Mid/high end glove comparisons/advice

Softball.com:

BryonR41

I'm looking to buy a new glove. I pitch, play middle/2nd usually, occasionally at the corners. I'm currently using an akadema Torino 12.75." I know I don't want anything bigger than that. I'm looking at 12.5" higher end gloves, Wilson a2000, Rawlings HOH, Vinci, or comparable mizuno (I know very little about the Vinci and mizuno gloves). I'm looking for something with a little more protection at the base of the index finger than my akadema. Any advice on comfort, pocket size, leather quality/durability, etc. (break in time doesn't matter to me, no issues working on a glove and getting it game ready....not a huge rush to use immediately). Thanks in advance!

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
IMO, fit is really important. What size batting glove do you wear and do you prefer a snugger fit for your glove or don't you care so much about that?

BryonR41

Actually I was going to post that but thought I was reading too much into it. I wear a L/XL batting glove, i like a glove to fit more snug, usually adjust the wrist to its tightest setting whenever I buy a new glove. I do not wear a batting glove underneath my fielding glove.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
In the Rawlings' world, the 504 is the obvious 12.5" choice. It has a wider and deeper pocket than most gloves, but it might work well if you tighten the wrist strap.... sadly, they are not a stock model. SBF did a special run of Pro Preferred 504s, but they are listed at $350 (you get a better deal as a forum member).
SBF also recently did a special run of 12.5" Wilson A2000 SP125, but they are sold out and have been going for $250 on the bay.

Basically, 12.5" is an uncommon size in higher end baseball gloves because baseball infielders use 11"-12" and outfielders use 12.75" or even 13" gloves.

Felks32

Addicted to Softballfans
Several members on here seem to prefer the JD pattern over the 504, and the JD is available at retail in PROJD-6BUB. Might be worth a shot.

pkc31887

Addicted to Softballfans
another option would be switching to two fingers in the pinky moving your index finger into the middle finger slot. would reduce a lot of those stings on the index finger. but the 504 and projd are both really good options. hopefully, chad does another run of the sp125's because that model is perfect in my opinion.

jethrodub

Coach
another option would be switching to two fingers in the pinky moving your index finger into the middle finger slot. would reduce a lot of those stings on the index finger. but the 504 and projd are both really good options. hopefully, chad does another run of the sp125's because that model is perfect in my opinion.

I am in the same boat in hoping that another SP125 is made. I was going to start a new thread to see what people would most want to see for a color if a new SP125 was done. I think Chad would need something like 75 pre-orders to make this happen. I would love to see a saddle tan SP125 with patches instead of the stitched logos and black A2000 stitching, but that's just me.

To the OP, if another SP 125 was done, I would 100% recommend getting in on it. I think the 504 is also a great choice. I wear M/L batting gloves and also prefer a snug fit. With the wrist set to the tightest setting I don't have any issue with it. I also have a custom PRO302 in a 12.5" and it is awesome. Fits like the SP125, but plays a little wider.

Soxfan8

Starting Player
Agree, custom 504 through Chad would be my advice. If you don't want to wait around for a custom - then look into a JD or a 303 as has been suggested above.

People seem to like the SP125, but you're going to be waiting around unless you go for a re-sold one. In addition, I wear XL batting gloves and my SP125 was really uncomfortable - to the point to where I didn't bother trying to break it in (could have just been my copy of the glove). Great glove, great concept to get input from the forum, just didn't work for me personally.

If you're talking high-end 12.5'' Mizuno patterns, not sure there is anything available at present. At 12.75'' you're in GMP700 territory. Great glove, but perhaps not what you're looking for at middle infield.

No idea about Vinci.

I'm looking to buy a new glove. I pitch, play middle/2nd usually, occasionally at the corners. I'm currently using an akadema Torino 12.75." I know I don't want anything bigger than that. I'm looking at 12.5" higher end gloves, Wilson a2000, Rawlings HOH, Vinci, or comparable mizuno (I know very little about the Vinci and mizuno gloves). I'm looking for something with a little more protection at the base of the index finger than my akadema. Any advice on comfort, pocket size, leather quality/durability, etc. (break in time doesn't matter to me, no issues working on a glove and getting it game ready....not a huge rush to use immediately). Thanks in advance!

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
When they have padding, most glove have an extra layer of leather inside to act as padding. However, they don't absorb much of the impact. A few makers (Vinci is one) use a Vinyl/foam pad, but they don't hold up. When I add a palm pad to a glove, I use 1/8" industrial wool and that seems to work better, but I don't know of any maker that uses that.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
Vinci went to a leather palm pad in their limited line little over a year ago, not sure about their other lines.

Vinci's BMB pattern is listed as a 13" but it's more of a 12.5" in my experience, deep and wide pocket great utility softball pattern IMO.
Rawlings 303 is also a 12.5" in my experience so take that for what it's worth, another great softball utility option in HOH.

Either will work well for what you are looking for, Vinci will be a little bit lighter and probably less $, Rawlings will be a little heavier and probably more $

David the Gnome

The Veteran
When they have padding, most glove have an extra layer of leather inside to act as padding. However, they don't absorb much of the impact. A few makers (Vinci is one) use a Vinyl/foam pad, but they don't hold up. When I add a palm pad to a glove, I use 1/8" industrial wool and that seems to work better, but I don't know of any maker that uses that.
That's what they use for catcher's mitts. It works for a while but it will inevitably break down over time. Of course, it should take a much longer time for that to happen on a fielding glove than it would on a catcher's mitt where you're catching 80+mph fast balls over and over again.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Here is a question for the OP. Many, if not most, gloves are actually a bit smaller than listed. If your Akadema is stamped 12.75" but actually measures 12.5" and you think it is a bit big, then a 12.5" glove that measures 12.25" might be what you are actually looking for.

Also, proportions matter. A 12.75" glove that is long and narrow might make for a great infield glove, but one that measures the same with a deeper palm and shorter fingers might work well. A Mizuno GGE71VBK is 12.75", but is shaped more like an infield glove. This is why I so wish more stores still stocked more high quality gloves. It is hard to sort all this out online.

Felks32

Addicted to Softballfans
Here's a comparison pic for you. L-R Rawlings Custom HOH PRO3029, Wilson A2000 SP125, Rawlings HOH PRO303-6BDS, not sure if it helps.

huntaholic21

Addicted to Softballfans
I am in the same boat in hoping that another SP125 is made. I was going to start a new thread to see what people would most want to see for a color if a new SP125 was done. I think Chad would need something like 75 pre-orders to make this happen. I would love to see a saddle tan SP125 with patches instead of the stitched logos and black A2000 stitching, but that's just me.

To the OP, if another SP 125 was done, I would 100% recommend getting in on it. I think the 504 is also a great choice. I wear M/L batting gloves and also prefer a snug fit. With the wrist set to the tightest setting I don't have any issue with it. I also have a custom PRO302 in a 12.5" and it is awesome. Fits like the SP125, but plays a little wider.

I am with you on the saddle tan sp125.

huntaholic21

Addicted to Softballfans
I don't have any need for a 12.5" glove but I am with you on the saddle tan.

Ya crappy part is Chad brought it up on Instagram and half the people who chimed in said "don't make another one",
And the other half said "make another with orange tan". What a joke.

BryonR41

Here is a question for the OP. Many, if not most, gloves are actually a bit smaller than listed. If your Akadema is stamped 12.75" but actually measures 12.5" and you think it is a bit big, then a 12.5" glove that measures 12.25" might be what you are actually looking for.

Also, proportions matter. A 12.75" glove that is long and narrow might make for a great infield glove, but one that measures the same with a deeper palm and shorter fingers might work well. A Mizuno GGE71VBK is 12.75", but is shaped more like an infield glove. This is why I so wish more stores still stocked more high quality gloves. It is hard to sort all this out online.

First of all, thanks you All for all responses, much appreciated and at least now I have a direction on where to start looking (if I don't go custom). I would say my 12.75 akadema is a bit too big. So yes a glove that measures 12.25 is probably where I need to start looking. I think I would prefer a deeper pocket/shorter fingers. Like you said Rous, I would much rather get my hand on these gloves, but the stores have so few options...Let the search begin.

jethrodub

Coach
Ya crappy part is Chad brought it up on Instagram and half the people who chimed in said "don't make another one",
And the other half said "make another with orange tan". What a joke.
Ya im not sure why we would want to do OT again. And I have absolutely no doubt the pattern was popular enough to sell out again very very quickly.

moren025

Addicted to Softballfans
Will I didn't take long to decide, went with this glove...

http://forums.softballfans.com/threads/rawlings-pro1000-pro-department-12-25-230.1440393/

Working on some couch catch and breaking it in, so far I'm happy with the purchase. Thanks again everyone

Good, someone who is going to put it in play. I had told Howard if it didn't move as I'm waiting for an account to pay their overdue bill, I would have made an offer for a long toss glove because it's so damn beautiful.

Emperor

Star Player
Several members on here seem to prefer the JD pattern over the 504, and the JD is available at retail in PROJD-6BUB. Might be worth a shot.

I've had some experience with the JD and its a real mixed bag on the fit of each. Most that I've had pass by me have a "squished" feel, as if the leather had been sat on by an elephant for days on end, and has a weird off-angle feel to it. I'm not sure I'm describing it well, but of the 4 I've put on my hand, none of them looked or fit like a baseball/softball glove should. To Rous's point, if you can find a 504, go with that.

eviladams

All hail Megatron.....
I've had some experience with the JD and its a real mixed bag on the fit of each. Most that I've had pass by me have a "squished" feel, as if the leather had been sat on by an elephant for days on end, and has a weird off-angle feel to it. I'm not sure I'm describing it well, but of the 4 I've put on my hand, none of them looked or fit like a baseball/softball glove should. To Rous's point, if you can find a 504, go with that.

I have one and literally none of what you said applies to mine.

pkc31887

Addicted to Softballfans

I had a very similar experience with the PROJD-6BUB. The pattern just felt odd for some reason. I didnt know how to describe it but it deterred me from purchasing one.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
I had a very similar experience with the PROJD-6BUB. The pattern just felt odd for some reason. I didnt know how to describe it but it deterred me from purchasing one.

The ProJD is one of Rawlings oldest surviving patterns. Originally part of the "SG" line, it's been around since the mid-1990s. Even though glove patterns have been evolving for over 100 years, it blows my mind how much patterns have changed/improved even over the last 20 years.

bigmac25

Extra Hitter
That's what they use for catcher's mitts. It works for a while but it will inevitably break down over time. Of course, it should take a much longer time for that to happen on a fielding glove than it would on a catcher's mitt where you're catching 80+mph fast balls over and over again.
Stupid question...
My gamer is a CMHCB2 2012 Horween Rawlings and that line had that stupid (imo) poron XD pad.
I LOVE the glove bc the leather is fantastic and is the only time that a modern version of that pattern has been released with horween BUT that palm pad does nothing but drive me nuts.
Someone on here once suggested I have it removed but when I was thinking about it the thought occurred to me.....
How do you take it out without ruining the lining in the hand stall?
Can that even be done?
Sorry, as its off topic - but you seem to know your palm pads lol

David the Gnome

The Veteran
Stupid question...
My gamer is a CMHCB2 2012 Horween Rawlings and that line had that stupid (imo) poron XD pad.
I LOVE the glove bc the leather is fantastic and is the only time that a modern version of that pattern has been released with horween BUT that palm pad does nothing but drive me nuts.
Someone on here once suggested I have it removed but when I was thinking about it the thought occurred to me.....
Can that even be done?
Rous and Dan are probably better to answer your question. I've never had one of those open but if it's like my little 9.5" training glove the XRD pad is sewn in. You could remove it with a thread cutter but there's probably nothing underneath it to protect your palm.

Annoying or no, I'd leave it if it were me.

bigmac25

Extra Hitter
Rous and Dan are probably better to answer your question. I've never had one of those open but if it's like my little 9.5" training glove the XRD pad is sewn in. You could remove it with a thread cutter but there's probably nothing underneath it to protect your palm.

Annoying or no, I'd leave it if it were me.
Thanks sir!!

davisrelacing

The Other Guy
Stupid question...
Can that even be done?

The Poron XRD palm pad disintegrates quickly with use. Give it time and it will end up all over inside your glove. If you want to remove it, don't mind the thread, it can just be ripped right out from the inside.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
The Poron XRD palm pad disintegrates quickly with use. Give it time and it will end up all over inside your glove. If you want to remove it, don't mind the thread, it can just be ripped right out from the inside.

Yep.