My Nokona Project

Trung1130

FREE AGENT FOR LIFE
Both Thumb and Pink Loops are gone. interior palm lining dry rotted with some multiple rips and tears.
See for yourself.

Customer asked me to bring this glove back to life so he can pass it down to his son.

Note the memory foam thumb and pinky padding with leather glued to it. No plastic inserts in either the thumb or pinky.

More pics to follow tomorrow night.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
If they are willing to pay for it, Nokona can replace the lining, padding, and relace for about $115. I just relaced a BM-76 in worse shape. It had been sitting in a basement for 15 years and the leather was petrified. No amount of Lexol helped to soften it at all. I got it ready for the shelf, although the owner was thinking about using it some more.

If you don't want to make new pads (and the owner intends to use it), you can call Nokona and see if they will send you come new ones for this model (AMG175?).

Good luck!!! Can't wait to see how it comes out.

Trung1130

FREE AGENT FOR LIFE
Inner lining was petrified. I will be replacing the padding with the F1 Felt and a plastic insert in the thumb and pinky.

There a couple of tears on the interior lining holes of the palm lace but that's an easy fix when I add a palm pad and piece of cowhide and re-punch the holes in the leather and have it sandwiched in between the original leather. As for the remaining interior lining I just reapply vaseline to it and its starting to soften now.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
I think I even tried some Glovesmith Glove Honey (pure lanolin oil). Still hard as a rock. Godspeed.

With F1, you might not even need much in the way of inserts. That stuff is stiff.

Hacksaw34

Addicted to Softballfans
Good luck bro I'm excited to see the final product. For the really dry and cracked leather on mine I found some saddle restorer and water proofer, really brought some life back into it

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
I have been using some really good leather conditioner for car seats, it works really well' will get the name for you and post it after work bro.

ghosted

Starting Player
Any updates on this? I just picked up a dated Nokona AMG 500 which is going to be my first restoration project. I conditioned the glove today and am amazed at how quickly the feel of the leather came back. I have to work on the cracks in the lining next.

Where did you source your F1 felt? What type of plastic is used for finger inserts when needed?

Trung1130

FREE AGENT FOR LIFE
IMG_19591_zpse238f254.jpg

IMG_19571_zpsbe3d2d57.jpg

IMG_19581_zps4102e651.jpg

IMG_19561_zpsfa150e06.jpg

IMG_19601_zps44be962c.jpg

IMG_19611_zps4bbc0739.jpg

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Nice job.

I did something similar on another BM-76. The strip of leather went between the layers to give the palm lace something more substantial to grab. The fact that they open up so much makes it a bit easier to work on them.

during1_zps2ae227eb.jpg

Trung1130

FREE AGENT FOR LIFE
I am not a big fan of Nokona laces their Basket web. I am going to do it similar to the standard way and some of the nokona way

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Web works out easier/better with 3/16" lace. It took a few to finally get the knack. You can sort of tell the experience of the Nokona workers on this point. I have one that looks amazing. I cannot figure out how they got the two laces to do what they did, but one other glove looks worse than what I can do.

Trung1130

FREE AGENT FOR LIFE
Its much softer then it was before after at least 10 coats of conditioner and the overnighting in the fridge. The petrification is almost completely gone. Some of the edges are still petrified. I told the customer I didnt want to get into the intricate work of sewing new pieces to patch up the palm so I left as is except for where I need the holes to be reinforced for the palm lace. I did what you did. It was a fun process.