Other MLB - End of WS Game 3

Crabby Bob

Addicted to Softballfans
Just how ****ing dense does everyone have to be to even be discussing this.

yup.

The fielder's legs are irrelevant, the award is the NEXT base (by MLB rules), any attempt to justify a "no call" is absurd and intent have absolutely ZIP to do with the rule, the call or it's application.

IT WAS OBS and the appropriate award for MLB.

Baseball Type A obstruction is an immediate dead ball + award the obstructed runner the advance base. I think we can agree that the runner was not being played on at the time of this obstruction. Type B OBS is a delayed dead ball and the umpire may award bases to nullify the OBS.

TexasTransplant

Addicted to Softballfans
As a RS fan it looked obvious in real time that Middlebrooks did the unintentional intentional trip, either way it happened and it was on him. Only problem is that it worked. I agree Craig would have scored easily if he doesn't get tripped up. I'll also say that if that ball doesn't hit his arm and deflect way into foul territory and he still runs, Nava has him thrown out by a mile. Salty is an idiot. Rec league softball mistake, little league mistake even, how do you make that throw tie game bottom nine? It's baseball not softball you take the odds with two outs that you're going to get the next guy out. Top 9 is a different story but wow that was dumb.

As a Cardinal fan, I guess the same way you get picked off first with your best clutch hitter at the plate representing the tying run!

It's getting to be an interesting Series.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
On one of those angles it almost looks like Craig doesnt trip on Middlebrooks but trips on his own feet and just falls on Middlebrooks. If Craig is a step further away and its more obvious that he trips on himself do you think he still gets obstruction because he fell on the fielder instead of just falling on the field?

If the fielder's mere presence hinders the runner is enough, no contact is necessary.