Moving positions...new glove?!

riverdog4

Addicted to Softballfans
For the last few years I have played short stop and have learned to use a bigger glove (used an 11.5" through college and now a 12.75" Mizuno Classic Pro X). Took me a while to get used to the bigger glove and feel like I have the ability to get a few balls that I couldn't with my baseball gloves. This year I am joining a new team and moving to middle/rover. For others on the board, what size of glove do you use playing middle? Think my current glove is too big for quick transfers? Thanks.

grubd

Banned User
Middle and lunging at balls I think a 12.75 is just fine. Maybe go down to a 12.5, wouldn't go much smaller than that.

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
12.5" is the smallest I'd go anywhere where you'll be ranging for a ball. I used a 12" at 3b but not much range required there compared to MIF positions.

RealDK

Audience of One
i'm stuck on my 12.25, i tried 12.75 and 12.5 and they were too big to transfer without a slight search for the ball but helped on ranging plays. my 12.25 is adequate to range with and there is no lost handles or searching for turns.....imo

Spackler

...got that goin for me
i'm stuck on my 12.25, i tried 12.75 and 12.5 and they were too big to transfer without a slight search for the ball but helped on ranging plays. my 12.25 is adequate to range with and there is no lost handles or searching for turns.....imo

I think there's definitely a contrast between sizes if you just give it a short test run. But after a while you learn a bigger glove and know where the ball will be and you adjust making for quick exchanges......I went to a 13.25 to increase the gloving the ball % as I came back from surgery at 2nd and at first there was a few times I felt it was slower or searching but I got faster and faster as I adjusted and feels very natural now....

MaverickAH

I think there's definitely a contrast between sizes if you just give it a short test run. But after a while you learn a bigger glove and know where the ball will be and you adjust making for quick exchanges......I went to a 13.25 to increase the gloving the ball % as I came back from surgery at 2nd and at first there was a few times I felt it was slower or searching but I got faster and faster as I adjusted and feels very natural now....

I've got to agree with you on this.

It boggles my mind how going up 1/4" or 1/2" in size would make such a difference that it would cause one to have to "search" for a 12" softball but I guess if there are some that feel that way, I have no reason to doubt them.

To the actual topic, I ask, "Other than just wanting a rationale to purchase a new glove, why would you think that you need a smaller glove when moving from SS to MI/Rover?"

If you describe your role as being MI/Rover, that implies that you're possibly going to be setting up in the OF at times. Why would you want to go smaller for that? Even if you're setting up in the IF the majority of the time, why would you think that you'd need a quicker transfer than you already need at SS? It's exactly the same!!!

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
It isn't the length of the glove so much as the depth that matters to me as much. If I catch a ball thrown by the SS and want to throw it over to first, even if my throwing hand is right on the thumb side of the glove, I am going to make a quicker transfer with a shallower glove where the ball is not too deep in a pocket. For example, I couldn't imagine that digging the ball out of a GCP51 would be as easy as with a PRO504. Of course, my teammates all laugh at my thumb to middle/index breaks on my infield gloves.

RealDK

Audience of One
It isn't the length of the glove so much as the depth that matters to me as much. If I catch a ball thrown by the SS and want to throw it over to first, even if my throwing hand is right on the thumb side of the glove, I am going to make a quicker transfer with a shallower glove where the ball is not too deep in a pocket. For example, I couldn't imagine that digging the ball out of a GCP51 would be as easy as with a PRO504. Of course, my teammates all laugh at my thumb to middle/index breaks on my infield gloves.

^^this is what i was referring to.....played college ball always had shallow gloves and pockets, on turns with smaller gloves its easier to transfer ball doesn't get sucked in the pocket like they do with bigger gloves. easier to deflect into throwing hand with smaller shallow glove than it is to catch and grab with a bigger deeper glove

i close glove the same thumb to index for infield, thumb to pinky for OF

jethrodub

Coach
I definitely agree with the fact that if you can play SS with a glove with no issues, you shouldnt have any problems playing 5-man with the same glove. On the other hand, I am officially a big supporter of any excuse to buy a new glove. That being said, I think you should go to a local shop, and try on as many gloves in the 12" to 12.75" range as you can (lots of different patterns to choose from), and see if there is one there that you think would work better for you in the new position and give one a shot. If you cant get used to the new glove, you can always turn around and sell on here.

I have big ole hands. I use a 13.5 playing short stop. lol I am in the market for a new glove. Might go try some on this weekend.

17HnH

Old Made New Glove Relacing Owner
It boggles my mind how going up 1/4" or 1/2" in size would make such a difference that it would cause one to have to "search" for a 12" softball but I guess if there are some that feel that way, I have no reason to doubt them.[/I]

I agree to a certain extent. I think the depth of the pocket is the more legitimate concern than glove length. If you are talking about going up 1" or more, I see you needing time to get used to it. But yes, 1/4" - 1/2" isn't much of a change imo.

RealDK

Audience of One
I agree to a certain extent. I think the depth of the pocket is the more legitimate concern than glove length. If you are talking about going up 1" or more, I see you needing time to get used to it. But yes, 1/4" - 1/2" isn't much of a change imo.

to me every bit of extra matters when it comes to weight and maneuverability and comfort even if its only an extra 1/2" some gloves play bigger some gloves play true, every glove and manufacturer is different and 12.25 seems to work best for me comparing softball and pocket ratio and baseball and pocket ratio in 11.25 which is what i used all thru hs and college and was used to the feel

exccsracer

Scrooge McBase
I alternate between short and 2b. No issues with a 13" but I went to a higher quality glove in a 12.75 and feels no different to me. It's all about what feels good to you. I know outfielders that have been using an 11.5 because it's well broken in and feels good. I wouldn't dare knock them, they know their hands better than I do.