Military Ballers Opinions...

AmmoDawg

Rock Chalk Jayhawk
Have any of you taken or thought about the Career Status Bonus? I got notified yesterday and have to have an answer by 29Apr13. Very tempting to become debt free.

EDIT: Memorandum of understanding my options is due 29Apr13. I have 6 months out and up until my 15 year mark to make a decision (29Dec13).

Last edited:

JMIN10

Addicted to Softballfans
Are you talking about the take a little no and lose some off your retirement plan. (Cliff notes version)

Chubby_43

If your in the Desert getting it Tax Free it might be a good idea.. Just depends on how long your going to stay in...

AldapeCJ

Addicted to Softballfans
Only a good deal if you can flip it into 250K or you desperately need it now. If not you will be losing about that if not more in the long run. I'm on leave now but PM me your email and ill send you a PowerPoint on it when I get back.

AmmoDawg

Rock Chalk Jayhawk
I would be 100% debt free and that's the only perk (and staying debt free). I would get $21.4K of the $30K. I would have to stay in 23 to get 50.5% of my retirement and of course I lose 1% of my retirement COLA until age 62 I believe. Pretty much is being debt free worth 3 more years and 1% COLA? :confused: I'm leaning toward yes since I'm about to go through a divorce...

jOeyb00

Addicted to Softballfans
Have any of you taken or thought about the Career Status Bonus? I got notified yesterday and have to have an answer by 29Apr13. Very tempting to become debt free.

EDIT: Memorandum of understanding my options is due 29Apr13. I have 6 months out and up until my 15 year mark to make a decision (29Dec13).

A lot of people are mezmorized by the dollar maount and being debt free. Dont do it brother. Everyone I know who did, is regreting it now. I was thinking about it 4 years ago when my supervisor told me he'd break my hand if I did.....and he wasnt kididng....lol. LONG TERM, not worth it

usmcluberti

Banned User
I wouldn't do it, if you want to be debt free read a Dave Ramsey book (I'm not being sarcastic). I was 20k in debt 2 years ago and here I sit, debt free :D

jk9williams

Addicted to Softballfans
Joey is right...weird :D. Think of your retirement as a million dollar retirement plan that you invested in for 20 plus years. Don't take money from it now and get penalized for it until your 65. Although it is a 1% decrease in COLA, and that doesn't sound to hard to overcome, just remember 2 things.

1. The Government will NEVER do something related to money that is more advantageous to the member than themselves

2. With that COLA loss, your money has less spending power. A gallon of gas or loaf of bread will not cost the same in 5 years and so on.

In the economic times we live in, the government is looking for ways to save and they are being ruthless about it. The golden parachute that military veterans call disability, retirement, and healthcare benefits can't be too far being re-structured, or worse case, on the chopping block. I'm not saying this to scare you, just want you to think about it in a different light.

Instead of taking the money here is an option for you. My wife and I did this program almost 8 years ago and it is by far the best $90 I have ever spent. It was offered by my church, but I have seen it offered at deployed locations for FREE! Go to daveramsey.com and look it over......I promise, you will not regret it!

AmmoDawg

Rock Chalk Jayhawk
A lot of info argueing both sides through posts and PMs...I appreciate it everyone. Being AD working with a Reserve Unit...hard to get good info.