Managers playing time

lakeyale13

Manager
Man bro, you must have a bunch of greenhorns on the team.. 43 is not OLD by any stretch of the imagination, and from the vid of yours I saw, you seem like a stout young man that swings that axe pretty darn good.. don't let the young pups push you around lol

Ditto man. If that video was you, you are a straight masher. That was some insane contact.

lakeyale13

Manager
Is this a real issue with some teams? Jesus Christ

Yeah. If you're the manager and you're responsible for enough guys showing up and you call in the "extra guy" cause you don't think you will have enough and someone unexpectedly shows up, the right thing to do ( and the toughest thing to do ) is sit and let the guy play that you called in.

mvfjet

Part Time Player
You hit the nail on the head my man. To be a Coach with integrity and respect means to do just that...be the servant leader. Sit when that extra guy shows up.

Where I would disagree is putting yourself down in the line up. There is absolutely ZERO reason to put you anywhere in the lineup that doesn't fit your skill level, and most importantly, where you are gonna help the team the most. If you are a masher and put yourself hitting 9 that's unselfish, but not helping your team. Conversely though, we have all seen the "Coach / Manager" who is only the coach / manager so he can put himself hitting leadoff or in the 3 spot when he has absolutely zero reason to be doing so.

I had a manager who would do this too and we'd ask him "dude, why are you batting your self 3rd? That's the spot for the best hitter" his response was "I need more at bats for practice."

Last night I batted my self 2nd to last and went 2-3 with a double and triple. The guy behind me went 3-3 so it worked out perfect to roll it over to the top of the lineup. We scored 25 runs so I'll keep doing that until it doesn't work.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
Yeah. If you're the manager and you're responsible for enough guys showing up and you call in the "extra guy" cause you don't think you will have enough and someone unexpectedly shows up, the right thing to do ( and the toughest thing to do ) is sit and let the guy play that you called in.
Not here.. the guy that showed unexpectedly especially if he was one that wasn't supposed to show is the one sitting.. it seems that alot of guys on here do the pay to play stuff, did it once and only once. Teams I've run and played/play for have/had sponsors so when I ask someone to play I let them know what's expected of them, if i ask you to play or hit in a spot that you wouldn't normally for whatever reason I expect you to do so for the team if it becomes an issue feel free to stay at home some didn't/don't like it most of them were/are fine with it

lakeyale13

Manager
Not here.. the guy that showed unexpectedly especially if he was one that wasn't supposed to show is the one sitting.. it seems that alot of guys on here do the pay to play stuff, did it once and only once. Teams I've run and played/play for have/had sponsors so when I ask someone to play I let them know what's expected of them, if i ask you to play or hit in a spot that you wouldn't normally for whatever reason I expect you to do so for the team if it becomes an issue feel free to stay at home some didn't/don't like it most of them were/are fine with it

Totally get it when it isn't a "pay to play" scenario. I've only done the pay to play. Also, kudos to you on clear expectations. You set up expectations clearly on the front end and no one has room to complain later.

blakcherry329

I've never had a coach that was very good at softball. So they only played when they really had to.
That's probably the case most of the time. However, if the Mgr is good, he should play, if it helps the team, as much as he wants. I'm not as cut-throat as some. so if a guy is willing to run the team, he can play, even if he sux. lol

r8dr_rider

Ok managers chime in. I’ve been a good sport but recently can’t get a damn lead off batter that is consistent. I put myself as lead off (to make a point) last game and went 3-3. I’m so ready to put myself on the top again but hate doing that since I’m the guy making the line up. I used to always lead off. Not a power hitter but I’ll get on base, but since managing I usually put me on the bottom. What say you????

Last edited:

Redsfan

If you are playing to win, make your line up so it will give you the best chance to win. If you are playing just to have fun who cares what the line up looks like.

FLEET

bowling ball nut swanga
sounds like pizza parties and annual awards ceremonies up in this *****. shoot them fools a text once a week to see who's flaking and get back to business