Need advice on Wilson A2000 vs A1500 vs Onyx - Help!

LCumbie

Purchased a used A2000 per advice. Thanks for all who offered assistance!

My daughter is a junior in HS and is verbally committed to a school that has a deal with Wilson. She currently uses a Mizuno MVP Select and I want to switch her now so she can get used to a Wilson glove pattern.
So...since she will receive a school glove in about 18 months, I don't see the point in buying a brand new A2K or A2000. Consequently, I am thinking on the option of a new A1500 or Onyx.

I don't know enough about the construction differences to know whether the A1500 or Onyx are similar enough to provide the desired feel. In other words, if the main difference is the material and its longevity but the feel is the same, I think the A1500 or Onyx will accomplish what we want but if not, I will get a used A2K or A2000.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

dford42

Addicted to Softballfans
I'd just get a used A2000. The materials are going to be drastically different giving it a completely different feel from an A2000

DatDuke

For Baseball, A1K is much better than a A1500. If you want a new Wilson Glove to try out their pattern and dont want to break the bank, Check out the A1Ks. Not sure if they offer Softball pattern thought. But I agree with dford with Softball use, get a used A2000 or A2K if you dont mind preown.

Drumbum37

Addicted to Softballfans
I'd go with used a2000 as well. A1000 or a1k would be alright, but a2000 would be a better option. There's oodles of good used a2000s out there.

LCumbie

Okay, the consensus is a used A2000!!
Now....where do I get one?
Looked on eBay and almost nothing there for used fastpitch a2000, lots of baseball. I'm new so I don't quite get the marketplace model here yet. Any help is appreciated.

etnstudios

Addicted to Softballfans
what size/pattern is she using now? once we get that, we may be able to help steer you towards certain patterns that are similar

LCumbie

I'm not sure what you mean by pattern. I'm not that knowledgeable about gloves but learning.

Currently an Mizuno MVP Prime Fastpitch Series 11.5" Trident Web Glove. She really likes it although it is showing some wear in that balls are starting to pop out a little. I seem to remember (from yesterday video by Aso) that has something to do with the leather losing its elasticity or fibers stretching or something.
Plays short now, coach specified she would play short for her, so focus on that position I guess.

LCumbie

what size/pattern is she using now? once we get that, we may be able to help steer you towards certain patterns that are similar

Savalicious has an a2000 1796 partially broken in for girls softball. Any thoughts on how that would work? (Looks like we're almost neighbors!)

MaverickAH

My daughter is a junior in HS and is verbally committed to a school that has a deal with Wilson. She currently uses a Mizuno MVP Select and I want to switch her now so she can get used to a Wilson glove pattern.
So...since she will receive a school glove in about 18 months, I don't see the point in buying a brand new A2K or A2000. Consequently, I am thinking on the option of a new A1500 or Onyx.

I don't know enough about the construction differences to know whether the A1500 or Onyx are similar enough to provide the desired feel. In other words, if the main difference is the material and its longevity but the feel is the same, I think the A1500 or Onyx will accomplish what we want but if not, I will get a used A2K or A2000.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance.

First things first........... CONGRATULATIONS!!!! ;)

Okay........ Just because the school has a deal with Wilson now doesn't necessarily mean that they will have a deal with Wilson a year & a half from now. Just a cautionary tale..........

Wilson is pretty consistent with their patterns up & down their line. A particular pattern is going to be the same. Just the materials used are going to change. Of course, if the materials are lessened beyond a certain point, it will affect the glove's performance so you don't want to go too far down.

Beyond that, I'm not trying to spend your money but since she worked hard & earned a free ride for a college education, why not spring for the cost of a new glove no matter what she might be getting for free down the road? That way it would be broken in for her hand & to her preferences. Now if money is really tight for you, I understand.

MaverickAH

FYI:

I just got an email this am on a really great deal at baseball monkey on A1K's that you may want to consider. 70% off!
I'm not sure what you mean by pattern. I'm not that knowledgeable about gloves but learning.

Currently an Mizuno MVP Prime Fastpitch Series 11.5" Trident Web Glove. She really likes it although it is showing some wear in that balls are starting to pop out a little. I seem to remember (from yesterday video by Aso) that has something to do with the leather losing its elasticity or fibers stretching or something.
Plays short now, coach specified she would play short for her, so focus on that position I guess.

Started a 'Convo' with you. Time sensitive............;)

LCumbie

Thanks! I really appreciate it. It's very nice to have such a great network to offer help!

We have located a used 11.75" A2000 that will work very well.