Miken Freak Black ASA review

BOLTMAN21

Manager
Got mine in today. Came .5 over just like I expected and hoped. Can feel the endload. Hit it with a ball mallet and it jumps off the barrel. Will update after I put some tee work and BP on it.

B-radical

Addicted to Softballfans
Got mine in today. Came .5 over just like I expected and hoped. Can feel the endload. Hit it with a ball mallet and it jumps off the barrel. Will update after I put some tee work and BP on it.

You done yet? Come on dude, spill the beans!!!!!

I haven't really looked too hard at anything new, I mean I've looked, but this time last year I had my 5 bats on order.....lol.

The reason is, I have an eerie feeling our league is going utrip.......last fall, the 2 lower divisions used ASA bats, and the 2 upper divisions got to use utrip bats for the first time as a "trial"

BOLTMAN21

Manager
You done yet? Come on dude, spill the beans!!!!!

I haven't really looked too hard at anything new, I mean I've looked, but this time last year I had my 5 bats on order.....lol.

The reason is, I have an eerie feeling our league is going utrip.......last fall, the 2 lower divisions used ASA bats, and the 2 upper divisions got to use utrip bats for the first time as a "trial"

What's up Brad!?
This thing feels and looks nice in the hands. Can't wait to hit the field. Heard some great things about this bat from board bro's. Juggy has been working fine but the bat addict and inner Miken loyalist in me needed to see what's up with the new Miken line.
From what I have read and seen locally it sounds like you need to get a DC41 if your league is going utrip. Would not be hard to move it if they stay ASA. :thumb:

I will come back and post my opinion once I hit this Black.

B-radical

Addicted to Softballfans
Nice, you know me as well, the inner bat buying signal is going off lol.

I just don't want to buy anything new until I know for sure.......but that bat looks awesome for sure! Can't wait to hear how you like it, as we seem to have very similar tastes

BOLTMAN21

Manager
Nice, you know me as well, the inner bat buying signal is going off lol.

I just don't want to buy anything new until I know for sure.......but that bat looks awesome for sure! Can't wait to hear how you like it, as we seem to have very similar tastes

Told myself I was done buying bats and even stocked up on another Juggy for cheap to be done. Then...... new line's released. lol.....
I'll let you know.

BOLTMAN21

Manager
Finally hit the field today. Mixture of 52/300 & 44/375's. Started off with 52's and it felt a bit stiff at first. It opened up very fast and the sound started changing. After about 25 hard hits and a few 44's I noticed slight webbing and a small rattle like Triad's get. Seemed to get better with every swing. Few buddies also swung it and after 150 hits, see my pic below. :eek: I got the last 50 on it and really noticed the huge difference from swing 1. I will be using it quite a bit in games. I can't compare it to any other bat but it feels really nice & has great performance. Huge sweet spot. I don't like judging distance but me and my buddies hit some really nice homers with it and exit speed was great. Looks like one more good BP session and I'm using it for games only. Highly recommend this bat. For what it's worth one buddy said it sounds, feels and opened up really similar to his DC.

SBG SHREK

Coach
Finally hit the field today. Mixture of 52/300 & 44/375's. Started off with 52's and it felt a bit stiff at first. It opened up very fast and the sound started changing. After about 25 hard hits and a few 44's I noticed slight webbing and a small rattle like Triad's get. Seemed to get better with every swing. Few buddies also swung it and after 150 hits, see my pic below. :eek: I got the last 50 on it and really noticed the huge difference from swing 1. I will be using it quite a bit in games. I can't compare it to any other bat but it feels really nice & has great performance. Huge sweet spot. I don't like judging distance but me and my buddies hit some really nice homers with it and exit speed was great. Looks like one more good BP session and I'm using it for games only. Highly recommend this bat. For what it's worth one buddy said it sounds, feels and opened up really similar to his DC.

I feel proud of myself helping you web up your new bat lol
Bat is fire!!!!!

Tictac020

Addicted to BP
That's not webbing, those are SCALES forming! Before the dreaded geometric shape, the triangle takes it out!!!!

BOLTMAN21

Manager
That's not webbing, those are SCALES forming! Before the dreaded geometric shape, the triangle takes it out!!!!

I don't hit hard enough to change a bats shape. Ha. I've had and seen a few Miken's get this type of diagonal paint spiral webbing once broken in. Just not this fast. Must be my full overlap :thumb:

BOLTMAN21

Manager
Definitely keep us updated with how this goes.

Definitely will. Love the performance and quick break in but spiral webbing seems excessive for 150ish cuts. Hope I get a decent lifespan out of this. Nothinh but gentle balls moving forward.

Cali_4sb

Coach
Had someone say it kind of felt like the Worth SB4MXA. If so I'll pull the trigger haha. If I win a pool tomorrow I'm buying one.

BBS

Addicted to Softballfans
Has anyone weighed their bat? Trying to see if I should go to a 26 or 27... Currently swinging a 26 DC41 so I was thinking a 27 would be closer to that swing weight.

Dan411

Star Player
Has anyone weighed their bat? Trying to see if I should go to a 26 or 27... Currently swinging a 26 DC41 so I was thinking a 27 would be closer to that swing weight.

My guess is they are running over. My 28 feels heavier than my other 28 bats. I would stick with a 26.

joonyoung

Starting Player
Anyone have a 26oz freak black for utrip? Please hit me up I have plenty of trade bait or I can pay cash. Thanks

Ballisttic

Star Player
I just got me a 28oz freak black asa today off ebay. I cant wait for it to get here i hope its better than last years asa triad.

Ballisttic

Star Player
My guess is they are running over. My 28 feels heavier than my other 28 bats. I would stick with a 26.

I believe the thinner grip makes the new bats feel more endloaded and heavy than there last years counter part. I really like the new knob and grip for sure.

Ballisttic

Star Player
I got to put about 100 swings on my 28oz asa freak blk today. I really like the way it felt but it was definitely a different feel and sound than last years triad but it did seem to really open up after about 80 swings. It got a few triangle webs on it after it opened up too. I was hitting assorted types of asa 44/375s.

The bat seems to have as good or better distance than last years asa triads. :thumb:

It was the first bat i have ever put webs on in 100 swings, normally it takes me 250 - 400 swings to start seeing webs

Last edited:

Dan411

Star Player
I got to put about 100 swings on my 28oz asa freak blk today. I really like the way it felt but it was definitely a different feel and sound than last years triad but it did seem to really open up after about 80 swings. It got a few triangle webs on it after it opened up too. I was hitting assorted types of asa 44/375s.

The bat seems to have as good or better distance than last years asa triads. :thumb:

It was the first bat i have ever put webs on in 100 swings, normally it takes me 250 - 400 swings to start seeing webs

Mine webbed too after about the same amount of swings!

Ballisttic

Star Player
I took a closer look at the barrel under good lighting and the whole barrel is spiraled through out the miken logo. It was alot worse than i thought.

Hope it holds up :eek:

Ballisttic

Star Player
I put about 60 more swings with 52/300 hot dots and now the whole barrel is spiraled up. The bat seems to hit 52/300 softballs just as far as it does 44/375.
I think that 44/375 softballs are to hard on this bat.

Dan411

Star Player
I put about 60 more swings with 52/300 hot dots and now the whole barrel is spiraled up. The bat seems to hit 52/300 softballs just as far as it does 44/375.
I think that 44/375 softballs are to hard on this bat.

Mine got a few more lines after I hit it a few days ago. Do you feel like the barrel and sweet spot are opening up?

Dan411

Star Player
Yep mine looks like that maybe alittle worse and ya the sweet spot seems really large compared to most bats i have hit with.

Good to hear about the sweet spot. Mine's getting there. I plan to put in some pop toss work with some 52's and Evil BP balls this weekend. I think I keep wanting it to be a DC. I think it can get there, just needs more work from the get go. BTW, mine hasn't touched a 44/375.