My guide for replacing glove padding/inserts/stays

Godsdog

<font color="#00274C">Descendant of Vander Meer</f
Posting this here, maybe someone will find it useful if they come upon the same issue.

I posted about this glove before, when I bought it off the bay, it arrived with absolutely no padding in the heel. When doing a full re-lace, I took opportunity to investigate.

1-thumb.jpg

2-ripped-insert.jpg

Once I got the heel lace off, I remove the thumb-side insert/stay. It was obviously torn apart- how savage. I read that folks sometimes remove some padding to increase the feel. This wasn't something I was interested in and wish was disclosed in the purchase process- but I digress.

3-plan.jpg

I traced out what should have been the full thumb-to-heel padding.

4-plan-with-felt.jpg

6-thick.jpg

Based on the thickness of the ripped insert, I used 3/16" F7 grade felt from Grainger. (Thanks to Rous for the info)

5-felt-two.jpg

Rough cut the top and bottom.

7-felt-overlay-with-plastic.jpg

One cut. I had to trim it a couple times to make it just right.

8-felt-holes-marked.jpg

Marked the holes based off the HDPE piece and original. The HDPE did not need to be replaced.

9-felt-two-cut.jpg

Top and bottom are both cut to size.

10-complete-side-by-side.jpg

Straight-stitched both sides together. My wife was (sorta) impressed.

11-complete-compare.jpg

Not too bad. Here is the old one laying on top of the new. Look like a match.

12-complete.jpg

Done. Perfect fit. Finished the relace and am very happy with the end result.

Last edited:

10nike

Addicted to Softballfans
Next time if you don't want to spend a lot of time stitching the two pieces together. I recommend just using spray adhesive. Works great and it takes about 5 seconds to put the two pieces together

Godsdog

Next time if you don't want to spend a lot of time stitching the two pieces together. I recommend just using spray adhesive. Works great and it takes about 5 seconds to put the two pieces together

True, but my aim was to return to retail form. Even though the fix is internal and no one else would know about it, I would.

Trung1130

FREE AGENT FOR LIFE

They also sell the wool felt with the adhesive on one side

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Looks good Godsdog! I think using F7 on both the top and bottom of the pad will work great... and easier than buying two separate grades of felt. I think using F3, F5 or F7 would all work equally well. I worked on an older Pro Preferred a few weeks back and it was F3 (or maybe even F1) all over.

I have not switched to either spray adhesive or using only the felt with the adhesive layer only because none of the glove makers have made the switch. Given how much labor and capital it would save, I am assuming they must have a reason for sticking with the sewing... but maybe not!

fredderf

MiZUNo & HORWeeN LoVER
I just cut a smaller hole out of the top of the thumb, and sew it up afterwards. Besides, it doesn't have to look pretty, its on the inside anyway.

F

Looks good Godsdog! I think using F7 on both the top and bottom of the pad will work great... and easier than buying two separate grades of felt. I think using F3, F5 or F7 would all work equally well. I worked on an older Pro Preferred a few weeks back and it was F3 (or maybe even F1) all over.

I have not switched to either spray adhesive or using only the felt with the adhesive layer only because none of the glove makers have made the switch. Given how much labor and capital it would save, I am assuming they must have a reason for sticking with the sewing... but maybe not!

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
I just cut a smaller hole out of the top of the thumb, and sew it up afterwards. Besides, it doesn't have to look pretty, its on the inside anyway.

F

Yep. If I am just replacing a stay, then that is what I do too. I have had to make a complete thumb pad before too (same reason, someone had cut the heel part out) and I sewed it all together.

Godsdog

Thanks! For longevity-sake, what is the differences between grades, Rous? Firmness/density?

Godsdog

I have not switched to either spray adhesive or using only the felt with the adhesive layer only because none of the glove makers have made the switch.

Exactly. My thought was to "to return to the originally designed"- tho...I did upgrade the lace (1/4" in web and fingers, 3/8" everywhere else) while I was at it- so maybe I am being hypocritical. ;)

Godsdog

F

Great point. I had to replace the padding. If the stay was cracked in two, I would have just made a big enough incision to replace the broken HDPE.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks! For longevity-sake, what is the differences between grades, Rous? Firmness/density?

Any of those grades will last forever. F1 is the stiffest/firmest/heaviest and F9 the softest and lightest, but all are firmer and durable than the confetti grade used in most gloves. F1 is so dense it is hard to get a needle though it to sew. I don't use it except for palm pads.

502 to Right

Manager
This thread is a life saver. I too bought a glove where someone decided to go Dustin Pedroia style with the heel padding. Cut it right out.

Now I know what to replace it with.

Godsdog

This thread is a life saver. I too bought a glove where someone decided to go Dustin Pedroia style with the heel padding. Cut it right out.

Now I know what to replace it with.

Nice! Happy to have helped. Post if you have any questions.