Making the switch to UTRIP

TRaj2327

You could make an argument for every league out there being the dumbest under the sun. Sounds to me that jbo is just complaining about his local experiences with USSSA. Around here I have a major gripe with ASA because none of them properly call the 6-10' arc which has been in effect for 3 years now and was done to more closely mirror USSSA in many people's opinions. The other major issue is that many umpires call ASA based on where it lands and often times that means coming in WAY over the shoulder and essentially being an unhittable pitch. I think that is absolute BS and part of why I hate ASA -- and NSA for that matter.

I guess what I'm saying is everyone out there has a gripe about every league. Around here, chuck and duck (ASA and NSA) are basically dead. So, GSL and USSSA where you have fakes are king and what people are attracted to. Most pitchers prefer to be able to fake here, and as a pitcher I'm surprised you don't also.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not talking about leagues.

I've had the opposite experience with ASA and NSA actually. Most of the times they call it where it lands, and I'll throw a 6' or so pitch that clearly crosses under the shoulder, but because it lands so far back they call it "deep".

Are you fooled by pump fakes? I'm not. I don't see them as a useful idea to try and help a pitcher out. I'll use them occasionally to keep people honest, but I'd rather they not allow people to stand 3' in front of the plate.

scrub

Addicted to Softballfans
These guys are really over complicating things. What you want to do is first of all act like you're very important, make sure you get a colorful uniform that only a guy running a slowpitch softball team could think looks good, and most important thing is to complain about every strike call. Or any call for that matter, whether you're involved with the play or not. I mean really play it up. This is how you gain stature and become a respected team. Also as of 2015 shavers are mandatory, so make sure you're swinging one or you could get banned for up to a year. One final thing, if a pitcher is a wearing a mask, he is taunting you. You need to shoot middle on pitchers wearing masks, also mandatory and you can be ejected if you don't. Oh yeah and whatever it cost to play utrip last year, it will cost 20% more this year, and next year, and the year after and so forth. Because like, electrolytes. That pretty much covers it.

Superstar555

Addicted to Softballfans
Be prepared to throw bp fastballs.
Be prepared to be told the max arc height is 10' and never see anything above 7' called, and that only rarely.
Be prepared to hear different rules in almost every aspect of the game every time you play. My last tourney the ump made me touch the rubber before taking my pitching position anywhere in the 6' pitching box.

I don't like UTrip. In my experience, it's far and away the most poorly run association.

I couldn't have said it better myself.