Looks like I'm back in coaching

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
Our league president called me the other night and said that they are strapped for coaches in the 10U (where my youngest is signed up) and asked if I would come back to coaching. I had stepped back a couple of years ago because we were "lousy with coaches". Back in the game now. We had team picks on Tuesday night. Two other guys agreed to co-coach with me, but they were both saying, "Well, I've never coached, so you'll need to be the lead". We have 11 girls. One pitcher for sure, so we'll have to train up a couple more. My daughter wants to catch, so I'll get her in the gear and work her out.

It's fun. It's also a ton of work. Wish me luck boys :)

KAWMAN10

Addicted to Softballfans
Good luck. I used to coach Little League baseball. I was the only coach with no connection to any player (no kid on team) I couldn't take it from parents. I had to step down, since the other coach was a dip***** with a son who thought he knew everything... got to love those ones.

Good Luck

Moneytree

Addicted to Softballfans
I posted this last fall on one of my local boards in response to a gentleman complaining about parent coaches but I think it kinda fits in here as well.

"First and foremost I thank the good Lord everyday that my children are talented and healthy enough to play sports.

A Coaches job isn't to make my daughter better. The coach provides the drills and guidance and it is up to us as parents to help our children become better players. This is accomplished outside of organized team practices on an individual basis. AT HOME!

Life is not always fair.

Softball is a team sport and sometimes the team may be better served by having my daughter sit the bench. Being a good teammate encompasses so much more than what happens on the field.

And finally I owe a debt of gratitude to each and every Coach that has helped my daughter. From first year 12's all the way to 18 Gold and back down again. Each Coach has advanced my daughters game and more importantly each has help her to be a better student of life! Sometimes it is the smallest lessons that mean the most and every once in a while those lessons even pertain to softball.

And before I forget I think its important to mention that each and everyone of these fantastic Coaches had a daughter on the team. It is easy to get shortsighted and miss the real meaning.

Softball is worth way more than just the last game played and who stood where on the field. Thanks for reminding me of that. "

You Sir, are one of the good guys. Thank you for being there for the kids!

Gary

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
Thanks guys! I really do enjoy it. I like to think that each girl has in some way benefited from whatever I could pass on - even if it's just a bad example.

Looking forward to starting practices in late March.