Mask help

JDM215

Addicted to Softballfans
Anybody have any reviews on the Defender sports shield and the Sklz field shield?

web gem

Addicted to Softballfans
I've tested out quite a few fielders masks, trying to find one I was comfortable enough with to actually use on the field. All of the plastic ones I tried, including Combat's FaceOff (which is widely considered the best plastic one) were just too noticeable and distracting. The wire framed ones were easier for me to play with, and maintained adequate vision. The Rip-it seemed to be the standard, so I started there. It was good, but the chin pad comes off and thats a little annoying. The Schutt mask felt more comfortable, and the chin pad seems to be attached better. Its the first mask that I've been really comfortable wearing, to the point that I don't think it negatively impacted my defense. I almost bought the titanium model for the weight advantage, but after trying on the standard one I didn't think it needed to be any lighter. Its barely noticeable. Just my $.02

DMob29

Addicted to Softballfans
Ya, I'm in the market as well for a new mask. I tried on the Sklz mask and the first thing I noticed was the the bottom part of the mask sticks way out and compared to the forehead and it drastically narrows the field of vision making it very distracting. The Schutt that web-gem mentions above seems to do the same, but is wire not plastic. Been looking at the Rip-It and that is a simple, one cross wire and also seems even with the forehead... gonna try that one next.

gsus03

Banned User
I personally tried on a bunch of different masks including the combat face off and the rip it...finally decided on the worth fielding mask for $30...i figured it was better than nothing especially since i hate the dentist and I am ugly enough as it is...I rarely pitch but do play a lot of middle infield and see my fair share of bad hops...took a while to get used to, wore it as much as I could so i would be used to it during tournaments...played with it this last weekend and felt good at 2b and ss...don't know if OP is using it for pitching or fielding or both, but it seems to work well for me...one nice thing about the combat mask is the chin piece moves as you talk good for communicating to other players while wearing it

crdawg2521

PowerTek Performance Apparel & Lizard Skins Rep.
Anybody have any reviews on the Defender sports shield and the Sklz field shield?

I used to rep the Defender a few years ago and it's a decent mask but doesn't give any protection on the top of the head. Lightweight and took a beating without any issues.

I don't know if Rodney is still in business or not but here is his website

http://www.defendersportshields.com/order.htm

colors_01.jpg

web gem

Addicted to Softballfans
Will be using it for pitching

In that case, forget what I said. I figured you were looking for a mask to wear while playing infield.

Get the Worth Pitching Mask, its pretty much the only product on the market designed for pitching in slow pitch, and they're reasonably affordable. You definitely want something that protects your head as well as your face.

rkjunior

Laser show, RELAX.
+1 for the faceoff here too. .if i'm getting blasted in the side or the top of the head, there's something wrong.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
I tried a couple on and found the cheapest (champro) actually fit me the best but I have a big block head so results may vary. It is a metal wire type similar to the rip it and has a good field of view but it still takes some adjusting too. Gives me more confidence to get down on grounders but it's tougher to track the ball. I use it during bp now trying to get used to it cause I want to use it this year, there are several other strips in front of the rubber on the fields in one of my leagues which makes the grounders a little more exciting than they should be.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
I can't believe those bars don't mess with your vision while fielding. That's the biggest issue I have with a mask, I'm safe from a face hit but less likely to field the ball cleanly due to tracking the ball and my mask is pretty open. I might be a weirdo also cause I only bat and golf in M frames otherwise the sunglass frames get in my way.

MBplayer

Canadian Bat *****
Worth pitchers helmet all the way. I will be using one this year for the first time. So far I have only used it around the yard with the kids and walking around trying to get used to it but it is lightweight, and vision is very good!

MB:cool:

Deuce#2

Addicted to Softballfans
you actually dont notice the bars all that much once you get used to wearing it, if it was an issue, you could always modify the cage a little bit to open it up

kaerey

Addicted to Softballfans
Oldie but hopefully still good link full of info in my signature.

I love my Worth Pitchers Mask.