My first ever experience with 52/300's

JSkillz23

Secret Santa Terrorist
Was horrifying. I know its just a ball and it shouldn't make that big of difference but i tried swinging my flex, 454 filthy and mutjha and none of them seemed to get the ball to jump or anything! So i picked up a buddies z1000 from another team and tried that, and that is by far one of the best new bats for the 52/300's. Also another thing i noticed, i play middle man and i was wondering if it was just the fields (pretty well groomed/ flat infields) but the ball seemed to just be hopping every grounder that was hit. Some wicked hops too. As my thoughts to the ball though and actually stealing in ASA (first time playing that also) it makes the game really competitive and skill set. It was a pretty good experience to say the least. RANT OVER.

ATL Rookie

Manager
What .52/300 did you use? That sounds like my experience with the dudley hy-cons but others say the higher quality Evils and Tattoos are much more consistent. Thankfully we went to .40/375's in league here.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Was horrifying. I know its just a ball and it shouldn't make that big of difference but i tried swinging my flex, 454 filthy and mutjha and none of them seemed to get the ball to jump or anything! So i picked up a buddies z1000 from another team and tried that, and that is by far one of the best new bats for the 52/300's.

So, it is the bat, not the batter that gets the hits?

Also another thing i noticed, i play middle man and i was wondering if it was just the fields (pretty well groomed/ flat infields) but the ball seemed to just be hopping every grounder that was hit. Some wicked hops too.

Yes, they are more likely to bound as opposed to hit the ground and roll

As my thoughts to the ball though and actually stealing in ASA (first time playing that also) it makes the game really competitive and skill set. It was a pretty good experience to say the least. RANT OVER.

I agree. IMO, stealing adds a dimension to the game that creates a more attentive defense and adds a little more strategy to the game.

JSkillz23

Secret Santa Terrorist
What .52/300 did you use? That sounds like my experience with the dudley hy-cons but others say the higher quality Evils and Tattoos are much more consistent. Thankfully we went to .40/375's in league here.

They supplied Hot Dots. In league play we still hit 375's. This was just a official ASA tourney.

So, it is the bat, not the batter that gets the hits?
Yes, they are more likely to bound as opposed to hit the ground and roll
I agree. IMO, stealing adds a dimension to the game that creates a more attentive defense and adds a little more strategy to the game.

No, its definitely the hitters fault! Wasn't trying to blame it on the ball, sorry if it sounded that way. It was more in reference to the way my mutjha hits 375's it gets more of a sizzle of the bat. With the 300's, it just felt as if it died right off the bat, and a lot of balls that would be most likely hard line drives to the fence, with the 300 seemed to not carry and die. Maybe it was just what i thought.
The first game we were in the field a guy took off for second and it didn't sink in to what he was doing, it really didn't sink it til halfway through the game, it definitely takes some getting used to for sure.

longball32

Underhand HR hitter
I just played in a tournament this weekend where you couldnt bring your own .52 core and had to use the ones they were selling, Which happened to be the Tattoo (synthetic core) Absolute worst feeling .52 core ball made IMO Ive hit them before last year and have a dozen i have in my BP bucket and hit them every week and the Evil Rocks .52 core fly way better then them.. But in the tournament i still watched the big guys use thier shells every game, they fly ok but I think they dont last to long, as they were sounding pretty bad the last few games we played. I watched a Line drive (hit very hard) hit the ground in front of our CF and bounce over his head back to the fence.. they do seem a bit bouncy

dremersvision

Addicted to Softballfans
I noticed when other players played with the new 52's that it seem to take a wicked bounce but I didn't notice that when my team played with it.

As far as hitting goes....... I was lifting them, my swinging was off but I was still carrying them a good distance.

rmarsh

Addicted to Softballfans
We started using them in league and the biggest thing I noticed was they seem to float when there hit far. Almost seemed to fly like a knuckle ball, not really fly and drop. I don't know, hard to explain but i tried.lol

BIGPAP72

WELL I know the trumps jump off the bats. There 52/300 hits just like a 375/400 ball. Key to these balls are stock bats. They don't respond well to shaved or rolled bats. Stock stock stock. aluminum is best

BIGPAP72

the reason they bounce so much is the recoil of the core. It jumps off at contact. Its so responsive that your shaved bat will not have time to trampoline the ball. The ball will leave your SHAVED bat before it can flex. Thats also why there hopping like a grass hopper. Metal and stock/stiff composites will hit them the best.

jeb_daddy69

Addicted to Softballfans
I was up there too. An youre right, those hops were wicked. One guy lost some chiclets cuz of it. It's not just the field, those Hot Dots do that anywhere.

wagon487

2016 Vegas Champs 60 Major
volts hits these balls the best, this is our third year of using them

Last edited:

rlopezjr1977

King EUUUUPPPPP
Was horrifying. I know its just a ball and it shouldn't make that big of difference but i tried swinging my flex, 454 filthy and mutjha and none of them seemed to get the ball to jump or anything! So i picked up a buddies z1000 from another team and tried that, and that is by far one of the best new bats for the 52/300's. Also another thing i noticed, i play middle man and i was wondering if it was just the fields (pretty well groomed/ flat infields) but the ball seemed to just be hopping every grounder that was hit. Some wicked hops too. As my thoughts to the ball though and actually stealing in ASA (first time playing that also) it makes the game really competitive and skill set. It was a pretty good experience to say the least. RANT OVER.

The 52/300 will jump more than regular balls for sure. Just like a mush ball you have to hit it to make it go somewhere. The Z-1000 is a good bat for this ball also try the new Easton Salvo I have had some success with that bat as well.

CHICUBS4EVER

#BaGGeRsANoNyMouS
my first time last weekend using the hot dots. A lot of people sayin the z1000 is the best bat bla bla ba.

Im not arguing that, im only saying the ball was jumpin off my SCN9 just as well as any other bats out there. the one thing i noticed across the board... a LOT more pop-ups. a lot less room for error when hitting them, something i truly enjoy.

And yes combined with the stealing and less air-flight of the balls on average, games were much more competitive, a lot lower scoring, and simply a lot of fun all around!

RalphG427

On the bench
The problem was you were using synthetic cover balls, they are much worse than the composite or leather cover balls. Try the Tattoo .52/300 composite cover, it is a night and day difference over the synthetic cover.

MNFAN

Part Time Player
I watched a mens league (not my league) game last week on the 52/300. Both teams are lucky to have 2nd basemen left. Talk to one short stop who still has a scar from first tournament he played in last year with these balls. I recommend playing back on the grass line against these balls, and pay attention to the hop. as far as fly balls they get in the air and like to dance, that is for sure.

jk22

Humpty Dumpty was Pushed.....
This whole thread is depressing..
ASA will downward spiral again for mandating these POS balls. Gummy bear fly balls + More sporadic, injury prone bad hops sounds like a great solution to me.

FR20

<font color="#000080">Bleeding Blue</font>
I just hit the 52/300s for the first time a couple weeks ago in a tournament, we hit Tattoo synthetics. I hit 3-4 balls that would've been gone with any 44/375 that didn't even make it to the warning track, I was swinging a OG Ext, and it definitely felt weird, like their is no spring board effect as all. These balls definitely neutralize the game and make it into a single hitters game and teams with sound fundamental defense can more competitive against teams loaded with power hitters. I also saw a lot of weird hops on the infield, IMO these balls will cause more injuries than prevent in the long run.

Last edited:

dremersvision

Addicted to Softballfans
I watched a mens league (not my league) game last week on the 52/300. Both teams are lucky to have 2nd basemen left. Talk to one short stop who still has a scar from first tournament he played in last year with these balls. I recommend playing back on the grass line against these balls, and pay attention to the hop. as far as fly balls they get in the air and like to dance, that is for sure.

I wish i could tell you that you were lying but you are telling the truth. These balls take nasty hops in the outfield and infielders bobble these balls like crazy. I prefer the old balls without a doubt. i learned the hard way yesterday that i should play back in the grass when it comes to these balls...

This whole thread is depressing..
ASA will downward spiral again for mandating these POS balls. Gummy bear fly balls + More sporadic, injury prone bad hops sounds like a great solution to me.

The stuff i witnessed yesterday was jaw dropping really. A lot of the guys i play with are very good in their positions and everyone of those guys bobbled the ball in the game. It was truth when someone stated that these balls will expose defensive weakness.

ss_stud

Addicted to Softballfans
hot dots are garbage and every1 knows it....still able to hit them out of 300 ft fences but there garbage regardless! alot of ppl r leaving ASA caz of them

RalphG427

On the bench
hot dots are garbage and every1 knows it....still able to hit them out of 300 ft fences but there garbage regardless! alot of ppl r leaving ASA caz of them

So are the Gold Dots, but that's like saying people are leaving ASA because of the Gold Dots when there are atleast a dozen better .44/375 options out there. Get a high end .52/300 and you won't complain as much.

dponder

Addicted to Softballfans
So are the Gold Dots, but that's like saying people are leaving ASA because of the Gold Dots when there are atleast a dozen better .44/375 options out there. Get a high end .52/300 and you won't complain as much.

We hit Gold and Hot Dots because we have to. They are league supplied and all city sponsored tourneys use them. I would welcome being able to swing what you bring.

RalphG427

On the bench
We hit Gold and Hot Dots because we have to. They are league supplied and all city sponsored tourneys use them. I would welcome being able to swing what you bring.

This is completely understandable. Keep in mind that in this situation the other team is hitting the same ball so the playing field is level. I know I sound like a broken record but if you get an oppurtunity to hit a .52/300 Composite cover (feels and looks like leather) like a Tattoo or the Evil (leather cover I believe) you will be amazed how much better they hit than the .52's with synthetic covers. It is night and day. They act much more like the balls we are used to.

ichiromoco

Addicted to Softballfans
2nd hop with those balls can be ridiculous. Used them for 2 years already. It isnt the field.

Also you will see alot of balls knuckled in the of.

MNFAN

Part Time Player
This is completely understandable. Keep in mind that in this situation the other team is hitting the same ball so the playing field is level. I know I sound like a broken record but if you get an oppurtunity to hit a .52/300 Composite cover (feels and looks like leather) like a Tattoo or the Evil (leather cover I believe) you will be amazed how much better they hit than the .52's with synthetic covers. It is night and day. They act much more like the balls we are used to.

Have you hit and guru's yet? My mens team wants to try them, just can not find them anywhere. The tattoo's are even hard to find.

RalphG427

On the bench
Have not hit the Guru's yet. If you wan't to buy Tattoo's I highly suggest you PM tattooball on here you can buy direct from him. I promise you will not be disappointed.

Addicted to Softballfans
Played in a tournament is weekend and seen Dudley's and Evil's flying out with no problem. Pre-ABI and Post-ABI bats were hitting them out, hard liners through the gaps, and I seen one ball that took a bad hop. I don't know what to think other than I haven't seen/experienced what I've read. JMO