My team ganged up on me last night (coach issue)

GloveJunky

The Rookie
What's bad in rec is when a guy says, "Oh...that's my best position" and they're the fifth best player on the team at that position...

and they're a liability in other positions too...

If he's the fifth best player at that position, then obviously it's something HE needs to deal with, and part of the burden of being a coach/manager is being the guy who has to deliver that crappy news: "Sorry Joe, I know you're here to play SS, but you've got a fat hole in your glove and I've got four other guys who don't. I'll get you some time there - since it's rec ball - but it won't be much."

There was about 15plus guys

With 15+ guys, no big deal bailing I guess. Still, it's a small world and I *hate* burning bridges. Putting a chick at SS in a men's league though... that's just !@#*ed up unless she went to college on a fastpitch scholarship.

I would exit the team (albeit with a little more notice and only after offering to help organize things) and would just say I wanted no part of a chick getting killed at SS. Assuming this is a men's comp league and not rec, these guys are going to get assblasted sideways.

We played one such team last week. Dudes were clueless. They had one solid player on their team at 3B, but everyone else was borderline comical. For instance, shot hit to 2B with runner on 1B. SS just stands there and watches the play unfold, totally oblivious to his responsibility at the bag. There were probably 7 or 8 strikeouts due to whiffed swings alone... that doesn't count all of the SO's due to them getting a backwards K. This is one-pitch, mind you!

It was like they gave up on actually hitting the ball, so they were trying to walk. In men's comp! Damn, if I can reach the ball I'm swinging at the darn thing!

george

Addicted to Softballfans
The first batter could not hit it past second base. The one right fielder did not even move when they hit a ball to right field over his head..... He said he did not see where it was hit. The catcher took the mask off each time he threw the ball back to the pitcher. The out fielders were playin 5 - 10 feet from the fence I tried to say something the coaches response was they don't listen to me.

BBBD1969

Bigger than the game.
So, we are in almost last place in the Co Ed Fall Ball league, after two games where we were mercied twice. I advised the team that we would insitute a new policy of emphasizing competition over losing. I asked the team to work on some skills development. The stronger players would play and the weaker players would sub in at 1/2 time. The players that didn't perform would be benched in favour of the subs. Well it turns out the team had a meeting and advised they didn't want it that way. They don't want my coach's advice unless they ask for it and everyone plays exactly the same amount. I agreed to the demands , didn't have much choice. I still want to win how do I get this team to win.

Sometimes on the way to that coveted league championship reality steps in and mucks things up. :)

You're not going to whip Barney, Fred, Wilma and Betty into softball all-stars in 16 games (or however many you have). If the team is just not good better to just play for fun, get people their PT and be done with it. Maybe next year you can enter a lower league with the hope that you win some games and that kinda gets people's competitive fires going so they understand that yeah, softball is fun but it's even "funner" when you win.

Good luck.

funfitfriendly

Starting Player
So here's the update, some good advice offered on this forum which i do appreciate. However, for the guys that said I'm not fun, though all I can say is that you don't know me come to my next team bar b que and you can hear my AC/DC impression of Brian Johnson singing "You Shook Me'. I decided to take it easier on the team and just chill out more. If we won or lose no big deal. Well we lost again the other night, mercied after 5 innings. The team did seem more relaxed about losing. I do a little write up after every game and email it out to all members of the team, its called Coach's Corner". I only focused on the positive and noted a special mention of good plays. Well the team is definitely happier and not calling for my resignation hmmmm but underneath I still want to win Maybe I will change things up next year but my advise to other coach's mangers don't change the team philosphy half way through the season, it won't work. Mutiny does not just happen in politics or on sailing ships its also on the ball field.

ktown808

The Unknowns
find a new team. i'd probably be on the side of the rest of your team. you want to win, they want to play. if you were my coach i'd find a different team next year. no hard feelings, but even if i'm one of the better players that never sits, you don't sound like fun to play for.

Wait a minute when I paid for the team bar b que out of my own pocket and everyone partied at my beach front property noone said I wasn't fun to play for, its all in the timing. I do like what one of the guys said on here about bad players play for fun and good players play to win. I did bat 1000 for the last game, so its not like I'm one of the bad players.

Batting 1.000 in a game that lasted 5 innings isn't something to brag about.

So here's the update, some good advice offered on this forum which i do appreciate. However, for the guys that said I'm not fun, though all I can say is that you don't know me come to my next team bar b que and you can hear my AC/DC impression of Brian Johnson singing "You Shook Me'. I decided to take it easier on the team and just chill out more. If we won or lose no big deal. Well we lost again the other night, mercied after 5 innings. The team did seem more relaxed about losing. I do a little write up after every game and email it out to all members of the team, its called Coach's Corner". I only focused on the positive and noted a special mention of good plays. Well the team is definitely happier and not calling for my resignation hmmmm but underneath I still want to win Maybe I will change things up next year but my advise to other coach's mangers don't change the team philosphy half way through the season, it won't work. Mutiny does not just happen in politics or on sailing ships its also on the ball field.

The way you act at a BBQ are obviously different from the way you act at a co-ed rec softball game so maybe the "problem" starts there.

As for your Coach's Corner, I am pretty sure your team laughs about it(cause they want to have fun) but it's a valiant effort. As said earlier, co-ed rec usually doesn't have "coaches," just guys that make the lineup(which pretty much anyone can do) and that's all.

kjlee85

Whens the next barbeque?

eric89074

Addicted to Softballfans
You shouldn't take co-ed ball too serious, but if you're getting your ass kicked every week and getting four ABs in two games that gets old fast.