Mnf thrad, cause we need one

mcm21078

Addicted to Softballfans
yeah and Gretzky played with him and about 6 other HOFers. Lemiuex played with Rob Brown and Randy Cunneyworth.

3XC

Big Truss
Ron Francis, Kevin Stevens, Rick Tocchet, Joe Mullen, Larry Murphy, Lemieux won his cups with some good ass players. Maybe if he passed more and shot less they'd have put up crazy Jari Kurri numbers, but whatever, Lemieux was a ****ing beast.

3XC

Big Truss
I say this as a Caps fan that hated the Penguins, I hated the Penguins before I hated the Steelers. **** that whole city.

Marshenko

Ron Francis, Kevin Stevens, Rick Tocchet, Joe Mullen, Larry Murphy, Lemieux won his cups with some good ass players. Maybe if he passed more and shot less they'd have put up crazy Jari Kurri numbers, but whatever, Lemieux was a ****ing beast.

Yeah they really ended up being stacked in the early 90s. How dare you forget Zarley Zalapski and Mark Recchi before they went elsewhere though.

mcm21078

Addicted to Softballfans
the game was much more open in the early and mid 80's. Guys stopped putting up video game numbers around 1990. I don't know if the rules changed or the goalies just got bigger pads, but the scoring def went down. And yeah I said pre-Jagr. Lemeiux had his monster season in 87 or 88 centering a couple of stiffs. Gretzky was pretty good too. If I could have one player I'd take Lemieux.

3XC

Big Truss
the game was much more open in the early and mid 80's. Guys stopped putting up video game numbers around 1990. I don't know if the rules changed or the goalies just got bigger pads, but the scoring def went down. And yeah I said pre-Jagr. Lemeiux had his monster season in 87 or 88 centering a couple of stiffs. Gretzky was pretty good too. If I could have one player I'd take Lemieux.

The NJ Devils and their ****ing puck trapping is what killed scoring. It wasn't pads, if it was pads you'd see the same # of shots and less goals. Scoring went down when shooting when down.

Marshenko

The NJ Devils and their ****ing puck trapping is what killed scoring. It wasn't pads, if it was pads you'd see the same # of shots and less goals. Scoring went down when shooting when down.

Ehh. Shots Against haven't really fluctuated THAT much. Peaked at 31.0 in 1986, dipped to 27.3 in 1997, finished at 29.8 last year.

Save percentages went from .874 in 1986 to .915 last year. I don't think that extra shot is making a huge difference. It is a combination of larger goalies, larger goalie pads, better defensive systems, all that jazz.

You can't discount the effect the left wing lock or the neutral zone trap had on the league, but at that very same time Patrick Roy was wearing a 7XL jersey.

Last edited: