Low Carb Diet and Saturday Tourney Play in heat

PeteJC

Addicted to Softballfans
I've started doing a low carb diet where I'm eating less than 20 non fiber carbs a day. What should I eat on Friday night and Saturday morning and throught the day Saturday when I play tourneys in 95+ degree heat with 90+ humidity. Stay low carb or carb load for the weekend?

Primo

fat and famous pablo
you're ****ed iether way.........not a good time to be doing a no carb deal. start mixing it raw fruit and veggies wednesday evening thru sunday. besides, carb loading friday nigth and thru the weekend isn't gonna help you that weekend

wcoastsoftball

Yeah. I would just prepare ways to keep yourself cool. Ice and towels and the like. I have never had problems with lower carb diets and games, specifically hockey, but also that is enviroment controlled and not hot and humid. Maybe try the Gatorade system with the 1, 2, 3 to keep yourself as prepared and hydrated as possible.

PeteJC

Addicted to Softballfans
We played 6 games in it last Saturday and I held up pretty well. I think hydration was my biggest problem. I think the high humidity suppresses your thirst a little.

Late in the afternoon I realized I hadn't peed in several hours so I increased my fluid intake and felt better. I also took some potasium and calcium that I keep in our bag of softballs.

Next tourney I think I'll get up early and make sure I have a good full breakfast. If I carb up Wed thru Sunday I might as well not be on the diet. Overall my energy level is higher on low-carb. The first 2 or 3 days are a drag while you ween yourself off all the carbs and your body adjusts.

Thanks for the input, keep it coming.

PeteJC

Addicted to Softballfans
Hydration is a good answer too. I think it's a little easier to get dehydrated on a low-carb diet since your body is flushing (<--- good use of pun) a lot of fat through your system along with fluids.

eHall

Base burglar
Oranges during the day on saturday can help prevent cramping. Bananas are great the morning of and night before. Avoid caffeine.

You wont have much energy on a low carb diet. Especially during physical activities. Your body needs carbs.

Once you feel thirsty during the day saturday, its probably too late to avoid dehydration/cramping. Remind yourself to keep drinking water even if you are not thirsty.

Hydration is important, but training your body is probably more important. What type of training are you doing during the week?

Primo

fat and famous pablo
Hope u aren't trying to paraphrase me cause that isn't what I said btw

no...that's w/ the OP said..."i have more energy on low carb diets"

i decided i was no logner going to try and help after that......

and no, potassium the night before or the day of is not going to help stop cramps...maybe the wholel week prior.......the day of, the best thing to avoid cramping is salt tablets and fluids. i prefer pickle juice

wcoastsoftball

and no, potassium the night before or the day of is not going to help stop cramps...maybe the wholel week prior.......the day of, the best thing to avoid cramping is salt tablets and fluids. i prefer pickle juice

I see. Missed that Part. I see no reason to stop the low Carb diet for a tourney but as u said promo it may be a little late in preparing now. But it is only Thursday so getting a bit more carbs if he thinks this is an issue can't hurt. I probably wouldn't overindulge though

There are some studies out on cramping I will link them when I get home.

Primo

fat and famous pablo
I see. Missed that Part. I see no reason to stop the low Carb diet for a tourney but as u said promo it may be a little late in preparing now. But it is only Thursday so getting a bit more carbs if he thinks this is an issue can't hurt. I probably wouldn't overindulge though

There are some studies out on cramping I will link them when I get home.

he thought i meant binge...i simply stated start eating a few more pieces of raw fruits and veggies starting wednesday night, thru sunday......if he's working out hard, he still wont be getting enough calories and will still lose weight.....but w/o the side effects of the low carb diet. Personally, i never cut cabrs until the winter. If you can't burn enough calories in the summer, you're a lazy pos anyway......

eHall

Base burglar
Good info but if Im taking advice from a guy named Joe Przytula, it better be about what to put on my pizza or how to dispose of a body.

fuggadaboutit.

Flash

<font color="#7AC5CD">Ice Queen</font>

That's twice today I've seen mention of pickle juice.

http://www.healthzone.ca/health/die...ing-pickle-juice-relieves-muscle-cramps-study

Primo

fat and famous pablo
there's a complex in tulsa (broken arrow i think) that actually freezes pickle juice shots in those little ketchup deals you get a fast food joints and sells them....for a ****ing dollar

eHall

Base burglar
1.75 bottles of water at one of the complexes here. And a cup of ice costs the same as a soda.

Absolutely nothing remotely healthy to eat or drink unless gatorade counts.

A couple places have big pickles but its out of a giant jar rather than in its own pouch.

Flash

<font color="#7AC5CD">Ice Queen</font>
1.75 bottles of water at one of the complexes here. And a cup of ice costs the same as a soda.

Absolutely nothing remotely healthy to eat or drink unless gatorade counts.

A couple places have big pickles but its out of a giant jar rather than in its own pouch.

This.

This is a huge issue for me. They have started selling bags of cutup veggies - cuke, cauliflower, broccoli, carrots - for $4 and some fruit. But there rest of the menu is burgers, hotdogs, deep-fried chicken fingers, pre-made subs, etc.

People are convinced the taco salad bags - greasy regular ground beef, fried, and dumped into a bag of crushed Doritos with some lettuce and gobs of sour cream and salsa - are healthy.

Pack your own lunch, you say?

No. The park has declared itself outside-food-free, meaning that if you get caught bringing any food or water into the park, you - and sometimes your team - can be suspended for up to a year.

PeteJC

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks for your input Primo. I did misread your intentions in the eat fruit and fresh vggies comment. Don't give up on me. I don't mean to irritate but maybe you are just easily annoyed. LOL!

Taking Calcium and Potasium with a couple of gatoraids if you start to cramp does help almost immediately as does eating a pickle or drinking the juice. I gave some potasium and calcium with an ibuprophen and a gatoraid to a guy that fell out from the heat while he was waiting for an ambulance and the EMT's said I probably saved him from a trip to the ER.

All this info is great and it will help give me options as I play ball in the Arkansas heat and humidity while I try to drop from 215 to about 175-180. At 49 I've got to be able to run with the kids I play with and against.

Thanks again!