ASA Multi-base hit does the B/R have to touch white of 1B?

Arrgh

Addicted to Softballfans
Safety base is used at 1B. If the B/Rgets a multi-base hit, when rouding 1B, does the BR have to touch the white, or touching the orange is fine?

Today I was told the BR needs to touch the white, otherwise it can be appealed and the BR is out. Just wanted make sure that is correct.

Thanks.

andy-rockstar

Living for the Cit-ay
It's all one big base, except when there's an initial play at 1B. Rule 8.M.6 in the 2008 ASA rulebook.

Good baserunning technique would have the B-R touching an inside corner of the white base, but that's not the point here.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
It's still 8.2.M.6 in the 2012 book, too. The batter-runner may use either the white or the contrasting color on balls hit to the outfield. The defense can use either portion as well.

BigSam

Addicted to Softballfans
Shocking how many people don't get the whole double bag thing. Worst offenders seem to be batter/runners with first basemen a close second. The only thing different between a running bag and a single bag is that a B/R running straight through the bag has a place to touch outside the foul line. Other than that it is one big base. Which means that the 1B needs to get the hell out of the way so the B/R can make the turn when there's no play.

Not directed at the OP... sadly this is a legitimate question and one I've heard both coaches and umpires explain incorrectly.

Arrgh

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks a lot.

Actually I had thought it was one big bag. But yesterday in a high school fastpitch playoff game, the ump said the BR needs to touch the white. I said I thought only if there is an initial play at 1B then the white or orange comes into effect, so because there's no play at 1B, the entire bag can be used. The ump said no, BR needs to touch the white or the other team can appeal and he'll call an out (for the BR only touching orange).

Now I'd like to find out how we can get that straightened out for the next playoff games.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
Thanks a lot.

Actually I had thought it was one big bag. But yesterday in a high school fastpitch playoff game, the ump said the BR needs to touch the white. I said I thought only if there is an initial play at 1B then the white or orange comes into effect, so because there's no play at 1B, the entire bag can be used. The ump said no, BR needs to touch the white or the other team can appeal and he'll call an out (for the BR only touching orange).

Now I'd like to find out how we can get that straightened out for the next playoff games.

You mention High School. Is ASA actually the ruleset you use? There is NFHS in the states that governs most high school athletics (but their rule is the same as ASA with regards to the double base as far as I can tell).

It sounds like the umpire is either confused or misinformed about the rule. Without knowing for sure what ruleset is used, it's tough to say. Also, if there is a localized version of the rules, that could be in there. For example, I live in Pennsylvania, where we have the PIAA (Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association), which uses NFHS as its base, but makes their own changes. Like for bats, they require a 2004 stamp, no matter what, while NFHS allows the 2000 or 2004 ASA stamp.

Either way, if they are going to call it that way, just tell your runners to make sure they use the white portion of the bag on base hits to the outfield. That almost seems like the path of least resistance.