Other Middle School FP

orlando

Addicted to Softballfans
Illegal pitched called before my DD hits a grounder that's fair, delayed dead ball but do the runners on 1st and 2nd move up?

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
If the batter safely reaches first base and all runners advance one base as a result of the play, then the illegal pitch is cancelled. All play stands and there is no further penalty.

If the batter and all runners do not advance at least one base, then the offensive coach has the option of either the result of the play or to enforce the illegal pitch penalty. The penalty is a ball added to the batter's count and any runners on base are advanced one base.

orlando

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks, she did get the extra ball but the runners did not advance. We just moved up from 10u where IP is hardly ever called.

MaverickAH

If the batter safely reaches first base and all runners advance one base as a result of the play, then the illegal pitch is cancelled. All play stands and there is no further penalty.

If the batter and all runners do not advance at least one base, then the offensive coach has the option of either the result of the play or to enforce the illegal pitch penalty. The penalty is a ball added to the batter's count and any runners on base are advanced one base.

That penalty is ASA. If they're going by LL Rules, the only penalty is either a ball on the batter or, if the ball was put in play, no penalty if the batter & any runners advance one base & the offensive team elects to take the result of the play. If there are runners on base & no play, it's just a ball on the batter & base runners do not advance.

So the answer depends on the rule set. Most middle school I know of usually go by LL Rules.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
That penalty is ASA. If they're going by LL Rules, the only penalty is either a ball on the batter or, if the ball was put in play, no penalty if the batter & any runners advance one base & the offensive team elects to take the result of the play. If there are runners on base & no play, it's just a ball on the batter & base runners do not advance.

So the answer depends on the rule set. Most middle school I know of usually go by LL Rules.

That seems strange to me because I have never heard of a middle school using Little League rules. Must be a regional thing. Our state uses high school (NFHS) rules with a few modifications. I've also heard of a few states that are ASA-based.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired

New York is kind of an oddball state when it comes to school ball. Most states that I know of use NFHS (National Federation of State High School Associations), even for middle school. However, numerous sections of NY, for whatever reason, decided not to go with NFHS. Some areas even use ASA for their high schools.

If this were NFHS, the penalty would be the same - ball called on the batter, all runners advance one base.

MaverickAH

New York is kind of an oddball state when it comes to school ball. Most states that I know of use NFHS (National Federation of State High School Associations), even for middle school. However, numerous sections of NY, for whatever reason, decided not to go with NFHS. Some areas even use ASA for their high schools.

If this were NFHS, the penalty would be the same - ball called on the batter, all runners advance one base.

Yes, NFHS is the same as ASA.

When I hear, "middle school", I think Jr. H.S. which, for here, is normally grades 6-8. Normally, leagues for this age group go with the LL rule set esp. for 12U & under although I do know of some that go with ASA or NFHS.

I do know that here, in NYC (can't speak for the rest of the state), you will NEVER see team athletic activity at the JHS level outside of maybe T&F. It's all league, AAU & LL.

pob14

Addicted to Softballfans
Illinois, for the record, uses NFHS rules and high school licensed umpires for middle school/junior high ball. That's why we play junior high ball in the fall; it's all the same umpires.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
The only modification PIAA seems to have around here for middle school is that the umpires work solo instead of standard 2-man in the HS.