My pitcher got welcome into our new league the wrong way

DWAChampions

Addicted to Softballfans
I know this has been a topic talked about 100,000,000,000,000's of times but..............

My team just made the switch from ASA to USSSA, and in the 6 years i have played ( both ASA and USSSA), I have never seen so many hits back up the middle in one game then i did last night. One of the guys on my team hit it back to the pitcher once and when he got to first said my bad pitch. after that between the next 3 innings i seen at least 6 hits right back to the middle. The kicker about all this is i know this team could hit the ball where ever they wanted to.

Is going back up the middle that common in U trip?

copper1150

DO OVER!!!
I know this has been a topic talked about 100,000,000,000,000's of times but..............

My team just made the switch from ASA to USSSA, and in the 6 years i have played ( both ASA and USSSA), I have never seen so many hits back up the middle in one game then i did last night. One of the guys on my team hit it back to the pitcher once and when he got to first said my bad pitch. after that between the next 3 innings i seen at least 6 hits right back to the middle. The kicker about all this is i know this team could hit the ball where ever they wanted to.

Is going back up the middle that common in U trip?

Yeah flatter shorter pitch makes people go up the middle

froglodge32

Addicted to Softballfans
It's common everywhere I've played especially if one gets sent at them first... As a matter of fact a team we played earlier in the year had a douchebag pitcher and was getting pissed at us for hitting the ball over top him it was clearing his head by easily 3-4ft and he was bitching. If he would've turned around he would've definitely realized why everybody was the center gap was huge. But best bet is probably to have your pitcher get some kind of mask just to be safe and try to avoid hitting middle first regardless if it's a dribbler or line drive.

DWAChampions

Addicted to Softballfans
I wasn't sure, like i said i have played U trip before but have never really seen guys hit up the middle that much in one game. I may have seen it more last night then i have in all 6 years combined. After last night i wouldn't be surprised if he has already got one on order. Is there one mask better then the other or are they all pretty much the same? or is there any advice to give him after he pitches?

marshall

Addicted to Softballfans
Yeah don't throw outside. And in all seriousness, if he can manage to snap off a few of the first few shots hit back at him, they'll usually stop.

froglodge32

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm not a pitcher but if i was I'd probably get the worth pitching helmet just because it covers more of the head than say the combat faceoff... But anuything is better than nothing especially if they like hitting middle on him

DTF #23

Addicted to Softballfans
I wasn't sure, like i said i have played U trip before but have never really seen guys hit up the middle that much in one game. I may have seen it more last night then i have in all 6 years combined. After last night i wouldn't be surprised if he has already got one on order. Is there one mask better then the other or are they all pretty much the same? or is there any advice to give him after he pitches?

If he can learn to backpedal a couple steps and get in the fielding position, he might be able to snag some of the liners and hard grounders, and they'll likely stop trying to go middle

marshall

Addicted to Softballfans
A middle war on league night, good times.

Yeah, when I used to pitch all the time in league, I had a rule: If you want to start a middlewar by either running your mouth or going at the pitcher with the intent to hurt him, then you're pitching.

I don't care if you go back up the box on me, but I'll be damned if I'm going to stand there and let 10 guys get a shot at me because some idiot on my team wants to run his mouth from the field or start a middlewar on purpose. I'm bound to miss one or fail to get out of the way. And we've all seen what can happen when pitchers get one in the head.

goldglover79

Nc Vinci player rep
Best advice i can give is EXPECT EVERY batter to hit middle. Try to keep it inside and as much arc as the ump will give you. I always take a couple steps back and get set. And never never never take your eye off the ball.

Mrboom

Best advice i can give is EXPECT EVERY batter to hit middle. Try to keep it inside and as much arc as the ump will give you. I always take a couple steps back and get set. And never never never take your eye off the ball.

Biggest thing I can add to this.. DON'T POSE!!!!!

We got a guy in our league who always throws a curve that ends up low and outside. His body steps towards the plate and he always just stands there to admire his work.

Pitch and get set, don't take it personal if the ball is hit back in your general direction.

rigsmidwest

T-Town Terror
Just a question I see your in the Toledo area what park did you play at and what time ? Might have been my team that you played .

DWAChampions

Addicted to Softballfans
at one point we did run a five man and it still happened. I did forget to mention we are the new young team in this league. ( but have played together for 4 years now in asa)

rigsmidwest

T-Town Terror
Yeah I think you played us we had the gray and black pin striped jerseys . You guys have a good group of young players you just got a bad draw on your first night . I was playing CF . Your team will be good out there there is only 1 other team that will use the whole field like that . You guys will mercy a bunch of the other teams .

rigsmidwest

T-Town Terror
We probably shouldn't be in the league but we are just a bunch of buddies that can only play together Sunday nights. It's bunch of usssa D & C players , and the old guy pitching won worlds 3 years ago .

DWAChampions

Addicted to Softballfans
yup it was you guys then haha. by no means am i trying to start anything or talk a bunch of ****, i just wanted to ask besides i think our pitcher started to get used to it. I know about Redbox i played coed with one of the guys out there earlier in the day. I was the one catching the first game.

Last edited by a moderator:

rigsmidwest

T-Town Terror
yup it was you guys then haha. by no means am i trying to start anything or talk a bunch of sh*t, i just wanted to ask besides i think our pitcher started to get used to it. I know about Redbox i played coed with one of the guys out there earlier in the day. I was the one catching the first game.

It's all good man we are just out there messing around and having a good time . But yeah guys on redbox will use that part of the field as well . If you start playing tourneys and you play 4 inf there will be a lot of balls back up middle .

Lets clarify pitch and get set. I have seen so many guys get set by getting low and keeping their glove down. Get low but get your glove up by your face. A shot to the shin, knee, or gut will heal in time. A blast to the face and your family might be crying over your death. I too have see the "pose" and as a pitcher I always try and give the other pitcher a heads up.

But dont be so scared to throw outside. Use it to your advantage. We played tonight and by throwing outside I forced 4 guys up the middle for 2 double plays and I picked 2 my self. Is it scarry when a masher is up there and you drop one on the outer half? Eff an A it is but dont let the other team see you are scared. Keep chuckin outside and be ready.

phxraida15

Addicted to Softballfans
Utrip you got to expect some middle shots... Especially if you have a 4 man outfield...
Faster, lower pitches= middle shots... If you want some form of protection, roll with a 5 man....

rigsmidwest

T-Town Terror
5 man helps but if your not positioned right you might as well be on the bench . It's nice to get up and see 3 guys on the left side of the infield .