mask at third

bamaballer

Part Time Player
I was at a friends game last night and that got a league rule that your pitcher and third baseman must where a mask need some input on thishow many people wear a mask in the in feild

Last edited:

rommel51

VP of Jock Strap cleaning
What kinda imput? If its a rule, its a rule. If you dont like it, dont play. They may as well use a screen too.

jsam21238

Addicted to Softballfans
I think mandated mask wearing is dumb. If they want to protect the pitchers that badly then need to put up a screen. If I'm playing third, I'm not wearing a mask.

p17

SBFs 16th all time poster
If it's a rule, follow it. It is for safety. If you don't like it, leave. I've seen pitchers get hit, and a couple years ago I had to watch my good friend and 3B get hit in the face, spend a week in two different hospitals, and have several surgeries over the course of 8 months. He always wears a mask now

Meskin24

those arent pecks
I am going to start playing third this year and I got a fielders mask for third. I dont care how it looks. Safety first to me. I agree that it shouldnt be mandated though. Its should be up to the individual.

bamaballer

Part Time Player
I don't mind wearing the mask just really wondering how many people wear a mask in the infeild other than the pitcher

bird25

34/30 Club #25
If it's a rule, follow it. It is for safety. If you don't like it, leave. I've seen pitchers get hit, and a couple years ago I had to watch my good friend and 3B get hit in the face, spend a week in two different hospitals, and have several surgeries over the course of 8 months. He always wears a mask now

Yep.

Worst injury I ever saw in person was our 3rd baseman take a knuckling line drive off the bridge of the nose. never knew there was that much blood there.

I am always fearful of the bad hop at third on the fields we are on.

dblej22

Addicted to Softballfans
I bought one to play 3rd when I came in from the OF til I got used to the hot shot. Now I only use it when I pitch.

gregbishere

Shutup just Shutup
I'd imagine somebody was hit at 3rd or P and caused a problem for the league and this was the easiest way to protect themselves. I think it is stupid to mandate this as a rule though.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
Why make one corner infielder wear a mask but not the other? Does this league also have a rule that you can only bat right-handed?

One of the worst injuries I ever saw was at third. We had this guy on our team that wasn't very experienced and was kind of awkward with the glove, so we always stuck him in the outfield. One day he starts making a big stink about having to always play the outfield and fairly demands to play the infield. Okay...we stick him at third.

First ball hit to him is a laser one-hopper (this was twenty years ago, so the "hot" bat being used was a gold TPS, plus we used a rock-hard ball). The ball skips and nails him square on the chin. Broke his jaw in three places- right in the middle, plus on both sides. The bottom half of the guy's face was just kind of hanging there with blood gushing out of his mouth.

But still...facemasks are a legal piece of equipment and any fielder that wishes to wear one is free to do so. The players are (allegedly) responsible adults who should understand the risks involved with playing a sport. I don't think that a mask should be mandated, nor would I fault anybody who wants to wear one.

broy7

Triple Double No Assists
I wear one at third when I play on tough fields or at night. Could care less what people think

timyoung

Panda Smash!
I took a bad bounce off one of our fields playing 1st and my eye swelled shut almost immediately (lefty batter). Since then I've worn my pitching mask playing 3rd, 2nd, and 1st since then. I've gotten a lot of weird looks but honestly safety first. If it's a league rule, roll with it. A mask is cheaper than stitches, xrays, mri's, new chicklets, etc...

peterb69

Addicted to Softballfans
I had 31 stitches put in under my left eye from a bad hop grounder. Plastic Surgeon had to put them in.

And I will still not wear a mask at 3b. Nor will I wear a helmet riding a bike. Just to old school I guess.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
so 3rd needs a mask but 1st does not ? hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

i suppose they figure the 1st baseman generally plays a bit deeper than 3rd, and only 10% of the population are leftys. The chances are much lower...not many rightys hit knuckle ball line drives to first, it just can't happen.

MURDA7

Death By VOLT.....!!
I was at a friends game last night and that got a league rule that your pitcher and third baseman must where a mask need some input on thishow many people wear a mask in the in feild

I have seen some pretty UGLY face wrecks in the last couple years, and they are not fun...!! One of them was my good buddy and he didnt even have a chance at the ball. Ball was smoked down the 3B line and thing just hopped up and he had no chance to react..All types of surgeries, metal plates...!!..Scary **** right there....!! Another buddy of mine was playing SS and he went down to field the ball and all I heard was POW...!! I took one look and his nose was by his ear....:eek:..!! They are both still out there and now wear masks...!!!

truman001

Addicted to Softballfans
Yeah I took one off the nose two years ago. Average ground ball hit to my left at short. Easy take it your self double play. I look up at the runner running to second bend down to field the ball and pop! Bad hop right off the bridge of my nose. After surgery, and over a thousand in bills I wear a mask. Some guys give me a hard time, but I really don't care.

slippuller49

Addicted to Softballfans
If some one wants to wear a mask I'm totally cool with it... If the league makes it a rule I'm cool with the too...

dgambill85

Banned User
OP, please, oh please, learn the English language. Also, field is spelled correctly here. The i before e except after C is completely in effect here. Punctuation is your friend here as well. Now on to the actual post itself. If you don't like the rule then leave the league. There's nothing you can do. I will say the Combat Faceoff is probably the best bet for infield because it does not inhibit your vision. The Worth Mask is nice for pitching.

schlegdog13

Addicted to Softballfans
I bought one for third this year after a tourney on a terrible field where I almost lost my melon 3x's...Yet to wear it though...Have worn a mouthpiece for years, like my teeth where they are at...

OldManThreeNuts

Catching and batting last
OP, please, oh please, learn the English language. Also, field is spelled correctly here. The i before e except after C is completely in effect here. Punctuation is your friend here as well. Now on to the actual post itself. If you don't like the rule then leave the league. There's nothing you can do. I will say the Combat Faceoff is probably the best bet for infield because it does not inhibit your vision. The Worth Mask is nice for pitching.
HOLY SENTENCE FRAGMENTS, BATMAN!
Don't throw stones.

I noticed a third baseman that put a mask on whenever I came up and I was flattered. Then I realised that there are people that hit harder than I do and I also play third base, so I bought a mask.

dgambill85

Banned User
HOLY SENTENCE FRAGMENTS, BATMAN!
Don't throw stones.

I noticed a third baseman that put a mask on whenever I came up and I was flattered. Then I realised that there are people that hit harder than I do and I also play third base, so I bought a mask.

I saw one mess up where I should have used a coma(sp??) instead of a period. OP didn't even try.

I saw our P unconscious on the field and that's when I decided to gear up as a pitcher. I don't go out there without a mask, shin guards, and I'm looking for a chest protector.

DB15

Starting Player
I dont know what yall are talking about... I've been known to wear a mask in left field... Especially when folks are swing sticks that sound like baby shotguns..:D

sleak112

Coach
Played a tourney that some upper division guys sneaked in somehow. By upper division I mean 2 or 3 guys that get paid to play softball. Playing third was F'ng scary when those guys were up. I think most rec leagues and most open tourneys you won't have much problem if you are sorta athletic and can use your glove. But these guys I saw last saturday made me rethink playing infield period.