Man-made synthetic leather gloves

Does anyone know if any of the top manufactures produce a synthetic fielding glove? Through a little bit of research I have discovered Carpenter Trade who seems to make really high quality custom gloves that go for over $500. I'm hoping to find a stock glove from a bigger brand name for a lower price. Thanks in advance.

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
Does anyone know if any of the top manufactures produce a synthetic fielding glove? Through a little bit of research I have discovered Carpenter Trade who seems to make really high quality custom gloves that go for over $500. I'm hoping to find a stock glove from a bigger brand name for a lower price. Thanks in advance.

You found it, buy it

Committed

Search the forum for "Carpenter" and you will find a few years worth of information. Lots of helpful info but only a handful of guys actually own one.

I am close to getting one myself now that TIP is offered. SBF bulk discount perhaps? :)

MaverickAH

I am not against the concept but I am vehemently against the pricing!

Now I get that Carpenters are custom, hand-made, one-at-a-time, low volume items. That has more to do with the pricing than the cost of the materials used. Think of most other industries using the same materials. It usually equates to a lower price, not higher. It only equates to high prices in the high end fashion industry. Take Louis Vuitton for example (Yes, due to being married, I've gained an extensive knowledge into the fashion industry through osmosis! :oops:). Their main line of product is mostly synthetic material but yet they are able to charge prohibitive prices because: a) they can & b) they want to generate an air of exclusiveness.

I think that the more interesting question is, why aren't the big boys in the baseball glove industry making moves in the direction of all synthetic gloves? There's nothing exclusive about the materials being used. Anybody can use them. One would think that if everything
else is equal, being able to take the fluctuating price of leather & the inherent inconsistencies of hides out of the equation would be beneficial. The obvious answer is that everything is not equal! I have serious doubts about the "feel" of an all synthetic glove being the same as a leather glove. The best analogy I can think of is shoes. We all wear shoes or footwear made out of synthetic material. It can be lighter, more durable & more cost effective........ But if you give me a choice of the synthetic shoe or a leather one? I'd take the leather one every single time! They just feel better & breathe better to me. The same with gloves........

I can't tell you how many times I've been oh so close to pulling the trigger on a Carpenter glove just because.......... Just can't do it........:(

Soxfan8

Starting Player
Is this for ethical reasons? Other than entry-level $25 gloves, I am not aware of anything besides Carpenter that is all synthetic. If you were looking to buy something really well-made anyway, Carpenter is not a bad option. If you just want some synthetic component to your glove, Rawlings and Wilson obviously have mesh and “Superskin” options, respectively.

Is this for ethical reasons?

Yes, actually.

To Mavericks point, I know an all leather glove is more practical and is a far superior product. I have a Mizuno custom classic pro and I'm not ready to toss that aside for a synthetic glove of any type. I'm merely intrigued by the idea and would be interested in purchasing something synthetic, or semi synthetic just to play around with. I love what Carpenter is doing, albeit a bit to expensive for something just to "play around with." I also think it is encouraging to see the big companies implement materials such as mesh and superskin.

I also found it interesting to read that Carlos Gonzalez used the Nike Vapor 360 in 2013 and won a GG with it. I know that glove is seen by some as a sham but if nothing else it think it shows there is room for advancement with alternative materials.

Soxfan8

Starting Player
Yes, actually.

To Mavericks point, I know an all leather glove is more practical and is a far superior product. I have a Mizuno custom classic pro and I'm not ready to toss that aside for a synthetic glove of any type. I'm merely intrigued by the idea and would be interested in purchasing something synthetic, or semi synthetic just to play around with. I love what Carpenter is doing, albeit a bit to expensive for something just to "play around with." I also think it is encouraging to see the big companies implement materials such as mesh and superskin.

I also found it interesting to read that Carlos Gonzalez used the Nike Vapor 360 in 2013 and won a GG with it. I know that glove is seen by some as a sham but if nothing else it think it shows there is room for advancement with alternative materials.

I get it. If you're not completely against materials used in the Vapor 360, which seems to be the case, that's a glove that you can probably find a deal on.

JoeBeimel

Yes, actually.

The Easton 'Black Magic' series of gloves were the best gloves you could get for <$75, synthetic or otherwise. It's spongy and the velcro back is strange, but it's incredibly light and holds up well. Only the laces were leather I believe.

On a side note, if you have ethical problems with how leather gloves are made and not the material itself, buying a secondhand glove might fit your goals. You get a leather product without contributing to the production of new leather products.

MaverickAH

I don't recollect Black Magic's being synthetic........ Pig leather with plastic trim maybe, but not all synthetic......... Pig has that spongy feel to it & is very light.

Somehow I have, in the back of my memory, that someone (maybe Easton or Rawlings) made an all mesh glove. It wasn't made to be higher end but I do remember seeing one. I tried to see if I could find a pic on the net but was unsuccessful. There are plenty of synthetic gloves available for young children.

Easton has probably been the most innovative, of late, in incorporating synthetic materials into their gloves.

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
Rawlings or Easton did make an all mesh back glove, a teamate of mine had one and she really liked it. It was very light. The open type mesh caused it to kinda collect dirt but other wise if seemed ok.
I think that in the future someone will make at leats a partial if not all synthetic glove but, it will be along time before anyone attempts a high end or custom glove like Scott Carpenter is doing. With the cost of leather going up you already have almost no good straight leather hide in cheaper gloves, just split hides and pigskins. Almost all gloves have synthetic materials inside them, on mid to lower range for sure. I have a protopye with synthetic insides and it is actually a nice glove and feels good on your hand, not sure how it will hold up but will find out if I dont sell it.

sleepin4matty

Management Material
Carpenter is an excellent glove with an amazing bit of customer service behind the company. I would highly highly recommend buying one if you can afford to throw that kind of money at one.
That being said, I don't use my Carpenter as often as I did previously for two reasons: 1) I switched to using my glove TIP and that wasn't an option when I ordered my Carpenter 6+ years ago 2) I sent my Carpenter in for a relace and started using my Nike Shado Elite J (broken in TIP) and just haven't swapped back yet

davisrelacing

The Other Guy
Carpenter is an excellent glove with an amazing bit of customer service behind the company. I would highly highly recommend buying one if you can afford to throw that kind of money at one.
That being said, I don't use my Carpenter as often as I did previously for two reasons: 1) I switched to using my glove TIP and that wasn't an option when I ordered my Carpenter 6+ years ago 2) I sent my Carpenter in for a relace and started using my Nike Shado Elite J (broken in TIP) and just haven't swapped back yet

I'm definitely in for pics of the relace. When I relaced one, there was no feasible way to get the palm run done and would be interested in seeing if yours was replaced or not.
Dan

MaverickAH

1. I would love to see current pics of your Carpenter.
  2. The main reservation I have about a Carpenter is not their price. It's their "feel". I'm not talking about the custom tailored glove stall. I'm talking about how do they feel catching a ball? How do they respond? In the pocket? In the web? When you don't catch the ball clean? Does the responsiveness differ from leather?
  3. Because of its price & exclusiveness, feedback on this glove from sources I feel comfortable with are practically nonexistent. It doesn't leave me feeling confident especially when there's no, "After break-in reviews" or "2 years in" feedback. I would love to know who is using one as their front line gamer.

sleepin4matty

Management Material
I'll snag some pics either tonight or tomorrow. I do use it one night a week now as it's nearly full time gamer status again. Oddly enough it did take some time to break it in again after a relace even though it is basically a shoe lace and synthetic leather.

davisrelacing

The Other Guy
My friend Jeff originally requested the neon lace when he purchased the LH/Carpenter glove from ebay, but was told that only the black "proprietary" lacing was available and that any other color wasn't as good. So, he came to me. Scott approached him after he realized I was relacing it and then offered to do the relace in an "inferior" neon green lace.

So, Matty, I asked to know if the palm run was relaced because the majority of it is hidden underneath the custom made liner. Even with my skills and ingenuity I could not figure it out. Scott told me that he has "special tools" to handle it.

11in9kz.jpg

2ntzces.jpg

33eu3hx.jpg

sleepin4matty

Management Material
My friend Jeff originally requested the neon lace when he purchased the LH/Carpenter glove from ebay, but was told that only the black "proprietary" lacing was available and that any other color wasn't as good. So, he came to me. Scott approached him after he realized I was relacing it and then offered to do the relace in an "inferior" neon green lace.

So, Matty, I asked to know if the palm run was relaced because the majority of it is hidden underneath the custom made liner. Even with my skills and ingenuity I could not figure it out. Scott told me that he has "special tools" to handle it.

11in9kz.jpg

2ntzces.jpg

33eu3hx.jpg
that relace looks incredible. I wish Scott offered these types of options back when I ordered my original glove (a different color logo wasn't even an option then). I don't know if the palm run was relaced tbh I'll have to take a look. When I got it back it felt as stiff as it did brand new, I would assume it was relaced as he was replacing the thumb/pinky stays in mine to a more durable composite material instead of the plastic he was using before