Middle infield glove suggestions (softball)

Shag

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm moving from outfield/3B to middle infield, and would like to get a new glove more suited to the task (currently using a ~15yr old 13" mizuno :wtf2:). Obviously, I'm not a glove *****, but would like to get a good quality glove in the 12-12.25" range, suitable for middle infield (primarily 2B).

I've been reading through threads, but a lot of recommendations seem to be for gloves no longer on the market. Looking for something that I can buy new, and break in myself.

I have no idea about web patterns, so open to input there, as well.

Suggestions?

fuzzai

Starting Player
The Wilson a2000 1781 is what I'm using at second.
12.25" glove. I find its just deep enough to build a perfect pocket for a softball.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
How do you close your glove? The 1781 will prefer close thumb to ring finger while a NP5 will close more thumb to middle finger (although either can be trained to close the other way, but better to start with one that works). SS on my team just picked up a NP5TLB, but we haven't played since it arrived.

Here is how Belts coses his (yikes, thumb to index!)

Adrian-Beltre-glove-shot.jpg

Last edited:

A Cy 617

Dad, Fire fighter, bat flipper.
If you like Wilson, the 1781 for a smaller glove, or the XLC for a bigger glove.

If you like Rawlings, the pro200/1000 for smaller gloves, or the pro504/pro303 for a bigger glove.

In my experiences, I think wilson has the better patterns, and more of a comfortable glove. While Rawlings has a higher quality and more durable leather.

Id recommend the 1781, they can be had for cheap. I just got a retail one and I love the pocket on it! Itll get thrown to the side the second my custom pro504 comes in tho..

eviladams

All hail Megatron.....
How do you close your glove? The 1781 will prefer close thumb to ring finger while a NP5 will close more thumb to middle finger (although either can be trained to close the other way, but better to start with one that works). SS on my team just picked up a NP5TLB, but we haven't played since it arrived.

I dunked mine and was able to beat it into submission. Closes how I wanted it to.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Rawlings sizes can create some confusion. The PRO200 is typically a 11.5" pattern, but is sometimes found in 11.75" or 12" sizes. The PRO1000 is generally listed as 12", but there are 12.25" versions (the PRO1000 is not constantly being made though). Same goes for the NP5 which is an 11.75" glove, although the Beltre version is 12" and a few 12.25" versions have shown up from time to time (although called a NP1225).

THere is a retailer that gets in special make-ups of 12" PRO1000s from time to time with a new batch due in August.

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
From the Vinci line RV1923-22 or the new RV1250 Limited kip, both 12.5" h webs w a nice pocket. I dont think many haveseen the new glove, its all new and very nice. Lemon (some number after) has a slightly used for sale, hit him up. Not sure if SBFs has the kip glove but they sell the RV1923-22 hit them up.

The I web is the same body as the RV1250

oveezy

Addicted to Softballfans
The Beltre pronp5tlb is the real deal. It's a 12" glove, deep pocket. I use it at 3rd. I love this glove. I have used some other high end gloves and none have felt better. I'm not saying they are not good, but they don't feel better to me. The DW5 Wilson a2000 is a glove that I did like I have the superskin in black and gray. It's a sweet glove... there is a nice looking nike glove for almost half price. Go the auction site but add an ast after the first letter.

Captain10

E skills playing D Ball
I will also echo the 1781 pattern. I game a PI but just sold a retail model and they seem to be super popular among slowpitch infielders. I also have a custom 12.25 rawlings pro1000 that i am in the midst of breaking in. Still remains to be seen if it will deep/wide enough. The next pattern I will be trying is a custom 504. Custom 504s scare me though because it seems their measurements are very inconsistent. Seen them measure 12.25 or almost 13". Apparently its quite a crap shoot.

Captain10

E skills playing D Ball
Rawlings sizes can create some confusion. The PRO200 is typically a 11.5" pattern, but is sometimes found in 11.75" or 12" sizes. The PRO1000 is generally listed as 12", but there are 12.25" versions (the PRO1000 is not constantly being made though). Same goes for the NP5 which is an 11.75" glove, although the Beltre version is 12" and a few 12.25" versions have shown up from time to time (although called a NP1225).

THere is a retailer that gets in special make-ups of 12" PRO1000s from time to time with a new batch due in August.

Has there been any new info on this? Believe they should be getting rv23s as well right?

Shag

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks for all the input - still going over all the mentioned options. Does the 1781 only come in black at retail? Never been a big fan of black gloves.

What's the opinion of the Nokona WB-1200H?

Are there particular retailers that are best for purchasing?

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans

I really hope he doesn't do that and he's just pushing on him and his glove happened to fold over that way. It makes me cringe to see gloves close like that.

To the OP, my vote goes for the Vinci JD-73. I've had 2 of them and absolutely loved them.

dford42

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks for all the input - still going over all the mentioned options. Does the 1781 only come in black at retail? Never been a big fan of black gloves.

What's the opinion of the Nokona WB-1200H?

Are there particular retailers that are best for purchasing?

Retail Wilson 1781 only comes in black. You can get a custom one however.

The Nokona 1200 series gloves typically measure smaller then 12" according to Rous but the Nokona 11.75" gloves typically run 12". Im sure Jeff will chime in if thats not correct.

Id check with SBF first for pricing, but there are plenty of good retailers out there. Youll find different deals on different sites. Just depends if you can find the glove you are looking for.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Remember, I measure everything smaller than anyone else. I think the 12" Nokona WB1200/AL1200 are better suited to softball thatn the 1.75" pattern. I think the 1175 might feel a bit longer, but the 1200 is deeper and wider. I do prefer the AL leather to the WB because it is lighter and stiffer, but I don't think that one is available as an H web. The 1200 is very similar to the 12" PRO1000 in pattern.

That is pretty much how he closes his glove. If only he closed it thumb to pinkie he might make something of himself in the league!
beltre-300x232.jpg

Yes, the RV23 and the PRO1000 should come in at the same time. August is last I heard.

Stock 1781 only comes in black that I have seen.

NYC

Swag on 100.
I really hope he doesn't do that and he's just pushing on him and his glove happened to fold over that way. It makes me cringe to see gloves close like that.

To the OP, my vote goes for the Vinci JD-73. I've had 2 of them and absolutely loved them.

Most infielders I've seen close it that way. I close my infielders glove like that, thumb to middle or index. I just form the break point along the V on the heel. Its more comfortable fielding grounds that way.

huntaholic21

Addicted to Softballfans
Most infielders I've seen close it that way. I close my infielders glove like that, thumb to middle or index. I just form the break point along the V on the heel. Its more comfortable fielding grounds that way.

Just goes to show how much personal preference goes into it. I want to puke when I pick up a glove broke in thumb to pinky. I could easily adapt to thumb to index.

NYC

Swag on 100.
Just goes to show how much personal preference goes into it. I want to puke when I pick up a glove broke in thumb to pinky. I could easily adapt to thumb to index.

thumb to pinky seems to be more popular with outfielders, I guess you have a bigger overall pocket that way. most infielders go thumb to middle or index. my prodj2 seems to be designed for thumb to middle or index.

4591a_lg.jpeg

derek-jeter4-540x360.jpg

attachment.php

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
I am convinced that the reason everyone feels the need for a palm pad these days is that thumb to pinkie break puts the base of your index finger as the point of impact, rather than the pocket/web base.

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
I am convinced that the reason everyone feels the need for a palm pad these days is that thumb to pinkie break puts the base of your index finger as the point of impact, rather than the pocket/web base.

I am also, I remember the old three finger trapper gloves where you have no fingers at all in the middle, thats the way IF should catch the ball not thumb to index, there is no pocket that way.

NYC

Swag on 100.
I am also, I remember the old three finger trapper gloves where you have no fingers at all in the middle, thats the way IF should catch the ball not thumb to index, there is no pocket that way.

I don't know man, almost every MLB infielders gloves Ive seen seem to be broken in thumb to middle or thumb to index. Maybe it has something to do with laying the glove flat on the ground for a ground ball, and it forms a more shallow pocket which is how infielders like their gloves. Keep in mind the majority of their catches are on grounders. It still forms a good enough pocket for me to catch fly balls with, but to be sure I use both hands as do the pros on popups.

ns09

Addicted to Softballfans
Have you thought about Mizuno's? If I used the same glove for 15 years would be hard to look elsewhere.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
^^^^^^^ Yep, any of the Mizuno 12" pitcher's models (e.g. GGE10) make for good infield gloves. Actually, so do the 12" Louisville Slugger Pro Flares. In both cases though, hard to find without a basket web.

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
^^^^^^^ Yep, any of the Mizuno 12" pitcher's models (e.g. GGE10) make for good infield gloves. Actually, so do the 12" Louisville Slugger Pro Flares. In both cases though, hard to find without a basket web.

Well in a strange twist of fate I may be playing some IF, perhaps SS. I have a 12" Vinci RV5700-22 H web, I may try. I have used it in the OF, was a tad small. I also have a RV1923-22 but its not game ready, along with a RV1250.
Both 12.5" H webs the RV1923-22, steerhide just like the 12" RV5700-22, while the RV5700 is Limited kip. I dont have any other brand in a smaller glove other than 11.5" I webs which are way too smail.
I never played much IF but in Senior you get moved around and being younger than some teamates I may play there, went about 8 inning there Sunday w a 13" BM-M 13" OTIMUS, IT FELT TWO BIG (ON THE BALLS i DID NOT BOOT, lol)
What do yous guys think? Anyone wanna lend me a glove, have a game Saturday :eek::confused:

Wood has my JD73 and is a little ***** and wont let me use it!

Shag

Addicted to Softballfans
So many options! Unfortunately, many of the listed seem to be unavailable at retail, and not sure I want to drop the coin for a custom before really knowing what I like. At this point, I think I'm down to a retail 1781 or pronp5tlb. Unfortunately, I'm not having luck finding either locally (Minneapolis/St. Paul). How would you guys compare these two models?

My current glove closes thumb to middle, FYI (assuming that's measured at the tips).

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
What size batting glove do you wear? NP5 has a bigger hand stall.

ebay: 251941430375
Yes, it has a basket web, but 1) it is one of the wider webs Rawlings has and 2) you can always later get a replacement H-web for it.

Same basic glove, but with a mod trap. Mod trap plays shallower/narrower than the basket, but is not a basket.

Either the 1781 or the NP5 can be mad eto close like you like, but I think the PRO1000 is a perfect compromise.

Shag

Addicted to Softballfans
What size batting glove do you wear? NP5 has a bigger hand stall.

ebay: 251941430375
Yes, it has a basket web, but 1) it is one of the wider webs Rawlings has and 2) you can always later get a replacement H-web for it.

Same basic glove, but with a mod trap. Mod trap plays shallower/narrower than the basket, but is not a basket.

Either the 1781 or the NP5 can be mad eto close like you like, but I think the PRO1000 is a perfect compromise.

I wear XL batting gloves. Why do you prefer the PRO1000 over the other two mentioned? How do they close differently?

If it helps, here's how my current glove is broken in:
6S7SMnb.jpg

Last edited:

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
So many options! Unfortunately, many of the listed seem to be unavailable at retail, and not sure I want to drop the coin for a custom before really knowing what I like. At this point, I think I'm down to a retail 1781 or pronp5tlb. Unfortunately, I'm not having luck finding either locally (Minneapolis/St. Paul). How would you guys compare these two models?

My current glove closes thumb to middle, FYI (assuming that's measured at the tips).

You already try Baseball 365 or both General Sports? Neither look like they have either model according to their websites, but they should have other quality options to try out in person.

MaverickAH

I think that it's due to the quality of the leather these days. No more free range, more mature cattle being brought to slaughter. Their hides were thicker & tougher lessening the need for any additional padding. With the way most cattle is being raised in pens & being brought to slaughter at an earlier age, the leather is not as robust.

Of course there's a pocket! It's thumb to pinkie for me. I've talked about this many times before. If you catch a ball barehanded, your hand is going to be in a thumb to pinkie position with your index finger as the stabilizer. I want my glove to simulate that same natural position. It feel that it works best.