Need advice

Red ranger

Starting Player
I've been playing for 10+ years now and always invested in bats, bags, cleats, etc but never really put the money into a good quality glove. I play ss and middle two nights a week in league ball, weekend NSA, and all over the country on the law enforcement circuit... I've pretty much decided I want to go with the a2000 in 11.75 or 12 but outside of that, can I get some recommendations for model, web, etc from the experts

MaverickAH

I've been playing for 10+ years now and always invested in bats, bags, cleats, etc but never really put the money into a good quality glove. I play ss and middle two nights a week in league ball, weekend NSA, and all over the country on the law enforcement circuit... I've pretty much decided I want to go with the a2000 in 11.75 or 12 but outside of that, can I get some recommendations for model, web, etc from the experts

Good, solid suggestions for you so far. The only patterns I would add to the mix is the G5, the L & the GG47.

G5: I believe that this is a fairly new pattern. I have no experience with it but it looks solid. 11.75"
L: A pitcher's pattern & a favorite of mine. A deep pocket that transfers well to softball middle infield. 11.75"
GG47: Another pitcher's pattern that's a 1/2" bigger. 12.25"

First thing that you need to do is decide how much you want to spend. Now's a good time to find a deal if you're looking for a stock glove since it's the off season. Definitely buy new or damn near close to new!

Personally, if I were you, I'd treat myself! :D I'd be looking to get a custom model in classic tan & I'd make sure to get it "pro stiff". Going custom also opens you up to patterns that are not currently available on stock gloves.

Good luck!

Red ranger

Starting Player
Thanks for the suggestions! The only one I've actually been able to put my hands on is the DW5 superskin. I liked it but for $250 I'd like to feel out a few more options and get opinions from guys more experienced in high end gloves

Party mafia

The Rawlings pro1000hc in a 12 inches h web is another great choice for SS, since the pocket is pretty wide for being a 12 inches.

Committed

There has been a ton of 11.75" & 12" Wilson A2K gloves selling on the bay of fleas the past two weeks for under $200.

I would go to a local store and try on any and all gloves you can. The gentlemen on the boards can assist further once you have narrowed it down.

Figure out what color, size and web you like/want and there will be plenty of options for great prices now. Must manufactures are selling old stock for 25% discounts.

Good luck and happy glove hunting!

MaverickAH

Thanks for the suggestions! The only one I've actually been able to put my hands on is the DW5 superskin. I liked it but for $250 I'd like to feel out a few more options and get opinions from guys more experienced in high end gloves

If you don't mind me asking....... What are you currently using? How much ae you looking to spend?

That'll help to give us an idea of what you like pattern-wise & style-wise.

Also if you're not completely married to Wilson, that'll open up your options. There are a lot of good brands out there. If $250 is a bit rich for your blood, between now & Presidents Day is an ideal time to try & pick up a new glove. There should be quite a few deals currently going on or coming up. Just do your homework & keep your eyes open! The sale board here is also a viable alternative.

ShortYellowBus

Good, solid suggestions for you so far. The only patterns I would add to the mix is the G5, the L & the GG47.

G5: I believe that this is a fairly new pattern. I have no experience with it but it looks solid. 11.75"
L: A pitcher's pattern & a favorite of mine. A deep pocket that transfers well to softball middle infield. 11.75"
GG47: Another pitcher's pattern that's a 1/2" bigger. 12.25"

First thing that you need to do is decide how much you want to spend. Now's a good time to find a deal if you're looking for a stock glove since it's the off season. Definitely buy new or damn near close to new!

Personally, if I were you, I'd treat myself! :D I'd be looking to get a custom model in classic tan & I'd make sure to get it "pro stiff". Going custom also opens you up to patterns that are not currently available on stock gloves.

Good luck!

An expensive t-ball sized glove for pitching? Thanks, but I want an extra inch and a half that would possibly save my life.

I agree with everything else. Great advice.

Red ranger

Starting Player
If you don't mind me asking....... What are you currently using? How much ae you looking to spend?

That'll help to give us an idea of what you like pattern-wise & style-wise.

Also if you're not completely married to Wilson, that'll open up your options. There are a lot of good brands out there. If $250 is a bit rich for your blood, between now & Presidents Day is an ideal time to try & pick up a new glove. There should be quite a few deals currently going on or coming up. Just do your homework & keep your eyes open! The sale board here is also a viable alternative.

I currently use a cheap Demarini 11.5 trapeze web. My other glove was stolen 2 years ago and didn't have a backup so I bought that one only because it came basically broken in from the factory and needed something game ready. As for price, I'm willing to go up to $250 or so.

I'm just not real sure on the difference in models and webs outside of color and size.

pkc31887

Addicted to Softballfans
i have an NP5 that is 12 ". Its an I web and for someone who likes a smaller glove in softball, this is probably the smallest i would suggest. The demarini insane 11.5 is going to feel much larger than an 11.5" made for baseball such as a 1788 or dp15. im going to be moving the NP5, if you are interested, send me a PM. It will be a cheaper option than buying a newer glove that you arent even sure if you will like.

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
i have an NP5 that is 12 ". Its an I web and for someone who likes a smaller glove in softball, this is probably the smallest i would suggest. The demarini insane 11.5 is going to feel much larger than an 11.5" made for baseball such as a 1788 or dp15. im going to be moving the NP5, if you are interested, send me a PM. It will be a cheaper option than buying a newer glove that you arent even sure if you will like.

Last night I was going to suggest a NP5 or NP6 but didn't because the OP said he wanted to stick with a A2000. If he wanted to try a Rawlings, Party Mafia's Pro1000-HC suggestion is another great option, although an expensive one!

If I was dead set on a Wilson, I'd look for a 1781 like etnstudios suggested.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Could someone explain the difference or advantages/disadvantages to the web design?

Most of the difference is the width of the web. Basket webs are often the widest, then H-webs and I-webs, single posts, and modified traps are narrower. Then again, Rawlings recently redesigned their single post to be wider and Wilson H-webs seem to be often as narrow as their I-webs so take all of this with a grain of salt. In baseball, shortstops and 2nd baseman typically prefer a narrower web so that the pocket stays smaller and shallower (and some glove patterns are shallower too). With a 12" softball, that is usually not needed. That is why the h-web is so popular for softball. The Wilson EL3 and DW5 are both known for having larger deeper pockets, even though they are infield gloves. Same goes for the Wilson 1781 (I web).

Also, infielders tend to prefer open webs so dirt more easily falls through instead of being trapped (but Jeter used a basket web).

But mainly, it's the width that matters. 3/4" difference in width may not seem like much, but it can make a big difference when you are playing with a 12" softball.

moren025

Addicted to Softballfans
Picked up a NWT Rawlings Kyle Seager PRONP6-6JB H web (due to reading Annasdad’s postings about his) and it’s has a great feel to it. Would work perfect for the left side of the diamond if I was 10 to 15 years younger and still had some range or quicker reaction time. If interested, it is available.

Last edited:

MaverickAH

An expensive t-ball sized glove for pitching? Thanks, but I want an extra inch and a half that would possibly save my life.

I agree with everything else. Great advice.

Sooooo......... The OP asks for glove suggestions from 11.75" to 12" for playing middle infield & this is what you come at me with???!!! It's a baseball glove designed for a baseball pitcher. No one is even remotely talking about the pitching position in softball. We're talking about repurposing for softball.

Short Yellow Bus indeed............

ShortYellowBus

My pitcher got blown up by a pitch to the head. I saw this post and reacted in the moment.

For his birthday I bought him a nice 13.5” glove that he appreciated, but summarily dismissed. He said he was going to stick to his old reliable.

His glove of choice is an old Rawlings 11.5” that he truly enjoys.

Playing pitcher is his favorite spot. He has great reflexes and never missed a batted ball in his direction. Excellent fielder.

Wasn’t enough.

He had an outside pitch hit back at him, and he lost his balance. The ball hit the glove at the top of the web, and just slowed it down enough...but the seams on the ball cut his pitching hand and hit him right above the eye. He was trying to shield his face.

He’s fine now. And now he uses the bigger glove and a mask.

Red ranger

Starting Player
Most of the difference is the width of the web. Basket webs are often the widest, then H-webs and I-webs, single posts, and modified traps are narrower. Then again, Rawlings recently redesigned their single post to be wider and Wilson H-webs seem to be often as narrow as their I-webs so take all of this with a grain of salt. In baseball, shortstops and 2nd baseman typically prefer a narrower web so that the pocket stays smaller and shallower (and some glove patterns are shallower too). With a 12" softball, that is usually not needed. That is why the h-web is so popular for softball. The Wilson EL3 and DW5 are both known for having larger deeper pockets, even though they are infield gloves. Same goes for the Wilson 1781 (I web).

Also, infielders tend to prefer open webs so dirt more easily falls through instead of being trapped (but Jeter used a basket web).

But mainly, it's the width that matters. 3/4" difference in width may not seem like much, but it can make a big difference when you are playing with a 12" softball.

Thanks for the info. Very helpful in deciding what to go with. Now I just need to find a shop somewhere i can get my hands on some of the different models and see what I like.

Alacey303

Thanks for the info. Very helpful in deciding what to go with. Now I just need to find a shop somewhere i can get my hands on some of the different models and see what I like.
Good luck with that. I tried to do the same thing about a year ago and had no luck in Denver. Hopefully there is enough good info in this forum to guide your decision if needed.

huntaholic21

Addicted to Softballfans
Don’t sleep on the Mizuno pro select Fastpitch gloves. They are nicer than most stock heart of the hide or a2000. They make a 11.75 I web, that would be perfect for what you’re looking for. Designed for softball.

Last edited:

Red ranger

Starting Player
Just wanted to give an update... today I finally pulled the trigger on the 12.25 tdfthr. I wanted to stay 12 or under but the only other one I liked in that range was the dw5 superskin and I figured I'd rather have the extra quarter inch than to go with the awful bright red color of the dw5 lol. Thanks again to everyone for he help!