Need advice on airing out a glove.......

MaverickAH

So, I always wanted to pick up a Wilson A3000 for my glove collection. I lucked out & picked one up off the 'Bay for a good price. The glove is in excellent condition. It's practically NWOT. There's no evidence of it being conditioned & other than being improperly stored, I highly doubt that it's been used at all.........

The one problem? It smells like it was stored in an ashtray!!! :( I've never smoked so I have no experience with removing the smell from anything. Outside of airing it out for a while, is there anything else to be done?

Jchap

I have read about storing gloves for 2-3 weeks in a plastic bag with coffee grounds, to remove the smoke smell. I have not personally done this, though.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
The freezer trick is for mildew, not smoke.

You gotta take it apart and pull out the thumb and pinkie pads. You can wash those with Woolite if they smell bad. Then make a mixture of 50/50 white vinegar and water. Just wipe the glove down with the mixture (inside and out). It may take 3-4 wipe downs. After that, Lexol cleaner and finally Lexol conditioner. Even with really smelly gloves like you are describing, I've been able to get the smell down 90%+. If that is not enough, I'd go with the coffee beans. When I heard some advice about removing smell from a car, it was to fill a couple of cookie sheets with coffee beans, put them in the oven to 300 deg and then place the trays in the footwells for a couple days. Not sure you want to put your glove in 350deg coffee beans! But Maybe you could heat up the beans and then put the glove in them after they cool to 110deg. Or just seal the glove in a box with the hot coffee beans.

And then let us know how it goes!

A Cy 617

Dad, Fire fighter, bat flipper.
What I did once, that worked..

Dunk, let it dry, lexol, repeat again once more.

Good luck either way, keep us updated.

NYC

Swag on 100.
91PvDzs%2BZWL._SY550SX422_SY550_CR,0,0,422,550_PIbundle-12,TopRight,0,0_SX422_SY550_CR,0,0,422,550_SH20_.jpg

the baking soda you use to air out a stinky fridge, open the little trap door, stick both in a plastic bag and it should be good in a couple days.
Just curious which a3000 did you get? I always wanted the Bonds exo glove.

Kodiak1

Addicted to Softballfans
The freezer trick is for mildew, not smoke.

You gotta take it apart and pull out the thumb and pinkie pads. You can wash those with Woolite if they smell bad. Then make a mixture of 50/50 white vinegar and water. Just wipe the glove down with the mixture (inside and out). It may take 3-4 wipe downs. After that, Lexol cleaner and finally Lexol conditioner. Even with really smelly gloves like you are describing, I've been able to get the smell down 90%+. If that is not enough, I'd go with the coffee beans. When I heard some advice about removing smell from a car, it was to fill a couple of cookie sheets with coffee beans, put them in the oven to 300 deg and then place the trays in the footwells for a couple days. Not sure you want to put your glove in 350deg coffee beans! But Maybe you could heat up the beans and then put the glove in them after they cool to 110deg. Or just seal the glove in a box with the hot coffee beans.

And then let us know how it goes!

All I know is leaving my leather coat out in the freezing cold after a smoky bar night wiped it out like magic. Yes, people used to be able to smoke in bars...lol

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
All I know is leaving my leather coat out in the freezing cold after a smoky bar night wiped it out like magic. Yes, people used to be able to smoke in bars...lol

You know, it might work, but I have only heard of the freezer trick for mildew. Time for some experimentation!

bigmac25

Extra Hitter
If you start smoking you won't even notice it. :D
That happened to me! i got my 1st glove in trade and boy, did that thing smell like smoke. NOTHING i did would take it away. Finally I just said screw it and started smoking and that worked great! i cant smell the glove ( or much else ) anymore. Guaranteed to work 100%

MaverickAH

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

Some of the smell has already dissipated after a day of airing out. I think that I'm going to try the dryer sheets method first. They say to try it on low or no heat with about 3 tennis balls & 6 dryer sheets. I will also try the baking soda method as well. I also found a method that recommends using newspaper as the loose fibers will absorb the smell.

My first reaction is to try the non-chemical methods first. Do no harm.........

Rous,
This glove is right up your alley! It's a K34 (12.5") basket web w/open back. If I were planning on actually using it, it would definitely be going to you for some "improvements"........

Fun Facts about the Wilson A3000
  • The only glove series that Wilson made from kip leather.
  • The EXO skeleton was designed to add shape maintenance to the fingers.
  • It was, for a short period of time, Wilson's top-of-the-line.
  • Wilson continued to make them for their Pro's after the line was discontinued to the public.
Now I've heard that there were also some A2000's made out of kip leather but I don't think that it was a standard practice. I do have a Pro Issue A2000 that I'm now going to have to do some investigation about. I always assumed that it was an A2000 built with A2K level leather but based on it feeling very similar to this A3000, I may have to revisit that assumption.

Kodiak1

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks for all of the suggestions!

Some of the smell has already dissipated after a day of airing out. I think that I'm going to try the dryer sheets method first. They say to try it on low or no heat with about 3 tennis balls & 6 dryer sheets. I will also try the baking soda method as well. I also found a method that recommends using newspaper as the loose fibers will absorb the smell.

My first reaction is to try the non-chemical methods first. Do no harm.........

Rous,
This glove is right up your alley! It's a K34 (12.5") basket web w/open back. If I were planning on actually using it, it would definitely be going to you for some "improvements"........

Fun Facts about the Wilson A3000
  • The only glove series that Wilson made from kip leather.
  • The EXO skeleton was designed to add shape maintenance to the fingers.
  • It was, for a short period of time, Wilson's top-of-the-line.
  • Wilson continued to make them for their Pro's after the line was discontinued to the public.
Now I've heard that there were also some A2000's made out of kip leather but I don't think that it was a standard practice. I do have a Pro Issue A2000 that I'm now going to have to do some investigation about. I always assumed that it was an A2000 built with A2K level leather but based on it feeling very similar to this A3000, I may have to revisit that assumption.

I think he meant dryer sheets, not in the dryer...I don't think anyone would recommend that

Soxfan8

Starting Player
The method I read did say to use the dryer.......

I think you could just stuff it with some dryer sheets and set it in front of a box fan on high while you're at work, and see what happens when you get home. Tumbling around in the dryer seems like it could effect the glove's shape.

MaverickAH

UPDATE:

I let the glove air out naturally for a little over a week. A lot of the smell seemed to dissipate. I then used to dryer sheets & tennis balls method on the pocket & internally, sans dryer, for a week. The smell is almost completely gone. It's amazing how much of the smell was absorbed by the tennis ball fuzz! I am now in the process of treating the back of the glove. Hopefully, that'll finish the job.

Thanks to all who offered advice!

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
UPDATE:

I let the glove air out naturally for a little over a week. A lot of the smell seemed to dissipate. I then used to dryer sheets & tennis balls method on the pocket & internally, sans dryer, for a week. The smell is almost completely gone. It's amazing how much of the smell was absorbed by the tennis ball fuzz! I am now in the process of treating the back of the glove. Hopefully, that'll finish the job.

Thanks to all who offered advice!

Neat trick. Thanks for the update.