Need Help Picking a SB Glove

Hrking4675

The Veteran
Started playing some midweek slowpitch in addition to baseball this summer and picking a glove has been a pain thus far. I play SS and some 3B, and of course I want to have an OF glove in my bag. For baseball I play 2B and SS and use a 11 3/4 PRO200 for those. I bought a TF21 for slowpitch and I like it so far, but I feel its just not deep enough, I've had a few balls kick out and my hands just are not what they used to be. I am currently debating which of the PRO1000-SBF or SB125 to keep, but I wanted to see if anyone else could help me out here. The 1000-SBF just feels like too much glove and the hand opening is huge. I like the SB125, but I almost feel like I'd like that better as a small OF baseball glove.

Long story short... What's good for OF (not picky) What's good for SS/3B (REALLY picky).

Party mafia

As and 3rd base, ppl like the Vinci jd73-l as an if glove or the Rawlings pro 504.

For the of, wilson a2000 1799 or Rawlings pro 303 hoh 12.75 inches.

Wally Gator

Starting Player
Infield - PROJD-6. Stamped 12.75, but plays shorter and is nice and deep. There's a used one priced nicely here and I've got a nwot one if you want to go that route.

Outfield - PROJD 13" plays as stamped with the same deep pocket.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
These answers seem to be long as personal preference and physiology play such big roles. It is common to hear guys say they was a glove with a snug hand stall, but a large pocket. That is a tricky one for glove designers as the bigger the pocket, the hand stall has to be scaled up to fit around it. I envy guys who wear XL or XXL batting gloves because they can find a glove with a softball size pocket and it "fits like a glove."

The list of usual suspects for third base and SS include:

Rawlings PRO504, PRORV23. I think the hand stalls are big on both, so I like my PRO302-CVDM with its slightly longer fingers than a 504, but a smaller pocket and hand stall.

Wilson 1781 (same as TF21), SBF SB125, DW5 or EL3. But I think the 1781/TF21/SB125 chassis has the deepest pocket of all the Wilsons.

Mizuno GGE10 or GGE70. The GGE70 is the same chassis as the GMP70, but with an H web, the GGE measures 12.25" with a very deep pocket.

Nokona L-1200 (more like a PRO1000 in size, but hand stall not as large). If you can handle Velcro, I like the Nokona L-V1200 and L-V1250.

If you want a larger glove with a deeper pocket, find a Rawlings RV23 or 504, Mizuno GGE70, or Nokona L-V1250.

For outfield, if you like the Mizuno style outfield glove, the Louisville Slugger Pro Flares at 13" are nice. In the Wilson line I like the YP66 and among the Rawlings, the PRO302, PRO303, or 601 are popular. The Wilson 1799 and Nokona L-1300 are larger (as in the LS), but have larger hand stalls too.

For the record, I use a Glovesmith 1300USA in the outfield. It is based on the old Rawlings SG76 and measures a full 13" with a deep pocket.

Hrking4675

The Veteran
I do have the SP125, but considering returning both that and the 1000-SBF. The SP125 is awesome, but I'm concerned about it basically being the same as my TF21. I have a DW5 too and that's entirely too small. I think the 504 or JD from the pictures I've seen might be the in-between here?

I think for the OF I am going to do a 1799 or a 303 .

Infield is still the problem. Might order one of the 2017 JD's and give it a shot.

DatDuke

If ARod used it to play his last ending with the Yankees, how bad can it be? Great for 3rd base hard ball. I don't play softball, so I can't comment on that. ARod did ran down to his locker specifically to grab a RV23.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Speaking of teh RV23, if you do a side by side comparison with a Nokona BM-76, they are virtually identical patterns. So Rawlings made the RV23 by reverse engineering Robin Ventura's Louisville Slugger and I would be $100 that the LS designer had a BM-76 sitting next to him when they designed it. I'd love to find one of those Louisville Sluggers that Ventura used before he switched to Rawlings. (I think someone here posted a pic of one once).

$_35.JPG

s-l1600.jpg

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
I do have the SP125, but considering returning both that and the 1000-SBF. The SP125 is awesome, but I'm concerned about it basically being the same as my TF21. I have a DW5 too and that's entirely too small. I think the 504 or JD from the pictures I've seen might be the in-between here?

I think for the OF I am going to do a 1799 or a 303 .

Infield is still the problem. Might order one of the 2017 JD's and give it a shot.
I've added the TF21 to my IF rotation and haven't had any issues of the ball popping out (but I did shape it to thumb to pinky). I also roll bowl my middle index ring while I flare the thumb and pinky (but not as much as Cy). I'm working on the SP125 now with the same setup and it's looking like it'll be my 3B compliment to the MIF TF21.

I prefer smaller gloves but do understand they are vulnerable to having the ball pop out on the down and away backhand.

edvedsfb

Addicted to Softballfans
I like the Mizuno GGE70 for infield. Mine measures just a hair longer than 12.25 but the pocket is massively deep. Also, because of the softer leather with the global elite the ball will never flop out once the pocket softens a bit.

The options for outfield are pretty unlimited. Any H web 12.75 or larger would work. Trapz will work too but from my experience the longer trapz tend to play narrow (generally).

bigmac25

Extra Hitter
Here are some LS pics. I keep meaning to get this relaced but have yet to do so. Comparison pics are with a RV23 that should look VERY familiar to DatDuke:)
Also,a little off topic... we never did find out what this mystery glove pattern is- but if I knew I'd recommend it. The more I've messed with it, the more i've seen eerily similar to an RV23. The pattern being all palm with less fingers is IDENTICAL with an RV. If I could unlace and trace them both the 4 finger side would be a match. Heel is a little less wide (but that more due to the difference in the make of a 98 and a 2012), and the finger lace... but the gist is its AWESOME for 3b. Both share the SUPER fat pinkie as well. If I could find an RV web I'd swap it from the H for sure.
Sadly, I cant recommend because I dont know what it is...
Obviously I'm partial to the RV and someday will need to check out Rous's recommendation for the comparison to the Nokona.
Thank you for mentioning that again. I remember you'd said something in last years RV23 thread but I'd totally forgot. That'd be worth checking out!
Before the TF21 came out I thought that might be the glove that gets me to like Wilson. I dug it, but not enough to pick one up.
I'm happy for you guys who were disappointed by the tf21 can now feel content with a glove that is essentially what you felt that should be!!!
IMG_20160814_205216_zpsfmejcq7b.jpg~original

Although I dont play softball unless its filling in on a day I dont have a game, I know you guys take your gloves seriously and are very faithful to a few patterns that are deemed excellent softball patterns. It seems few models meet the required criteria, so I'm glad you guys added another you all like!!
IMG_20160814_205216_zpsfmejcq7b.jpg~original
[/URL][/IMG]
20160815_102512_zpscyrowosj.png~original
20160815_102512_zpscyrowosj.png~original
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_20160803_135739_zps9vwq5p3k.jpg~original
IMG_20160803_135739_zps9vwq5p3k.jpg~original
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_20160803_135718_zpsuvcqin6q.jpg~original
IMG_20160803_135718_zpsuvcqin6q.jpg~original
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

bigmac25

Extra Hitter
Rous, do you feel like rawlings did a good job on the reverse engineer?
Also, someone once said maybe they arent offered as a custom bc its a LS design.
Does that make sense? I think i'd be more inclined to think that if DMS didnt have 2 version to choose from currently..

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
I have not had one of the LS gloves in my hand, but it seems pretty clear that your LS is the model that became the RV23. Rawlings may be willing to quietly make a few RV23 for DMS without getting LS mad, but offering it as a custom may be a different ballgame. I did own one of the Horween RV23s and it was a pretty nice glove. Hand stall just too big for me. If Nokona would change the heel design on the AMG175/BM76 and revise the web (to a regular H web), it would be a real winner. The Nokona closed back design allows for a really nice custom fit. Better than the RV23 or many other gloves, IMO. And that AMG175 is just a beautiful glove. Here is one in the old buckskin.

palm_zpsca38d80f.jpg

bigmac25

Extra Hitter
I have not had one of the LS gloves in my hand, but it seems pretty clear that your LS is the model that became the RV23. Rawlings may be willing to quietly make a few RV23 for DMS without getting LS mad, but offering it as a custom may be a different ballgame. I did own one of the Horween RV23s and it was a pretty nice glove. Hand stall just too big for me. If Nokona would change the heel design on the AMG175/BM76 and revise the web (to a regular H web), it would be a real winner. The Nokona closed back design allows for a really nice custom fit. Better than the RV23 or many other gloves, IMO. And that AMG175 is just a beautiful glove. Here is one in the old buckskin.

palm_zpsca38d80f.jpg

As always, great input and thanks for the response and thoughts!!

Hrking4675

The Veteran
I think I am going to try and pound out the pocket on this TF21 a little more, but give the SB125 a shot. It such a sweet glove. I am intrigued by the JD pattern though. Of all the RV23's I've had the only one that fit my hand well I let go of well before I started playing softball.

OF I am leaning towards getting a custom 1799 at some point. Want to see if Wilson updates anything on their custom builder for the holiday / 2017 season.

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
OF I am leaning towards getting a custom 1799 at some point. Want to see if Wilson updates anything on their custom builder for the holiday / 2017 season.
Note that the A2000 1799 now has the double knot at the base. However, the A2K 1799 is still the single knot. I was told by a Wilson rep that the different factories (Vitletnam and Japan) use a different web pattern, thus the variation in knots.

bigmac25

Extra Hitter
I think I am going to try and pound out the pocket on this TF21 a little more, but give the SB125 a shot. It such a sweet glove. I am intrigued by the JD pattern though. Of all the RV23's I've had the only one that fit my hand well I let go of well before I started playing softball.

If it was that 6 one we discussed, that thing was tttiiinnnyyyy!!!! Did you order that one specially small, or did it just turn out that way? Seemed more like a 12 inch... or if a 12.25 rv23 actually plays 12.5 then maybe that was a true 12.25
I'd always wondered if that was intended to come out as such or if it was just a rv23 gift to normal/small hand guys from the baseball gods lol

thirdbase24

Addicted to Softballfans
When I first started playing softball I used my 11.5" PRO200. Mostly due to stubbornness and ego, I think haha. Figured I was good enough to keep using it because thats what I use in baseball (turns out I was not good enough...).
So now I use a 12" PRO1000 for softball infield, and love it...
but just this past season decided maybe something a little bigger might be good. So I'm breaking in a 12.25" PRO1000. I also have an SP125 on the way that I'm excited about - I'm hoping it can be a softball utility glove, but we will see. In the outfield, I currently use a 12.75 Glovesmith USA, and I love it.

For the record, I tried an RV23 in the infield for a while, and it just wasn't for me...

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
When I first started playing softball I used my 11.5" PRO200. Mostly due to stubbornness and ego, I think haha. Figured I was good enough to keep using it because thats what I use in baseball (turns out I was not good enough...).
So now I use a 12" PRO1000 for softball infield, and love it...
but just this past season decided maybe something a little bigger might be good. So I'm breaking in a 12.25" PRO1000. I also have an SP125 on the way that I'm excited about - I'm hoping it can be a softball utility glove, but we will see. In the outfield, I currently use a 12.75 Glovesmith USA, and I love it.

For the record, I tried an RV23 in the infield for a while, and it just wasn't for me...
I thought you were my PRO12TC brother?

Hrking4675

The Veteran
Re: 1799 Custom

I saw that on the glove builder it has those odd double knots, but no MIV 1799 stock models have that - just check and see the 2017 1799 does.

Was curious about this... Wonder why its there?

Hrking4675

The Veteran
If it was that 6 one we discussed, that thing was tttiiinnnyyyy!!!! Did you order that one specially small, or did it just turn out that way? Seemed more like a 12 inch... or if a 12.25 rv23 actually plays 12.5 then maybe that was a true 12.25
I'd always wondered if that was intended to come out as such or if it was just a rv23 gift to normal/small hand guys from the baseball gods lol

Yep it was. I think it was a normal 12 1/4. It came with the wrong web though, sometimes that makes em feel different.

thirdbase24

Addicted to Softballfans
I thought you were my PRO12TC brother?

Haha. PRO12TCB is still in my bag every game. Its my 'old faithful'. If I feel I'm being let down by my equipment (because its never me), I'll still go to it. And have a brand new backup in waiting. And one from Bob. I still love my 12TCs!

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans

I saw that on the glove builder it has those odd double knots, but no MIV 1799 stock models have that - just check and see the 2017 1799 does.

The YP66 is the same way. It doesn't seem to make any sense, but it must to someone. The ELO-B has two knots, but that is because one lace is not long enough to attach the entire web, so they use one piece for the top 3 bars and another for the base. But in that case, the second knot is up at the cross bar above the base, not at the base itself. It looks like one lace attaches the top and middle bar, but then runs down to the top of the base before getting knotted and then a second lace attaches the base. A 60" lace should be able to handle the entire run, so if they only have 48" laces, they may be forced to do this (I can't imagine that though). Or another possible reason for this might be to allow you to loosen up the middle bar without loosening up the base.

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans

I was told it was the factory, MIV versus MIJ. I guess it has to do with the thickness of the ends of the laces at the base of the web and the way each factory now cuts the laces. The A2K is able to still use the single knot because they changed the way the cut the lace to provide thicker ends while they opted to use shorter laces with the A2000. I'm left to assume the PI A2000's will be single knots.