Need Help Switching to 52/300

stutzdaddy

Star Player
Does anyone have any info on the safety reasons the ASA used when deciding to switch from 44/375 to 52/300 balls. I play in a military league on base that we still use 44/375 balls. Its mandatory, although we supposedly follow ASA rules. We provide the balls ourselves so its not like we are asking the base to find money to upgrade. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

saint

Voted '15 Mod of the Year
PM tattooball and can probably link to specifics, but cliff notes:

ball hits person, the 52/300 does significantly less damage and stays closer to true to cor/comp in heat.

gaternation

Addicted to Softballfans
It amazing reading on how many people died from the 44/375 balls:confused:
Grown men playing the game for decades with red dots, blue stitched balls, 44/525 etc and now everyone is saying that the world will come to an end unless the 52/300 ball is used. :wtf1:

saint

Grown men playing the game for decades with red dots, blue stitched balls, 44/525 etc and now everyone is saying that the world will come to an end unless the 52/300 ball is used. :wtf1:

so you don't want a safer game?

gaternation

Addicted to Softballfans
I didn't say that, it was my commentary on the fact that millions(not thousands) of games were played using that ball and shockingly no one died and people enjoyed the game a lot. That's all

B-radical

Addicted to Softballfans
I still enjoy the game. Probably more now...... granted I didn't get to play with .44/525's, but I have hit them.

In games we used to use the .44/375, now the .52/300 which I prefer. HR's are up across the board for one thing.........

BigSam

Addicted to Softballfans
First hit on google search for "52/300 safety" is:

The Following is an Article written by Kevin Schullstrom of A.D. Starr Sporting Goods addressing the 52/300 Softball.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

COR is the ability of the ball to rebound away from the impact area. The lower the COR, the higher the impact Therefore when a player gets struck by a lower COR ball, the impact drives into the body instead of wanting to rebound away from it. When a ball drives into the impact area it is transferring the energy into the impact, creating a much more severe impact.

Compression is the hardness of the ball. When high compression and lower COR are combined, the impact rises to a point that it is beyond severe levels. The harder the ball the less flex it has on impact. An impact of a .44/375 ball has the initial impact of about the size of a quarter. Now the force of the ball is transferred into the impact that spot. The ball does flex somewhat after the initial impact but the damage has already occurred.

High COR balls:
A high COR softball will reverse direction much quicker on impact lessening the force transferred to impact spot. By the ball rebounding away from the impact spot the damage is reduced by a great deal.

Compression:
Now lower the compression with a high COR ball and you now have an impact spot about 2 times the size of a low COR ball.

Scary Part I.
Severity Index (SI) is the measurement of the impact on a National Operating Committee on Standards for Athletic Equipment (NOCSAE) http://www.nocsae.org head form. Anything above 1200 SI can kill you. Anything close can kill you. During testing using an American Association for Laboratory Accreditation (A2LA) http://www.a2la.org accredited NOCSAE approved test facility testing was performed for head form studies. These tests were performed on NOCSAE head forms and impact data collected through force load transducers.

.44/375 softballs were constantly testing above 1800 SI. Many tested above 2400 SI. And some tested as high as 3600 SI. Now it is proven that SI’s above 1200 will break the skull and or cause severe brain trauma. This is unacceptable in recreational sports.

Now the .52/300 balls using the same test and the same facility yielded impacts of less than 500 SI, and while testing the balls at different weights none of the ball that were within an approved spec tested above 500 SI.

Also tested were a couple of .50/525 balls and were found less dangerous than a .44/375, but still way above the 1200 SI.

Peak G’s is the G force that the Brain can take before you have severe brain trauma. 180 peak g’s will cause a severe brain trauma. Anything below 170 is acceptable. With the new .52/300 balls they tested around 157 to 165. Extensive testing was done on different weights. As long as the balls are made at less than 6.7 ounces they will pass the peak G’s no problem.

So a brief review:
We can make a ball that is safer for play. Keep 300 foot fences in play and not lose the home runs. Have a ball that is much less sensitive to cold or heat, and allow softball players to go out and have fun like we used to do without the fear of dying every time a ball is hit at them.

Scary Part II
NOTHING is safe traveling at you at 100 MPH, even a tennis ball can kill you if it hits the exact spot at the exact time. But the .52 COR 300 compression ball is much safer than what we have made in the past. Nose, fingers, and other bones can still be broken but the skull structure will be much less affected by this ball than before.

saint

I didn't say that, it was my commentary on the fact that millions(not thousands) of games were played using that ball and shockingly no one died and people enjoyed the game a lot. That's all

The rules were changed to make the game safer. Thousands of people have been severely injured and many have died from playing a game they enjoy a lot. We have had numerous threads and even taken donations for some of those.

gaternation

Addicted to Softballfans
The rules were changed to make the game safer. Thousands of people have been severely injured and many have died from playing a game they enjoy a lot. We have had numerous threads and even taken donations for some of those.

Many have died? I would like to see any data on that where the ball caused a death. Have there been deaths from a heart attack while playing ball or a stroke or something like that, probably yes. I would like to see anything other then a 64 yr old guy getting hit in the chest and having a heart attack that a 44/375 caused a death. That statement is moronic and way over the top to be making a point.

Chrisklol

301' Bombs
Many have died? I would like to see any data on that where the ball caused a death. Have there been deaths from a heart attack while playing ball or a stroke or something like that, probably yes. I would like to see anything other then a 64 yr old guy getting hit in the chest and having a heart attack that a 44/375 caused a death. That statement is moronic and way over the top to be making a point.

There is a guy here in houston who has been in a coma for almost 2 weeks now. Hit in the head with a line drive while standing at third base.
He isn't even breathing on his own..
Don't think for a second people don't die every year from playing this sport..

http://forums.softballfans.com/showthread.php?t=1355678

gaternation

Addicted to Softballfans
There is a guy here in houston who has been in a coma for almost 2 weeks now. Hit in the head with a line drive while standing at third base.
He isn't even breathing on his own..
Don't think for a second people don't die every year from playing this sport..

http://forums.softballfans.com/showthread.php?t=1355678

Sorry to hear that about the person. However I don't feel like a 13 page comment section about this subject which has been written about before. Hope that guy gets better.

Chrisklol

301' Bombs
Sorry to hear that about the person. However I don't feel like a 13 page comment section about this subject which has been written about before. Hope that guy gets better.

I was just giving you your proof. People can be killed, or seriously injured.

saint

I can think of a handful that have been posted here. Not counting many more that are not.

goro25

Sin Vergüenza
There was a teammate of a board member that took a throw to the ear sliding into home and died. That was a couple years ago.

smokeum99ta

Addicted to Softballfans
Our league was a test site for these balls 4 maybe 5 years ago and I'm glad we switched. I've taken several off my feet while pitching that I know would've broken something if the other balls were used.

stutzdaddy

Star Player
Thanks for the help to all and I am sorry I restarted an old thread I am new to the forums and this is my first time playing since 1998. Just trying to get back into everything.

jdsebastian85

The Veteran
So you have to work a little harder to hit hrs and piss missles. But i guess we are all p****** for making the game safer. I think it is great for making t he game a little safer. Why not?

Captain10

E skills playing D Ball

Decades ago there were single wall aluminum bats and not the hot ass composites that people shave and make even hotter now.

We still arent using the 52 300s in ASA tournaments here but I definitely wouldnt be opposed to going to them. Im all for making the game safer and leveling the playing field.