My Log

Onefiver

Addicted to Softballfans
Woke up and just felt blah from this cold/sinus infection...not as bad as the last few days, but just worn (didn't sleep well either). Went to the gym today and it just wasn't happening, so I dialed back the number of sets, didn't really grind out any reps, added some rehab work and left. More and more, I think it is time to deload. We'll see how the next session goes.

Onefiver

Addicted to Softballfans
Tried the gym again today - another bad session. My sinuses and lungs are filled with green crap so breathing was a bit more difficult. I don't feel terrible, just drained. I trimmed back # of exercises and weight as needed, did some rehab work and got out. I am going to the rest of the week off from lifting save for just rehab work. When I come back next week, I will back cycle the weights and then build back up.

(after hitting some PRs with 80lbs DB shoulder press, I could not even get the weights up last night :( - it is partially technique, but I just didn't have any gas in the tank either)

Onefiver

Addicted to Softballfans
Game on Thursday. I like to hit BP at lunch but forgot my gear. Ended up 1-2, BB and left wanting to play more...3 plate appearances on the night is teh suck.

Worked some intense rehab stuff yesterday. Feel good, but drained today. Today I am off. Depending on whether the gym is open tomorrow will determine if I am going to be on my first day back on the backcycle or not.

I might try to hit the cages today.

Onefiver

Addicted to Softballfans
First day back on the back cycle. The rehab stuff I have been doing on my knee and hip is really paying off. I am feeling better and better. Still not perfect, and I still get the occasional bruising, but it is very encouraging.

During my "off" week, I also eased up on the eating plan a little. All in all, it was a much needed break and I came back refreshed. On the downside, I got really nauseous today, but I think that had more to do with poor meal planning on my part - I hit the gym on a pretty empty stomach and the Xtend wasn't quite enough to keep me from feeling like I wanted to yack. So, I had to cut back the work a bit today - not too concerned, just a little hiccup.

I am also going to focus more on some horizontal type back work and ease up on the vertical stuff for a spell. Switching from the DB row to the Hammer Machine row made the whole routine a little unbalanced and I think it led to some of the shoulder issues I am working on.

Foam rolling, light stretching

Chins
BWx5 (close)
BWx5 (wide)
just using as a warm up.

DB Shoulder Press
warm up sets
70x6
70x5
70x5

DB Row
warm up set
100* x9
100* x8
100* x5
(used the oly DB bar - I added 100lbs, not sure how much the bar weighs, 2-7lbs, I'd guess...maybe 10...doesn't matter, the premade DBs top out at 100 at the gym, so I will be using these bars as the weights increase)

The rows are where I started to feel nauseous, so I throttled back and did some hip and knee rehab stuff

Glute machine - couple worksets @ 150lbs - hip joint on the right felt a little tweaky near then end - keep an eye on it
Strong range leg ext - couple of sets @ 115lbs in the 12-15 rep range

DB rear back fly
55x12
55x10

some direct arm work, cant recall the specifics - nothing special

Onefiver

Addicted to Softballfans
My workouts have been quasi-sporadic as I believe I reached the overreached zone and was getting worn out. I am finally starting to feel like I can up the frequency and/or volume again.

At any rate, we just finished spring ball and I ended up .629, 1 dinger, handful of doubles, and a triple. I swung at a lot of garbage and need to work on pitch selection, but overall I am generally satisfied given that it had been several years since I played regularly and that I was coming from a pretty substantial groin injury.

I will now be looking for a summer league. If I do not find one, I will work my butt off, shore up some injuries and be ready for fall ball.

Onefiver

Addicted to Softballfans
Had my full leg session last Friday and it went rather well. By now the numbers have completely faded from my head. I have gotten lax on keeping the hip/groin loose and I can feel some tightness creeping back in along with some bruising. I should go get the bruising checked out, but it is not preventing me from anything, and I dont want to spend the cash.

My knees flare up occasionally, but the CMO helps. At this point, I am beginning to think that this is just something I will have to deal with as I get closer to 40 than I am 30 :( . I don't really need the braces to perform, but I can definitely tell when I have not worn them the next day. Yet, I will keep working toward the goal of a greater ROM and less pain.

On the field, I am feeling better and better. My speed is returning nicely. Also, my right shoulder is getting stronger and holding up better, which is helping my throws as well as batting. I definitely try to protect the shoulder whilst batting when it is hurting. Getting back to more perpendicular rowing motions has helped a ton along with just throwing (I was all worried about batting, it never occurred to me that throwing would take some time to come back as well...maybe even more time). I am guessing the CMO is helping the shoulder, too.

I have taken my first progress photo in a few years - one impromptu shot on Sat AM because I was shocked at how lean I seemed to have gotten "all of a sudden" (compared to where I have been hovering lately, that is...not the leanest you'll ever see by any means or the leanest I have ever been). I am not sure if I will post it or not...I like to keep it somewhat private, but it may be worth throwing in a log for my own tracking purposes. Undecided. I just feel weird about it for some reason. No one else here has done it that I recall, so it seems a little out of place.

Upper body tonight.

Last edited:

Onefiver

Addicted to Softballfans
Last night:

Foam roll, stretch

Chins
BWx5 (narrow)
BWx5 (wide)
BWx8 (narrow)
I didn't work these very hard. More or less a warm up. I have stopped using pre-wo with stims for now and it is taking me a bit longer to feel warmed up.

DB Shoulder Press
45x5
60x5
*70x8
*70x6
*70x5
I would like to get back to 80s on at least the first set, but I have been having a hard time getting the 80s into position. I failed a few times and now I think it is in my head...lol. My b-day is coming up so I might get some of those DB hook thingies and hook the DBs on the smith machine bar or something so I can start higher instead of trying to lug the DBs up to position from down low.

DB Row
80x5
*100x12
*100x10
*100x8
Time to add some weight to here...

I moved to some leg work here. Some calves, glute machine and leg extensions. I just wanted to get some work in because I felt some tightness creeping back in some places and wanted to keep some other places shored up as best I could. This means no leg work today (Thurs). This is fine as I am toying with every other day or every two days where the focus may be upper or lower, but the one that is not the focus still gets a few sets. I am a big fan of trading some volume for frequency. ymmv and all that...

Back Fly
*65x10
*65x8

Then, some arm work - can't recall specifics. Three sets each of DB hammers with 50s (or 55s? ) and tri push downs in the 6-12 rep range.

I haven't done much chest work as of late due to shoulder issues whilst playing ball. When it flares up, it feels like the shoulder is being rotated forward and down, so I am focusing on more back movement that are perpendicular to my body to help keep things pulled back. I am also working on massaging and stretching the levator scapulae, the scalenes and pecs. I was already focusing more on the back anyway but I thought I would try dropping the chest stuff sans for the throw in set or two here and there to see if I can help things move a bit faster. There has been some definite improvement, but I am still not where I want to be.

Back at it on Fri or Sat depending on how I feel tomorrow.

Last edited:

Onefiver

Addicted to Softballfans
Legs on Sat. I cannot recall reps...but I generally keep it in the 8-12 range for legs - until I at least start to feel more confident in the groin. I was actually going to try some free weight squats, but some guy was hogging the rack. I tried to do some warm up with a leg press to wait him out, but the guy was doing endless sets. So, I started with worksets on the leg press - this is the first time I used the leg press since the injury (not the same machine though). I really got a good stretch in the groin and did a few sets with 360lbs, but the groin started to feel iffy. So I stopped after two work sets. I am not a fan of any kind of seated leg pressing movement if you already are prone to glute amnesia. I likely won't be returning to the movement for a very long time.

Squat machine was next and I did a few sets with 260lbs - the reps were higher here, so I could likely go heavier. I just wanted to avoid irritating the groin any further.

Glute machine was next with a few sets at 160lbs. I can likely add another 10lbs or so.

I then moved on to some iso work for hamstrings, quads and calves.

I felt fatigued afterwards, but good. Certainly not wiped out, so I can likely add some more weight and/or sets next time. However, the groin was tweaky yesterday and today...almost feels like it is going to grab. I have been rolling and heating it to keep it loose. Also, there is a bit of bruising still going on. I have also discovered some substantial trigger points in the adductors on the bad side - which are incredibly difficult to reach with the roller. Adductor rolling doesn't get them - I can get better at them with a modified hamstring roll. My lower back is also tweaky - it has felt on edge for a long time because I sit uneven due to the atrophy in the right glute - I should probably work the right glute hard to catch up and merely maintain the left. I can deal with all of the above and work around them. The bruising is concerning, and I will likely get it checked out at some point. However, nothing is bad enough to keep me from playing. So, I will try to hold off until it does or until ball season is over. Bottom line, having a desk job and a drive to work every day is bad for your lower body health - and I just haven't been dilligent in doing the best I can to keep that stuff at bay. More rolling and mobility work is due on a more frequent basis.

Onefiver

Addicted to Softballfans
I had about a week break between family obligations (end of school year is nuts with kids) and weather related issues. My right tricep flared up out of the blue as well and then both elbows (I think it has to do with sleeping on my arms weird lately - only explanation as I hadn't worked out in almost a week when they started to flare up). But some RICE and Joint Force seemed to help make things manageable. Got back at it this past weekend. Strength was down a tad (dont have numbers handy), but I felt really good (flexors are a little tight but knees and shoulder feel great). I also threw in some eccentric tricep work as I had read about eccentrics helping with tendonitis - elbows feel pretty good today. It will be interesting to see how they hold up swinging the bat and throwing tonight.

Game tonight and then the gym is full bore this week.

Cages at lunch.

Last edited:

canzeber

north carolina log cabins for sale
Posted by cabinman - There are a lot of states where you can buy a mountain real estate, and all of them can offer a great time to anyone. However, there are a lot of things that should be considered if you are going to buy a mountain real estate, and you should not simply buy a mountain real estate randomly. Below are some of the best states where you can buy a mountain real estate
I live around there

Onefiver

Addicted to Softballfans
Uhm...ok.

Anyway, had some good workouts last week (forgot to log). I am also leaning out little by little.

Elbows are much better - I was sleeping with my arms tucked under me which was irritating the "funny bone" nerves. I've been mindful of watching that and it has cleared up. I am still going to keep some eccentric tricep work in as a precaution, but it is probably fine.

Shoulder feels good throwing. The stretching and reintroduction of perpendicular rowing seems to be doing the trick. Happy I was able to identify the issue.

I did some free weight squatting last week, but again stopped because the groin felt funny. I am getting a little bit more bold about it because it feels more grabby than painful, but the last thing I want to do is be gimpy during ball season. Baby steps.

After a long, long day at work, I thought about skipping the gym last night. But then I felt guilty so I did some leg work at home with my "trap bar" (more like my trap bracket - got it off CL - weird thing, but it is sufficient), one-legged SLDL, bodyweight lunges, etc. Everything felt pretty good....I wanted to add DBs to the lunges, but the groin was tweaky after the trap bar work so I just did a bunch of reps...meh. Some plyo jumping, too. Knees are feeling better day by day - if I can get a month of ART in (or keep on my roller at least once per day), my knees will be great.

Onefiver

Addicted to Softballfans
My hips were feeling tight from another long day of sitting yesterday (and not enough breaks walking, stretching and the like). It felt like the right glute was again in the process of going offline to some extent. And, at that point, I could not get loose with just stretching and rolling and could not get the glute to feel right with the normal bodyweight stuff. So, I hit the gym to do an abbreviated leg workout (a few hard sets, a lot less volume and not grinding out any reps at the end of a set). I also tossed in some upper body work as I would not likely be able to hit the gym until this weekend - again, nothing overly taxing. I didn't go balls to the walls as I am subbing tonight (Thurs) and want to be somewhat fresh. I did about 5 sets of some lighter power cleans early in the workout to warm up (groin held up fine). Got some weird feelings in the groin at the end of the workout, but it feels pretty good today and there is no additional bruising.

Lower body feels good today. Upper body feels good too - right tri is a little sore as I slept with my right arm tucked under me last night (gotta break that stupid habit - thought I did, but I guess not completely :mad: ).

Onefiver

Addicted to Softballfans
Couldn't make it to the gym yesterday as I was flying solo with the kiddos in the afternoon and the gym "daycare" (or whatever it is called) closes earlier in the day on Sundays. I still wanted to get some work in and since my home gym is not quite complete, I decided to roll out the ol' P90X Chest & Back DVD. I was substantially stronger compared to the last time I did the DVD, but was not used to moving between exercises so fast...got a little nauseous, but had that post-exercise high that was much higher and lasted longer than from what I have been doing lately. It was fun to switch it up a little.

Onefiver

Addicted to Softballfans
I have been playing more ball lately than working out. It has not been regular enough to get a good workout plan fixed in place (family, ball, gym, work, summer break, etc are challenging to balance sometimes). Still getting at it 2-3 times per week, but certainly more of a maintenance mode than going at it hard. Knees, groin, shoulder are causing few, if any troubles. I am still sleeping on my elbows in a bad way on occasion, so I am still having some occasional funny bone issues, but nothing major - I really need a new matress...pillow tops are not for me.

Getting the shoulder right in particular has helped me swing the bat much better. Still hitting hard, but keeping the ball down. I tended to pop up a lot when trying to protect the shoulder whilst swining the bat. I have had very few pop ups lately and those that I do are from poor pitch selection. When I subbed this spring I went 9/11 in 3 games and hit .750 in the last u-trip touney I played. Mostly singles or doubles with the occasional burn the OF triple. No more HRs, but the BA is way up so I will take it. Getting more grounders and low liners now from a more level swing, but more often than not they are hard enough to get through the infield that I get on. Best stretch in a long while - I would like to think that is the new norm for me, but I doubt it - the doubt will at least fuel me to keep hitting bp and hitting the gym.

I have about 2-3 weeks until summer league starts with no touney scheduled in the immediate future, so gym will be increased at least for now.

Nietzsche

Drowned God
I studied nutrition. I work with patients with serious illnesses and chronic conditions.

Yet something is amiss about your nutrition.

Conventional dairy is highly problematic. So too is consuming excessive amounts of conventionally raised animal based protein.

Even from organic sources eating too much of it is leads to acidosis and causes an inflammatory terrain.

The dossier of chronic aches and pains means something is wrong and what you're currently doing is not helping.

Just an FYI.

Onefiver

Addicted to Softballfans
Most of my issues are strength imbalances and/or residual effects from past catastrophic injuries that I tried to work through rather than address properly. Polishing up on the ol' kinesiology has helped improve or eliminate almost all of the issues.

Nevertheless, I appreciate the comment and am always revamping the diet and now is as good of a time as any to look at it again. Though, I wish I could simply afford some of the changes you are implying as that would be my preference. Single income, family of five makes it hard...especially in this economy.

Nietzsche

Drowned God
Dark green leafy vegetables are still cheaper than meat.

A whole lot less satisfying for sure while yielding more nutrient density per oz than beef.

Fiber, calcium, vitamin a,c,d,e,k, chlorophyll.....just for starters. Of course it needs to be the right vegetables for your body. Not everyone can benefit from a blanket diet.