Other Need help with a call

JLamb

Addicted to Softballfans
For future references.

I umpire at BLD, which some of you know is USSSA but not completely those rules. Here is the play I need assistance with.

One out-Bases loaded.

Batter one hops the wall. Runner on third scores, runner on second is off with the pitch and is almost home and here is were the question lies.

The runner on first takes about fives steps off the bag towards second and the hitter touches first and runs past the runner on first. Neither of them make it to second base so they are not on the same bag at the same time.

What is the call?

I called the batter out for passing the guy on first, runner on first-gave him second, runner on second, that almost scored-made him go back to third, and runner on third-scored.

Did I make that right call, should I have called dead ball and made all runners go back? The team was winning 29-1 in a classification game so it really didn't matter. Just want to make sure of the right call in case it happens again in a closer game.

Thanks

Last edited:

MaverickAH

You were correct in calling the B/R out. Where you made an error is that the ball should've remained live & play should've continued with all other runners subject to be put out. In your particular case the runners on 1B, 2B & 3B should've been allowed to continue resulting in 2 runs scored, runner on 2nd & 2 outs.

The only possible way that runs could have been taken off the board is if the runner passing another runner resulted in the 3rd out. Anything happening after you record the 3rd out is null & void just like in a live appeal.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
"Batter one hops the wall" - does that mean the batted ball hit in the outfield then went over the outfield fence? Everyone should move up 2 bases from where they were at the time of the pitch. Runner starting on 2nd should score, runner starting from 3rd should score. Runner starting from first would be on 3rd and the batter-runner should be on second.

As for the B-R passing the runner - when did it happen? During the dead ball or before the ball went out of play? I find no rule support for declaring an out if they pass each other during a dead ball situation (unless I'm missing it). If he passed before the ball went out of play, declare him out. If it was after, I have no infraction.

IrishBlue and I talked about this a little while ago where ISF specifically states that you can have an out for passing another runner during a dead ball base-running situation. ASA and USSSA don't mention it and say the ball remains live when you declare a runner out for passing another runner.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
Eddie, hit to the outfield that reaches the fence after only one hop. At least that's what I'm getting out of it. In that case Maverick is completely correct.

OldguyinHavasu

Addicted to Softballfans
yeah, thats not real clear, I read ground rule double, dead ball, all runners get two..., but I can see what Jug is saying, in which case, that is correct.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
Eddie, hit to the outfield that reaches the fence after only one hop. At least that's what I'm getting out of it. In that case Maverick is completely correct.

Agreed, if that is the case, he's absolutely correct. I was unclear on "one hops the fence".

JLamb

Addicted to Softballfans
Sorry I wasnt clear

It was not a ground rule double. The runner on first thought that the hit was going to be a home run so he didn't run. The team was out of home runs and if it would have been a home run, the batter would have been out.

Sorry, it was not a ground rule double.