Military: May 23/24, 2015 Albuquerque, NM Tourney Interest

usafshelland

Addicted to Softballfans
Team Kirtland is considering throwing together a tournament May 23/24th 2015 in/around Albuquerque, NM for SOUTHWEST Military Teams only (i.e. California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado, Utah, Nevada)... likely to be called the Southwest Shootout. Looking at 12 teams only for the inaugural year...

Day 1 (May 23) - OPEN Division, 3 GG
Day 2 (May 24) - Top 1/2 from day 1 will play "uppers", bottom 1/2 will play "lowers"... likely in Double Elim format.

Would any teams be interested in playing?

Some things we are working on...
1) USSSA Sanctioned Event (would you still play if you didn't get points)?
2) Prize package (potentially for open day, winner will get 12 sets of turfs from Boombah, working on prize package for day 2 winners)

Interested Teams:
1) Team Kirtland
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)
11)
12)

Interested Teams from outside region:
A)
B)
C)
D)
E)

edspanish

The Puerto Rican!!
I can honestly say I know Team Not forgotten from Holloman and FBT will go since its right around the corner from them. Hopefully Luke can get involved in this as well. DM(overrated) I can see going to this also. Its a good idea being that the tourney is between Vegas stars n stripes and the Band Aid. BUt why only 12. What if you get more teams interested in this.

Hoodles/BLink will GI go to this?

edspanish

The Puerto Rican!!
Here is another question since I haven't played in ABQ yet. What fields are you guys looking? Hotel availability, spot for campers? Just food for thought for me and anybody asking the question.

usafshelland

Addicted to Softballfans
Right now we're looking at either Barelas or up in Rio Rancho. We will work on getting a sponsor/host hotel. As far as camping spots, it won't be a round the clock tourney so we are trying to get a host bar/club as well so we can mingle with all the teams in attendance. There is also some consideration in taking it to Las Cruces as well.

Craig #7

Middle's Closed
I think the West Coast teams could make this a pretty good West Coast circuit starting in March with the Commanders Cup at Lackland, April is Stars and Stripes in Vegas, May in NM, June is Band Aide in CO, just need a July location maybe San Diego or Palm Springs, then everyone ends the season at Worlds on the EAST COAST...

Last edited:

usafshelland

Addicted to Softballfans
I think the tournament needs to be sanctioned USSSA to bring teams in.

Hey Craig,
I'm working on that sanctioning part. I believe the State Director is going to help me out and get that taken care of.

I still HATE the fact that we have to travel for World's. Guess we'll be finding out real soon where we are going this year though. :(

usafshelland

Addicted to Softballfans
I think the West Coast teams could make this a pretty good West Coast circuit starting in March with the Commanders Cup at Lackland, April is Stars and Stripes in Vegas, May in NM, June is Band Aide in CO, just need a July location maybe San Diego or Palm Springs, then everyone ends the season at Worlds on the EAST COAST...

I would also agree, nice little circuit. It would be good to get an AZ visit in before it gets too damn hot. Maybe kickoff in February.

edspanish

The Puerto Rican!!
Yeah ball in July is brutal. looking at 110 plus degrees on the field. Feb is perfect in AZ. You have pioneer park which is a basically a brand new complex(2 years old), 6 fields/320 fences.

Craig #7

Middle's Closed
We used to have a tournament in Feb in AZ, but hardly anyone came out so director stopped two years ago. It was at crappy complexes as well.

usafshelland

Addicted to Softballfans
I think Kirtland will travel next year to more of the regional events and then to worlds (wherever that may be)

Looks like things are starting to heat up again in the military circuit. I'll put a feeler out and see why my guys think but looks like a good time.

Last edited: