeping with the card example, most 90s cards are useful as a firestarter and thats pretty much it. A TT2 or two had a wrinkle in the finger. Id never give it a 2nd thought, but to each their own.

moren025

Addicted to Softballfans
It'll be just like what happened with composite bats. Certain metal bats like early Demarini doublewall's & Easton ZCore's & Connexion ZCore's were valued at a premium. We all know what happened once composites hit the market in force........

I guess it depends where you live. Know a couple of guys doing pretty well in the sneaker trade and the Z Cores & C Cores, they bring a premium especially out here in So Cal where there are still a few "renegade" baseball leagues. If you can swing it, you can pretty much use it. Most guys are using the BESRs but the ones who know...

bigmac25

Extra Hitter
You forgot to mention sneakers!!!! Back in the 70's when I was a teen, we had a sneaker outlet factory that used to sell leather & suede Clydes, Chucks & Pro Keds for $15 a pop! If I had a crystal ball back then, I'd be rolling in dough now!

Here's what's going to be the problem with gloves as I see it......... I can see that 10 to 20 years from now, leather gloves just might finally be replaced by synthetic gloves. There are already rumblings......... It'll be just like what happened with composite bats. Certain metal bats like early Demarini doublewall's & Easton ZCore's & Connexion ZCore's were valued at a premium. We all know what happened once composites hit the market in force........
That sounds pretty cool!!
I mentioned it, but know nothing about it. I still hear people talking about getting new jordans in release day from time to time so i assumed its still a big deal, but i really have no clue.

Im glad we are having this convo and kinda clearing the air so to speak. Its good to hear other people opinions, and where ever you stand hopefully this flipping nonsense of a new glove thats instock fad will end at somepoint. IG hypes it and somepeople act like its good business... but it just cant be. Now that the options are there to essentially make 90% of whats possible for gloves (save a few patterns, full mesh and wing tip mesh) IMO a modern glove make shouldnt go for over what a custom costs unless someone is super impatient. If thats the case, then you deserve to pay more i guess

NYC

Swag on 100.
This wasnt directed at you in a negative way or anything, just in general. A 40% profit would be doing well. Keeping with the card example, most 90s cards are useful as a firestarter and thats pretty much it. A TT2 or two had a wrinkle in the finger. Id never give it a 2nd thought, but to each their own.

40% profit for 30 years? On a glove? With inflation. Not worth it. The joy of using it outweighs those couple hundred bucks. LOL @ wrinkle in the finger as a reason to dislike it or return it. I understand a crotch tear.

bigmac25

Extra Hitter
40% profit for 30 years? On a glove? With inflation. Not worth it. The joy of using it outweighs those couple hundred bucks. LOL @ wrinkle in the finger as a reason to dislike it or return it. I understand a crotch tear.
No , you are right.. its not at all worth it, which is why i think its pointless BUT with how many people on IG seem to think shelfing these current gloves bc they are rare? 40% isnt bad if they actly got it. For some of the older guys, or maybe a 50 yr old? Waitingr until your 80 to try and sell a gove for that profit?? Whats the point...

Jchap

No , you are right.. its not at all worth it, which is why i think its pointless BUT with how many people on IG seem to think shelfing these current gloves bc they are rare? 40% isnt bad if they actly got it. For some of the older guys, or maybe a 50 yr old? Waitingr until your 80 to try and sell a gove for that profit?? Whats the point...
Name one person on IG that is planning on shelving the Tulo for ten years, yet alone 30 years.

NYC

Swag on 100.

Are these even that limited?

Last edited:

Party mafia

maybe the 80 years old man will bury with his horween glove 6 feets under. lol

bigmac25

Extra Hitter
Name one person on IG that is planning on shelving the Tulo for ten years, yet alone 30 years.
I think your missing what my point is bud, its not 1 person specifically but if you collect something dont ya just kinda plan on saving it?? Who knows whatll end up happing to my collection. I dont! Ill use em, then theyll sit on a shelf maybe be used again someday, and eventually be thrown out or sold. Its not something i expect a return on though. The people buying the tt2 to self are adding it to their collection. Id imagine on the premise that someday theyll be worth something. To a degree, thats the point of keeping something minty. Investing and keeping it nice to sell at a later date. Like i mentioned, the amount of people that have that idea is way more than the ppl who thought to save usa versions and wont be worth as much. This glove isnt limited, but id guess more ppl will be keeping it minty on IG rather than playing with it...

Jchap

I think your missing what my point is bud, its not 1 person specifically but if you collect something dont ya just kinda plan on saving it?? Who knows whatll end up happing to my collection. I dont! Ill use em, then theyll sit on a shelf maybe be used again someday, and eventually be thrown out or sold. Its not something i expect a return on though. The people buying the tt2 to self are adding it to their collection. Id imagine on the premise that someday theyll be worth something. To a degree, thats the point of keeping something minty. Investing and keeping it nice to sell at a later date. Like i mentioned, the amount of people that have that idea is way more than the ppl who thought to save usa versions and wont be worth as much. This glove isnt limited, but id guess more ppl will be keeping it minty on IG rather than playing with it...
No I got your point bud, hyperbole to advance your opinion.